Receiver Service Stopped Unexpectedly?

scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Receiver Service Stopped Unexpectedly?

Post by scyto » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:48 am

Because of my Ceton tuners disappearing one ever two weeks or so I got my media center to see my HDHomerun prime.
It can record on them just fine.
However about once a day all tuners say they can't record because the receiver service terminated unexpectedly O r sometimes it says tuner not installed or working correctly, if I hard kill ehrcvr and restart then scheduled items record just fine.

Any ideas or is it reformat time?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:46 pm

Sounds like something is damaged, I have seen this before. If you left on system restore on your machine, you might be able to fix it quickly. I have done this a few times when this failed (always leave system restore on a WMC machine).

Start run "services.msc" find all the media center services (3 of them) stop them all.

Browse to
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

Look for mcepg*.*.db (look at the last modified date for the newest one). It's in the root of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome.

Back it up first (copy it to another folder) then Right click on it, go to previous versions tab. *IF* you left system restore on, you should have a few listed there. GO back a day or so when it was working fine and select restore. After it is finished restoring reboot the computer and try again... If it does not work Try another date

This process fixes almost 95% of WMC crashing issues in what I have seen...

If you want to start over, just run the recovery task
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

scyto

Post by scyto » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 pm

thanks, does this reset my recording history etc?
Will this require me to redo TV setup for the tuner i added on sunday?

If it does a reset is it worth moving to the alternate EPG provide app posted elsewhere (i am in US)

scyto

Post by scyto » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:04 am

Edit, I have restore points setup but no previous versions as you describe, I guess I need to flush WMC database. Do you know if a reset will break my DRM recordings?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm

scyto wrote:Edit, I have restore points setup but no previous versions as you describe, I guess I need to flush WMC database. Do you know if a reset will break my DRM recordings?
DRM is based off WMP's DRM. Resetting WMC SHOULD NOT break this.

If your worried about your recorded series, Use http://seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

Easy to do backup your recorded series, reset WMC, and re-run to restore, it should bring everything back.

To reset WMC, in Scheduled tasks, there is a "MediaCenterRecoveryTask" Run this, reboot and Media Center will be back to First run (first time WMC is run)..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:45 pm

[quote="DavidinCT"]Sounds like something is damaged.

Start run "services.msc" find all the media center services (3 of them) stop them all.

Browse to
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome

Look for mcepg*.*.db (look at the last modified date for the newest one). It's in the root of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome.

/quote]
This worked with adding steps of
Delete all the dB files.
Use search indexing control panel to delete the search index and rebuild
Setup epg123

Thanks for pointing me in right direction
PS previous versions needs to be enabled for the drive - system restore does not enable previous versions.

scyto

Post by scyto » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:48 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
scyto wrote:Edit, I have restore points setup but no previous versions as you describe, I guess I need to flush WMC database. Do you know if a reset will break my DRM recordings?
DRM is based off WMP's DRM. Resetting WMC SHOULD NOT break this.

If your worried about your recorded series, Use http://seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

Easy to do backup your recorded series, reset WMC, and re-run to restore, it should bring everything back.

To reset WMC, in Scheduled tasks, there is a "MediaCenterRecoveryTask" Run this, reboot and Media Center will be back to First run (first time WMC is run)..
I did this last night by just deleting the DB files, no impact on DRM. Thanks for the link to that tool, I lost my series, but only took a few mins to re-add using mymce! I will use that tool to go modify my record buffer - cool!