1/11/2022 Windows Update (KB5009624) Breaks W8.1 WMC

tdarlington3

HTPC Specs: Show details

1/11/2022 Windows Update (KB5009624) Breaks W8.1 WMC

Post by tdarlington3 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:56 pm

Yesterday morning I finally did the Tuesday Windows updates on my Windows 8.1 PC I use to record TV.
Last night WMC was unable to record.
Tried manually and WMC was unable to start the external HD Home Run tuners.
Right mouse clicked on a show in the Guide and selected "Record".
Highlighted with a red dot for a short time while it tried and them the red dot disappeared.
Gave a long error code for WMC.
Tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMC to no avail.
Then uninstalled the latest monthly Windows Update (KB5009624) and everything worked.

Has anyone else encountered thus?
Any fix short of uninstalling and turning updates off?

Any way to notify Microsoft of the issue?

Thanks !!!

tdarlington3

Post by tdarlington3 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:55 am

Apparently an issue with Norton and/or MalwareBytes.

atlupo

Post by atlupo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:30 am

Just found something similar.

I have 2 Ceton InfiniTV 6 Eth and 2 SD HomeRun tuners. 2 Win 8.1 PCs were configured to use the InfiniTVs and after this most recent MS update all recordings failed and I was getting “subscription required” on all channels. When I reconfigured Media Center on these PCs to use the SD HomeRun tuners I’m back and able to view and record all channels. Another 2 PCs were previously configured to use the SD HomeRuns, were not updated, and are still OK.

First attempt to remove KB5009624 and try again with InfiniTVs was not successful. But I’m going to keep trying to see if I can get the InfiniTVs working again (with or without the update). Will try re-installing Ceton drivers, etc. Will let all know what I find out.

tdarlington3

Post by tdarlington3 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:49 am

I ended up having to uninstall Norton for WMC to work consistently.
Ended up the Windows update was NOT the problem.

atlupo

Post by atlupo » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 pm

I'm back working again. In my case, it apparently had nothing to do with Windows update. And I don't have Norton installed either.

I reinstalled Ceton drivers, reconfigured Media Center, un-installed updates, etc. Still did not work. Ceton diagnostic app showed entitlement errors so I called my cable company (Optimum) and they re-sent entitlement signal to both cablecards and now everything is back to normal (both PCs). And now both PCs have all updates (including the most recent ones from this past week) re-installed and all is still working.

So, my problems were specific to cablecard entitlement issues and had nothing to do with Windows updates, etc.