Changing out drives and WMC

mmurley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mmurley » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:38 pm

I really, really wish I could edit the original post.

After trying everything, I went back to original Seagate 500 GB 3.5" drive - and everything works. Okay, let's clone it to the 500 GB 2.5" Samsung SSD again. I did. Same thing.

1. Live TV works on some channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, Weather Channel, C-SPAN, PBS) and on the others I get "Copying Prohibited" - which is crazy because it's Live TV.
2. Recorded TV plays.

And, intermittently, the "Copying Prohibited" changes to "PlayReady Update Failed" and then back to "Copying Prohibited".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video card. But it works with the original drive... Tried changing HDMI cables - but they work with the original drive (not sure how HDMI cables would affect a hard drive anyway).

Somehow, in some way, Spectrum or WMC knows that it's not the original hard drive and is stopping encrypted channels from playing? The very Ceton and WMC-savvy cable card tech didn't think so, but that's my current stab in the dark.

Unfortunately I can't setup my TV signal again as it always stops at updating PlayReady, which fails. And if I try to to force an update*, WMC crashes.

Minor update. I was able to reset DRM using viewtopic.php?t=3760 but it's still saying "Copying prohibited".

*https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 42fafe4757

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:48 pm

FINAL (I hope) UPDATE

After finally resetting DRM using this tip (viewtopic.php?t=3760), I was able to "re-set-up" my TV signal in WMC successfully (it never even mentioned updating PlayReady or flew by it so fast I didn't see it).

Then I set up EPG123 again. And restarted WMC. And it works.

Now I'm just waiting for USPS to deliver my i7-4790 CPU (I upgraded from a Celeron G1840 to an i5-4430 successfully... and then I got a wild hair) which got here... and then went to Greensboro to come back here...

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 am

mmurley wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 am
adam1991 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 am We've seen that happen before. It's a problem with your provider.
And the solution? To clarify, it's at this time, since I put the computer back together, it's happening on a channel I need the TA for (SDV).*

*I went out and haven't gone through at 1000+ Spectrum channel listings.
Just to let you know, this answer from adam1991 is not correct. He tried to give me the same reply when I had a similar issue recently.

It's the Windows DRM getting borked. It's got nothing to do with your provider changing anything.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:21 pm

oakley516 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 am
mmurley wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:47 am
adam1991 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:36 am We've seen that happen before. It's a problem with your provider.
And the solution? To clarify, it's at this time, since I put the computer back together, it's happening on a channel I need the TA for (SDV).*

*I went out and haven't gone through at 1000+ Spectrum channel listings.
Just to let you know, this answer from adam1991 is not correct. He tried to give me the same reply when I had a similar issue recently.

It's the Windows DRM getting borked. It's got nothing to do with your provider changing anything.
Yes, as my final update (above) says, once I reset DRM as per this - viewtopic.php?t=3760 - I was good to go. I had to clear my tuners and rediscover them and set up my TV Signal again in WMC (and EPG123, but Spectrum had added more channels of nothing to watch anyway).

I wish I could edit my original post because that would (might) help others in the future without them having to read the whole thread.

billybax

Post by billybax » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:35 pm

My Win 7 WMC system crashed with the blue screen of death and would no longer reboot. An old backup I had also had the same problem. I did a clean install of windows 7 and everything worked except live TV. My recordings on different drive all worked. Live TV setup always failed with the error, Error while loading Playready. I downloaded this Simplix UpdatePack 7 21.2.10 and it installed 44 updates and then everything worked.

https://www.225 Cemetery Lanemajorgeeks.com/files/details/simplix_updatepack.html#:~:text=Simplix%20UpdatePack%20enables%20you%20to%20update%20your%20live,%28Install.wim%29.%20It%20can%20be%20installed%20in%20any%20language