Windows 8 Consumer Preview 2/29

dmagerl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by dmagerl » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:44 am

tommo wrote: Just pray they actually bother fixing it before it's released as the win8 one looks like they just fired it up and it worked and they marked it as "working".
They havent even fixed the mislabelled zoom settings yet.

Like others, I'm not sold on the UI. It's like everything takes more mouse clicks to accomplish anything. For a tablet, its probably great. For using a mouse, not so much..

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I was sent this today. It kinda sums up my feelings on Win8.

Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:44 pm

And did you know you can have up to two Metro apps side-by-side? It would have been a HIT back in 1985 with Windows 1 or the crippled version of GEM.

Because they lost the phone and tablet markets, Microsoft had to do something new to stand out. Now they're all in, betting the company on unifying the mobile interfaces for devices no one cares about with the desktop where they're hugely successful, where it makes zero sense. They've discarded good UI design principles by creating multiple hidden 1-pixel hotspots that are essential to operate the stupid thing, they've introduced a colossal endlessly scrolling mode in the form of the Metro screen, and they've fractured the application market into Metro and "old Windows apps". Touch is at best very awkward to use on the desktop and will never be a big thing there. The Kinect or something like it, perhaps, but not Touch. I'm going to call this OS "Windows Hobgoblin", because it is the epitome of a foolish consistency of little minds.

aeroconfigs

Post by aeroconfigs » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:27 pm

milli260876 wrote:How many button presses to shut the pc down from the desktop? That in itself is a reason not to buy it... Ad in no remote capability for"apps" and that's it... I had high hopes for the metro UI after wp7 but for an htpc it just doesn't work....
three... same as windows 7

mouse to right edge, 1. hit settings, 2. hit power, 3. hit shut down

STC

Post by STC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:01 am

It looks like mak has started a new thread on the subject:

http://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtop ... =49&t=1825
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123