White bar and a xbox extender

trs71

HTPC Specs: Show details

White bar and a xbox extender

Post by trs71 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm running 8.1 with WMC Installed from scratch, and I'm getting a thin white noise bar on the far right side of the screen on certain channels, I'm used to it now but I never had this with 7.

Also, I'm getting a screen flash to black from the recorded tv menu to watching the program, when it's changing resolutions (I Think), and sometimes the screen never recovers and I've got to switch HDMI INPUTS or REMOVE/INSTALL HDMI Cable, OR HIT THE ON/OFF button on the pc. How do I stop this, match resolutions on desktop somehow or?

Finally, There is no way to use an Xbox 1 as an extender, right?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:27 am

The white bar issue sounds like the old Windows 7 white line problem.

There was a hotfix for it - I still have the MS zip file but I lost the password that opens it (it's from 2009!)

I'm pretty sure it just set the Logical Width value in the registry.

If you open up regedit and go the key below, see what the Logical Width is set to, then reduce it by 1, I did have to reduce it by 2 on one old Sony TV:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DisplayService

Best to backup the key first, or at least get a screengrab!

The second issue does sound like the resolution - or refresh rate is maybe changing.

Have you gone through the display setup in WMC? Maybe re-run it and make sure you use the same resolution and refresh rate

I'm pretty sure there was another reg fix for preventing refresh rate changes, I'll have a look.

Lastly, there is no way to use the XB1 as an extender :(
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

dab2kab

Post by dab2kab » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:29 am

You cant use the xbox one as an extender like you can on the xbox 360. It MAY someday be possible to use Kodi on the xbox one as an extender replacement. The kodi app on xbox one is currently in beta so you can download it, but ive never been able to get the wmc plugin for kodi to work on it to try to connect it to my pc. Im hoping this will change when the app is finished, or that it is simply my own lack of knowledge causing the issue. But kodi is your best hope for someday using the one as an extender of sorts.

trs71

Post by trs71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:08 pm

Lol sorry I thought I replied to this I've been too busy to worry about it. The HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\DisplayService
doesn't exist on Win 8.1, but there was an almost identical reg entry and I tried what you said and it totally screwed up the screen to a very low resolution.

I did fix there screen flash tho thanks for that. :D

I'm also posting a question about HDhomerun Cable card tuners, After a new install it seems to work perfectly, but after a few months, WMC keeps losing all tuners,no tuners available- and only a reboot of everything, router,box,pc seems to fix it temporary-thats why I went from win7 to win8.1-same issue. All the tuners show up in the HDHomerun app. A image restore to an earlier time fixes it for a while, but then I lose my newly recorded DMR shows.

Also it often tells me the "No signal" for a second or 2, but signal is at 100% when ever I check it.