adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 am

Why do you need mouse control buttons?

You've never bought from Ebay? Ever?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:57 pm

adam1991 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 am Why do you need mouse control buttons?

You've never bought from Ebay? Ever?
Agreed, on WMC I never needed a mouse unless i wanted to do some management (work on the PC) and in that case, I have a wireless keyboard for.

For day to day using WMC for content, there is no need for a mouse, and if you have something that needs something, maybe there is a better option for what your doing ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Edgar_in_Indy

Post by Edgar_in_Indy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:56 pm

adam1991 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 am Why do you need mouse control buttons?
We use a mouse frequently for YouTube, Hulu, Amazon Prime etc. Sometimes having the mouse built into the remote can work in a pinch and saves me the trouble of getting up and looking for the mouse.

Edgar_in_Indy

Post by Edgar_in_Indy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:49 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:13 pm Not sure why you are having problems finding a Media Center remote. Go on ebay, do a search for "Media Center remote" and you will have 100's to chose from. Some new but, used ones are normally a really good value..

There are a lot of really nice fancy ones and even the standard ones. The HP ones are actually fairly nice ones if you use only WMC features, it's comfortable to hold, has direct access to movies, DVR etc.

There are really tons to chose from STIL...
I can't say I have experience with tons of WMC remotes, but I have used a few, and I still favor the old Adesso on my Windows 7 HTPC for several reasons. I just fished a Microsoft model 1039 WMC remote out of a drawer and did a comparison with one of my Adesso remotes. Here's some of the differences I appreciate:
  • The Play/Pause buttons work in all of my streaming services, such as YouTube, Hulu, and Amazon. The MS remote Play/Pause does not work in any of those.
  • On the Adesso remote, the play button can be used to play and pause. You don't have to switch back and forth between buttons like on the MS remote. This seems to be the case across the board, in any application where the Adesso works, not just WMC.
  • It has full mouse controls, which often saves me the trouble of getting up and going after the mouse, for when I'm feeling particularly lazy.
  • The Adesso has a "Close" button in the bottom left, which seems to execute an ALT-F4. It will immediately exit out of WMC, out of a program, out of the browser, close a window, etc. If there's nothing open, it will bring up the computer shutdown dialogue. I use this button A LOT. I have not found an equivalent button on the MS controller.
  • There is a button on the top-left that opens your internet browser.
  • The Adesso is noticeably lighter than the MS controller, and is therefore more comfortable to hold.
  • The volume buttons are more responsive on my Adesso, but maybe that's just an issue with my particular MS controller
In the past I also tried a couple other WMC remotes...one from Gateway I believe, and a kind of weird shaped one from HP. From what I recall, they were pretty much functionally identical to the Microsoft remote.

I have three of these Adesso remotes in use, and I bought another new one that showed up on eBay a while back, and I'm keeping it in reserve in case I need a replacement. If somebody else knows of a similar remote that is still being sold, I would love to know about it.