PlayReady Issues

trelf

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by trelf » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 pm

jeepman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:36 am What do others think about this one?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 42fafe4757

I don't have time to try it tonight, but I wonder if it still works, or was it even a valid approach?
I've actually tried that a couple ways. If I drop to command prompt during the initial MC setup, and follow those instructions, when going back, Windows throws up an error message, MC crashes, and re-opens itself. If I just go to Setup->TV->TV Signal->Update PR, it does "work" (meaning, the PR update fakes completion), but I still can't watch my copy protected channels.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:53 pm

seang86s wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Hi Garyan2. Were you able to set up a cablecard tuner and view protected content? During a new setup, Playready installs successfully when running thru the Setup TV Signal portion, but at the end it tries to update Playready components and that is where is fails. I'm primarily using Windows 7 for this. I've tried installing Playready as part of WMC setup and tried installing Playready 1.3 and 1.31 manually with no success.
This is why I'm wondering it isn't that PlayReady needs updating at all. A bit like when WMC tells you the video drivers are missing when the problem is actually an issue with the audio stream, I'm wondering if the HDHR part of the setup detects that there's an issue and simply assumes that PlayReady must need updating because that was how it was programmed.

People who use DVBLink frequently get a message about PlayReady needing to be updated but at least they can just ignore it and everything works (most of the time).

If you think about it, the software developers probably wouldn't check to see if a dependency is newer than expected so my question is, has anyone tried the older version of HDHR software (the one from 2015) and the old version of PlayReady?

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm

If you think about it, the software developers probably wouldn't check to see if a dependency is newer than expected so my question is, has anyone tried the older version of HDHR software (the one from 2015) and the old version of PlayReady?
I will have to check my "Downloads" drive to see if I saved it, or would that be something that SD would have as a download still. I also saw Ceton mentioned in another thread. I had the InfiniTV card for a bit, and I may have those drivers, or possibly even an ISO of the install CD in case there is something from Ceton that should be tried.

Also, quick question: Should I even be expecting a VM running 8.1 Media Center to playback DRM protected content? If not, then I will need to install 8.1 on real hardware on a spare drive, but I am trying to avoid that 4-6 hour effort and get it all working on a VM first.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:17 pm

I was under the impression that playing video in WMC in a VM was tricky because WMC likes to talk directly to the graphics card. However, being as I haven't used VMs of any flavour for probably 12 years, I'm not really able to say.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:30 pm

I will have to check my "Downloads" drive to see if I saved it, or would that be something that SD would have as a download still. I also saw Ceton mentioned in another thread. I had the InfiniTV card for a bit, and I may have those drivers, or possibly even an ISO of the install CD in case there is something from Ceton that should be tried.
So I guess in hindsight, I was not as organized as I thought. I have some HDHR software from around 2014, and for Ceton, I came up blank. I suspect what I could extract from the install packages is already out there, but I am still disappointed I don't have any new software to contribute.

For next steps, I will keep searching each day, as I hope someone discovers a workaround for the PlayReady issue, I would hate to see this issue become a show stopper, no pun intended.

seang86s

Post by seang86s » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:25 pm

jeepman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:03 pm

Also, quick question: Should I even be expecting a VM running 8.1 Media Center to playback DRM protected content? If not, then I will need to install 8.1 on real hardware on a spare drive, but I am trying to avoid that 4-6 hour effort and get it all working on a VM first.
A VM should work. I have a Windows 7 VM running under Hyper-V (2019) that was set up before 1/14/2020 that works just fine. I can record and play back copy once cable channels via the extenders attached to it. This one is using HDHomeRun Primes as the tuners which were running the latest firmware and software at the time (it seems SiliconDust did release a February update but I haven't tried it). When I did this install, Playready worked without any issues.

This VM was only supposed to be temporary as I upgrade some hardware. When I tried to build my new, permanent VM after 1/14/2020 is when I encountered all these Playready issues. Unfortunately, I cannot migrate this working VM to different machines because the "hardware" changes are enough to cause Playready to throw up a flag to re-activate.

My "legacy" Windows 7 MCE machine installed on bare metal with a Ceton PCIe card around 2014 also works fine MCE wise.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:43 pm

seang86s wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:25 pm (it seems SiliconDust did release a February update but I haven't tried it)
I actually updated to the February Update, so that is another complication for troubleshooting, because as you said, you are not running the version I am.

As an aside, I updated to the Feb. HDHR version to troubleshoot some issues with HDHomeRun View standalone software. I cannot watch channels above 21 on my HD Prime 3 tuner setup, but my OTA Duo shows all of its channels just fine, since they are un-encrypted. So right now, the only system that I can view DRM channels on is my W7 Ult 32 bit box, which was set up years ago. I am now totally worried about a reactivation since it seems that PlayReady has issues.

n127

Post by n127 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:14 pm

trelf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 pm I've actually tried that a couple ways. If I drop to command prompt during the initial MC setup, and follow those instructions, when going back, Windows throws up an error message, MC crashes, and re-opens itself. If I just go to Setup->TV->TV Signal->Update PR, it does "work" (meaning, the PR update fakes completion), but I still can't watch my copy protected channels.
Try this: record new copy protected shows, then play them back. Do you get any errors? Sometimes you can play newer ones, but not old ones.

trelf

Post by trelf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:12 am

n127 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:14 pm
trelf wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:19 pm I've actually tried that a couple ways. If I drop to command prompt during the initial MC setup, and follow those instructions, when going back, Windows throws up an error message, MC crashes, and re-opens itself. If I just go to Setup->TV->TV Signal->Update PR, it does "work" (meaning, the PR update fakes completion), but I still can't watch my copy protected channels.
Try this: record new copy protected shows, then play them back. Do you get any errors? Sometimes you can play newer ones, but not old ones.
The channels are blank and have no sound. Even if I were able to record said content, I'd like to resolve not being able to tune them live. PlayReady simply will not finish its "update" (whatever that means), and to MC, that means I can't do anything with copy protected channels. :think:

mce99

Post by mce99 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:15 am

The version of PlayReady that downloads in Windows 8.1 is 1.3.10. The version in my properly working Windows 7 Home Premium is 1.3.0.
The Windows 8.1 PlayReady download is supposed to be available here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -windows-8
But the links 404.

I tried installing 1.3.0 first, but Windows 8.1 automatically downloads and installs 1.3.10. So the download of 1.3.10 is still available, even though the link above is torched.
Note that the failure happens after the download completes and installs successfully and after the Cable Card setup completes. After the cable card setup, PlayReady is invoked again to update and we get the error:
The playready update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content until the update is successful.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 pm

Found the following link in another thread: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10360

I will try the #2 solution in the above URL.

I found all this in this interesting thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11654&p=126998

I am hopeful because it seems a few of us having the issue have an HDHR Prime Tuner. I don't have access to my VM from work, so I will have to try this evening after replacing a dishwasher's sump pump and motor.

trelf

Post by trelf » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 pm

jeepman wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:42 pm Found the following link in another thread: https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10360

I will try the #2 solution in the above URL.

I found all this in this interesting thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11654&p=126998

I am hopeful because it seems a few of us having the issue have an HDHR Prime Tuner. I don't have access to my VM from work, so I will have to try this evening after replacing a dishwasher's sump pump and motor.
Here's to hoping it works for you! I tried everything I could find, including all suggestions from the forums here, and SD's forums. After a couple days of trying, and nothing working is when I finally started this thread.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:05 am

trelf wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 pm Here's to hoping it works for you! I tried everything I could find, including all suggestions from the forums here, and SD's forums. After a couple days of trying, and nothing working is when I finally started this thread.
Well... TBH, me trying the same steps is the Einstein Method, where I would be expecting a different outcome from the same steps, etc, and if it didn't work for you, then I will wait and see what else comes up.

trelf

Post by trelf » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:27 pm

jeepman wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:05 am
trelf wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 pm Here's to hoping it works for you! I tried everything I could find, including all suggestions from the forums here, and SD's forums. After a couple days of trying, and nothing working is when I finally started this thread.
Well... TBH, me trying the same steps is the Einstein Method, where I would be expecting a different outcome from the same steps, etc, and if it didn't work for you, then I will wait and see what else comes up.
Yeah, I totally get it, and very much appreciate your trying the same steps! Ultimately, I'm wanting to be the odd man out - that way, I'd at least have hopes of getting this issue fixed. If one of us can't make it by this hump, I really have no idea what to do, next. I'm crossing my fingers and toes, at this point. ;)

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:50 pm

Without sounding too much like an idiot, are you all installing the Win 8/8.1 version of PlayReady? There is a separate installer for win 7 and win 8.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:35 pm

jachin99 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:50 pm Without sounding too much like an idiot, are you all installing the Win 8/8.1 version of PlayReady? There is a separate installer for win 7 and win 8.
I think so, this is the filename: "PlayReady-v1.3.2313.10-amd64.msi" but part of the issue is that the download links on MS'es pages are broken in many cases, so I am just going by what I downloaded from @technodevotee's page.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:26 pm

I am under the impression that people have installed the PlayReady files from my site on Windows 8.1 and it seems to work.

seang86s

Post by seang86s » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi folks. Please try activating Playready now and see if it works for you. I was able to activate a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 install.

Unfortunately, I'm doing this remotely so I haven't actually tried tuning in a Copy Once flagged channel yet.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:38 pm

seang86s wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:18 pm Hi folks. Please try activating Playready now and see if it works for you. I was able to activate a Windows 7 and a Windows 8.1 install.

Unfortunately, I'm doing this remotely so I haven't actually tried tuning in a Copy Once flagged channel yet.
I checked your HTPC Specs, but they are not entered. What CableCard device do you have? I am curious because I have the HDHR Prime 3 tuner, and I have seen others with that device having issues. If you have like a Ceton, and everything works, this could be interesting data.

seang86s

Post by seang86s » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 pm

I have both. My legacy install (installed circa 2014) running on bare metal uses a Ceton InfiniTV6 PCIe but that has worked throughout this entire time (mainly because nothing has changed hardware-wise). My working VM and my non-working VMs are all using HDHomeRun Primes (4 of them). My non-working VMs (Windows 7 and Windows 8.1) are now working as of 4:30PM EST and if I kept other VMs that I created for troubleshooting that were not working, they would probably work now as well.

It has nothing to do with the kind of cablecard hardware you're running. The issue was solely PlayReady. I'll explain later how it was fixed when I receive more info. In the meantime, I'm hoping others can try to see if their newly built or existing machines that have been flagged as needing a PlayReady "update" are now working.