Flash issue with media center

A place for App developers to hang out / post
Post Reply
MrNorth

Posts: 60
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

Flash issue with media center

#1

Post by MrNorth » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi!

I am almost about to give up on this project... one snag after another. Now the MCML us is working rather nice with a little help from you guys here, BUT, and a big BUT is that there is something really wierd going on with the Hosted HTML parts I desperatly need to playback the video.

My app is supposed to play videos from a local public service source, and I have written a small html file that has embedded the jwplayer component, so I can playback rtmpe files.

Here are my issues:

When playing from IE desktop http://mysite.com/player.html... it works perfectly

when playing the same using %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:http://mysite.com/player.html... it fails with a generic error message "could not load player configuration". I have not been able to troubleshoot this further... and the guys at longtail are clueless when it comes to media center. They are satisfied that it works in a browser, so no help there.

When I try to show another site with flash content, like

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:http://www.adobe.com/se/software/flash/about/ it works perfect

when I try to show an example page like

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:http://www.jwplayer.com/ it fails with the same message "could not load player configuration".

Does anyone have any clue what is going on. I read some old blog posts about the flash player not available on 64 bit systems, but since the adobe site can load without problems, I guess those issues are solved. There seems to be SOMETHING that is preventing the jwplayer flash component to run in media center, and it is not my fault, since their own page is also displaying the same symptoms.

I am clueless, and how friendly the guys at longtailvideo are, they don't have the ability to troubleshoot something that is opened from within media center.

Without this, my app is a s good as dead, so I would appreciate any and all assistance in troubleshooting this further.

DanB_DE

Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:58 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by DanB_DE » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:06 pm

i did a short test and make an interessting observation:

Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit:
The first time I startet mc with your command line:

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:http://www.jwplayer.com/

It was working and I could start the video with Audio.
They second time I did this I got the error message you described.

My first thought was maybe a cookie etc.. but deleting this cookie didn’t help.

I found an other link and testet it :

%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:http://www.902advertisinggroup.com/jwplayer6/

Same behaviour. First time it works, second not. i guess if you test this link, and you never did it bevor on this System it will work.
please Report.

Looks like something is saved. Maybe this will help you or give you an direction.

I found the link on this discussion:

http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/fo ... iguration/

hth

DanB
#

MrNorth

Posts: 60
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 9:46 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by MrNorth » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:07 pm

Hi!

I spent the better part of the night and morning with this stuff, and I also made some interesting observations. It turns out that running stuff in a browser and running stuff in a media center hosted html app are two completly different beasts.

1) jwplayer 6 is not working at all in hosted html, for unknown reasons... you might be on to something though with your observations

2) jwplayer 5 I did get working in hosted html, yeaaah!

3) When startin a hosted html app from command line using
%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /url:http://www.902advertisinggroup.com/jwplayer6/

the qyerystrings are omitted, I spent several hours trying to figure out why the player is not playing dynamic content, but for some reason it disables querystrings,I tested with a simple js alert(window.location). And that line of js outputted different text depending on where I ran it. Maybe a security issue or something? Or a bug.

Whenn running the exact same stuff in media center from my app, it includes the querystrings and my javascript parsing is working, and jw player is playing dynamic content, yeahh!!

Now I am just fiddling with minor stuff (like making the player fullscreen, it works nicely in browser, but in hosted html it is not paying attention to my html styles, so I guess I need to find some alternate styles that hosted html DOES adhere to. Gaah! Also need to plu in some remote commands, but that should be easy, I already have the js functions in place, just have to hook them up to the jwplayer.

Developing for WMC is a pain to say the least, with so many things behaving differently... but I guess patience is a virtue here...

thanks for the help with your observations!

/H

Post Reply