Android tablet used as monitior?

stevethebrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

Android tablet used as monitior?

Post by stevethebrain » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Can I use a android used as monitior & for programming recorded TV.
I recently switched from TV to a 4K projector for the majority of viewing.
My AVR only has one output, so I wanting to add a splitter to either use the TV or preferably a tablet to program.

So can a android 6.0 mashmellow be used to program or must the tablet be a windows tablet?

Amazon.com: [3 Bonus Items] Simbans Presto 10 Inch Tablet | 1GB RAM, 16GB Disk, Android 6.0 Marshmallow | IPS Screen, Quad Core, 2+5 MP Camera, GPS, WiFi, USB, HDMI, Bluetooth PC Computer: Computers & Accessories

I don’t use the tablet much mainly use as a larger 10” view of my dept. finder on my yacht it’s a wifi so I can move it anywhere.
The tablet has a hdmi plug.

I'm thinking it can only be a monitor because it's a differnt operating sys.
Thanks for advice.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 am

You can probably use a version of VNC or a similar screen sharing app.

I think it should work fine for setting up recordings, etc, but not sure how video would look on it...

It would connect to the WMC machine via WiFi, not via a video output.

Here is a thread that talks about some of the options:

viewtopic.php?t=6683

VNC is free and has several different branches that people have made based on the original. I believe many are available for Android tablets.

You would have to set up a VNC server on the WMC machine and run the VNC client on the Android device.

There are also a programs like Remote Potato that allow you to schedule programs but has a more limited functionality (but can stream video, even real-time re-encode it to a smaller bitrate for streaming over the Internet) but I'm not sure if that would work on the Android tablet (they used to have an app, but I think that is no longer available).

stevethebrain

Post by stevethebrain » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:47 pm

thanks adding apps ect. seams kindof complicated (I'll readup on it) mite be easier for me to get a small TV

I've read that the so called 4K splitters actuelly reduce the resolution down to regular 1080p kindof like electricy takes the path of least resistance and the only way to have higher than 1080p is have 2 outputs on the 4K capable AVR or connect source PC directly to projector.
thanks for advice.