WMC install file: Anywhere to download now that it's dead?

Shaqtinafool

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC install file: Anywhere to download now that it's dead?

Post by Shaqtinafool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:39 am

I have a product key I got from a kind member in the forum.. but for some reason my copy of windows 8.1 Pro doesn't have WMC installed?

Where can I find this download? Any ideas? Anyone have an install file backed up they can dropbox me?

Any help is appreciated!

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 am

Windows 8 & 8.1 doesn't come with WMC as part of it. You have to go into control panel & select the "Add Features to Windows" option. It will ask for the WMC key (which is different from the Windows install key by the way).

If the key is valid, it should install WMC

Shaqtinafool

Post by Shaqtinafool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:35 pm

choliscott wrote:Windows 8 & 8.1 doesn't come with WMC as part of it. You have to go into control panel & select the "Add Features to Windows" option. It will ask for the WMC key (which is different from the Windows install key by the way).

That worked! Thank you!

There is now white text in the lower right of my desktop that days Windows 8.1 pro with media center and a build number.... Is that normal?

seajunk

Post by seajunk » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:02 am

It usually means windows isn't activated.
Check activation through control panel->system and security->system (or just press windows+x then choose system). Follow the bouncing ball on the link if windows needs activation.
Sometimes it needs verification after installing a windows feature.

Shaqtinafool

Post by Shaqtinafool » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:07 am

seajunk wrote:It usually means windows isn't activated.
Check activation through control panel->system and security->system (or just press windows+x then choose system). Follow the bouncing ball on the link if windows needs activation.
Sometimes it needs verification after installing a windows feature.
Thanks! What a great community. Hope I can help out others in the future.

Yourpcmedic

Post by Yourpcmedic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:31 pm

Is there a way to:

1) Retrieve your WMC product key
2) Completely remove WMC
3) Reinstall WMC from scratch

My understanding was that Microsoft removed the "Add features to Windows" option when support was dropped. ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3107057 ).
Another link I found that I find promising, yet still somewhat dubious. it does not seem to give removal instructions though short of a complete OS reinstall. ( http://www.eightforums.com/general-supp ... stall.html )

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:26 pm

I don't think there is a supported way of removing WMC. What is your goal? There are ways to "factory reset" WMC so that it acts like a fresh install.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:18 pm

In Win7, you could go to 'Uninstall or change a program-Turn Windows features on or off', and remove and reinstall Media Center that way. Is that, or an equivalent, not an option in Win8.x?

Yourpcmedic

Post by Yourpcmedic » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Not an option in 8.x. My goal is to solve a problem with WMC not recording unless I manually navigate to the channel.

mismjy1

Post by mismjy1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:11 am

As far as retrieving the key, I had problems with that myself and called Microsoft. Eventually I located the email order confirmation (try searching from:Microsoft Customer Support) which contains the key.

I also have an nagging issue with WMC (thinks it is running out of disk space with > 1TB free) but have not found a way to reset. Tried disabling and enabling through control panel, but that didn't change a thing. About ready to reinstall the whole machine unfortunately...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:28 am

choliscott wrote:Windows 8 & 8.1 doesn't come with WMC as part of it. You have to go into control panel & select the "Add Features to Windows" option. It will ask for the WMC key (which is different from the Windows install key by the way).

Or you can go grab the Windows 10 version (the hacked version), A few people claimed that it installed into Windows 8.1 (it's the version that they are using, ripped from 8.1)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012