How to backup DRM keys for WMC8?

trs71

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to backup DRM keys for WMC8?

Post by trs71 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 pm

Backup DRM keys for WMC So you can watch previously recorded programs?

Its time to roll back to a previous win 8 on marcum reflect. How do you save the DRM keys. I know you can do it, I have years ago, but that memory cache has been cleared... :D

Space

Post by Space » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:54 pm

You can search for "mspr.hds" here in these forums. This is the file you need to copy and save so that after you do the image restore you can overwrite the existing "mspr.hds" with this one (the current, up-to-date one that has all the licenses for all your DRM recordings).

Here is one description of how it can be done.

Essentially you save the file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\mspr.hds" from your current drive. Then restore your old image.

Then you need to overwrite the mspr.hds file on the restored image with the one you saved. This can be done in several ways...

One way is to boot off that restored drive, then stop the “Windows Media Center Receiver” Service (so that the file will not be "in use" and unwritable), then overwrite the existing mspr.hds file on the restored image with the one you saved (on another drive or partition). Then restart the “Windows Media Center Receiver” Service.

Another way to do this is to just copy the file over to the restored image if you are able to do that (without having to boot from the restored image first) and then you don't have to deal with disabling/re-enabling the Service. This, of course, means you have to be able to do that from whatever environment you are in when you restore the image (booted off a USB disk or another disk/partition other than the one you restored).

Another option is to boot in to "Safe Mode", then copy the file over and then do a normal reboot.

trs71

Post by trs71 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:39 pm

Hey thanks!

I think I had to boot the restored image from safe mode on the !st boot and change files,or it would copy-protect my shows randomly, later even if I watched some of it on the fresh restore.

I tried shoehorning this into Win10 when that came out, what a joke that was....never should have done that.

trs71

Post by trs71 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:30 pm

Hey I've got that same problem as before, I copied my hds file over the Program data one, which I pulled from that folder on an earlier .img file of win8, that plays all DRM fine, but after I shut off wmc reciver service and copy hds file, which is there after a reboot, it will NOT play copy protected recording?

Ideas? Do you have to copy file before windows 8 is ever booted or something?

trs71

Post by trs71 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:43 pm

Hey I found this post- https://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewto ... 09#p147549

I did an install from disk and wiped win8 completly, is the good DRM junk in that case?

Space

Post by Space » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:11 pm

The mspr.hds file is only good if it is paired with the system image that created it.

If you re-installed Win8 (instead of restoring an image copy that you had made earlier) then the mspr.hds will not work with your re-installed OS.

The post to which you linked explains what is required to be able to playback your old DRM recordings. You cannot "install" the OS and expect old DRM recordings to play back, you need to restore a previously backed up image of the OS drive/partitions in order to play them back.