W8 WMC key questions

choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

W8 WMC key questions

Post by choliscott » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:28 am

Like others, I have noticed an increased requests to purchase W8/8.1 WMC keys since MS no longer is selling them. While I understand the request, what I'm curious about is if the people who want to purchase fall under the one or more of the following scenarios:

1) I've been using WMC for XP, Vista, 7 & want to upgrade to W8/8.1
2) I just found out about WMC and the only version of Windows I have is 8/8.1
3) I just found out about WMC and I have Windows 7 &/or 8/8.1

The reason why I'm asking is that it seems with the active requests for W8 WMC keys & some other threads, that it seems that the only available version of Windows that works with WMC, is available & still supported (any combination) is W8.1.

Last I checked W7 still worked with WMC (Using this myself). W7 is still supported thru 2020 (yes it's on extended support now) & unless MS does something, will probably still work after the extended support date end (like people are still using XP today) & last I checked you can still purchase an OEM version of W7 from Newegg

seajunk

Post by seajunk » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:23 pm

I think the other case is people reinstalling windows 8.x from scratch and realizing they didn't write down their previous wmc key.
If you have a working WMC, its a good time to archive a system image.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 pm

Was looking to upgrade to 8.1 WMC to have a functional and 1080p Netflix app.

Ended up buying a Roku and sticking with 7.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:52 am

JTScribe wrote:Was looking to upgrade to 8.1 WMC to have a functional and 1080p Netflix app.

Ended up buying a Roku and sticking with 7.
Only problem with Netflix on 8.1 is you cant control it with a remote and that wrecks it to be used as plugin for WMC.

That was my ONLY hope for WMC on 8.1 is to use 8.1 apps as shortcuts in WMC but, I have not found ANY that works with a remote so, Windows 7 is the best option if you want WMC
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012