WMC 8 randomly reset itself - After resetup crashes on schedule or record

AlCapwn

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 8 randomly reset itself - After resetup crashes on schedule or record

Post by AlCapwn » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:35 pm

Hey everyone, I have been running without issue for a very long time. Yesterday I happened to notice my EPG icon was red, checked the log and said no tuners and couldn't update the mxf. I opened WMC to my surprise it had reset itself. While inconvenient due to my lengthy recording list, not the end of the world.

After going through the setup again, I had a slight hiccup after disabling the always on internet and proceeding with the TV setup when it finished WMC crashes and restarts itself. But after completing the rest of the EPG setup the guide and everything updated correctly and everything looked normal, live tv worked fine but when re-scheduling shows. Immediately after trying to add a show WMC crashes, when you reopen the show is added (albiet with the wrong default settings as it wants to record new+rerun) but I attempted to continue on regardless. Until I then decided just to try recording anything and the same crash occurs, and recording never starts.

I did manage to find the same issue posted here viewtopic.php?t=11466 but my .db files have no previous version tab available.

I have no idea if the initial setup WMC crash is related or not. The only thing 'changed' is there were 4 windows update KB's grabbed the same day, but none appear to be WMC related AFAIK
KB2267202
KB5016568
KB5015874
KB890830

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I remember a long while back when trying to help out my father with his WMC there were some CMD commands to fully reset WMC but I can't seem to find them. The only thing I can find is the -mediacenterrecoverytask which doesn't fix anything and is not what I remember (my best recollection was it was at least 2-3 commands)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13969

Looks like KB5015874 breaks WMC by replacing the ehtrace.dll file.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

AlCapwn

Post by AlCapwn » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:07 am

That's great news, thank you so much! I'm unable to replace just the ehtrace.dll due to permissions and decided to just remove the update, appears to work :)