Windows 8 Consumer Preview 2/29

cw-kid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cw-kid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:32 am

Regarding auto logging on to windows 8 I'm not 100% sure mine was fully working as expected will try and test again and report back.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:38 am

Pretty sure it works for me, if I turn on the PC from shutdown I am logged into Windows automatically and the Windows Metro menu is then displayed, there is an issue where if media center is set to launch at startup it will remain in the background behind the Metro menu.

If I then bring MCE to the front and then put the PC in to S3 sleep, when I resume from sleep MCE is shown again.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:04 pm

saxnix wrote:Can't for the life of me figure out where my settings are different, but on my desktop I keep getting the password screen when ever I step away for a couple of minutes (and it is driving me nuts!), yet on my laptop I don't. I recall turning off the lock screen on the desktop but can't remember where that was. Could that be the difference?

I have used netplwiz on both machines to auto login. I have "Require a password on wakeup" setting to NO.

Any advice would be great.
Fixed this on my Win 8 CP today, tried all kinds of registry edits, but no joy.

It was very simple CONTROL PANEL/USER ACCOUNTS
(Under the account name on the right side you will see "Local Account" "Administrator" "Password Protected")
The problem is password protected. Choose change password, enter old password, leave new password boxes empty and press next.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:00 pm

Does anybody have some advice on how to install Intel video drivers (core i3)? I'm getting an error saying my system doesn't meet minimum requirements.

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:13 pm

mcewinter wrote:Does anybody have some advice on how to install Intel video drivers (core i3)? I'm getting an error saying my system doesn't meet minimum requirements.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... -Windows-8

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:28 pm

jerryt wrote:
mcewinter wrote:Does anybody have some advice on how to install Intel video drivers (core i3)? I'm getting an error saying my system doesn't meet minimum requirements.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... -Windows-8
Thank you :)

Added after reading: Wow, what a PITA

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:02 am

jerryt wrote:
saxnix wrote:Can't for the life of me figure out where my settings are different, but on my desktop I keep getting the password screen when ever I step away for a couple of minutes (and it is driving me nuts!), yet on my laptop I don't. I recall turning off the lock screen on the desktop but can't remember where that was. Could that be the difference?

I have used netplwiz on both machines to auto login. I have "Require a password on wakeup" setting to NO.

(Under the account name on the right side you will see "Local Account" "Administrator" "Password Protected")
The problem is password protected. Choose change password, enter old password, leave new password boxes empty and press next.
Thanks for the hint. It has helped, but still not working the same as on the laptop. Now, it comes up with the locked screen, but you can just click on the screen and it goes away. So now that I don't have to enter a password, why am I still getting the screen??

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:01 am

saxnix wrote:
jerryt wrote:

Thanks for the hint. It has helped, but still not working the same as on the laptop. Now, it comes up with the locked screen, but you can just click on the screen and it goes away. So now that I don't have to enter a password, why am I still getting the screen??
Try cycling the power setting "Require a password on wakeup" setting to yes, reboot, no reboot...

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:23 pm

jerryt wrote: Try cycling the power setting "Require a password on wakeup" setting to yes, reboot, no reboot...
Gave that a try but still no change in behaviour.

tommo

Post by tommo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 am

Scallica wrote:
nxsfan wrote:Would you mind quickly running over obvious changes (if any) from win7 media center?
They changed the copyright stamp to 2012. That's about it.
There is a subtitles shortcut button alongside the now playing controls, so now we can click once to get subtitles. Hopefully if they have time media center 9 will include a shortcut button to change the zoom level.

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 pm

saxnix wrote:
jerryt wrote: Try cycling the power setting "Require a password on wakeup" setting to yes, reboot, no reboot...
Gave that a try but still no change in behaviour.
I would try disabling "Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only ".
See; http://web.synametrics.com/syncrifytaskwopwd.htm

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 pm

Gave it a shot, but no change. Still showing the screen. More annoying than anything else but hitting enter is better than having to type the password every time - just confuses me as to why it is behaving one way on one machine and a different way on another??

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:30 pm

saxnix wrote:Gave it a shot, but no change. Still showing the screen. More annoying than anything else
What is different? Was one an upgrade from Win 7?

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:52 pm

No, both were clean installs - the laptop was done on a separate partition, the desktop on a separate physical hard drive. Both set to run dual boot.

jerryt

Post by jerryt » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:35 am

saxnix wrote:No, both were clean installs - the laptop was done on a separate partition, the desktop on a separate physical hard drive. Both set to run dual boot.
Go to the "Control Panel".
Click on "Appearance and Personalization".
Click on "Change Screen Saver".
Unclick "On resume, display logon screen".

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:33 am

That is already unchecked.

It is a strange one.

tommo

Post by tommo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 am

saxnix wrote:That is already unchecked.

It is a strange one.
resinstall or system restore.

All out of the blue media center just stopped working on mine. As soon as it booted an error appears, a sys restore sorted it.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:54 pm

Just to say I was not using a blank password. I set a password for the user account and then ran: control userpasswords2, selected the account I wanted to auto login and then unchecked the "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" it then prompts you to enter and confirm the password for that user. As long as you also go in to control panel power settings as I previously described and set that setting, it should then work and boot right in to windows metro and resume back to MCE etc. No login screen etc for manual intervention.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:06 pm

As I have tried everything you suggested, and other things I found online - with no luck, at this stage I have re-enabled the lock screen and made the password blank. So now when it locks all I have to do is hit enter once and I am back up. Still not the experience I have on the laptop, but as close as I can seem to get at this stage. Thanks for you help and suggestions.

Crewski

Post by Crewski » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Has anyone tested the back-to-back recording bugs? One of the worst things for me is having to set all my series to "10 minutes after". Why can't MC just use the same tuner and write to two separate files during the overlap time. On certain nights when I have a lot of recordings going on, the 10 minute after requirement robs me of a lot of tuners.