HDMI Mute Fix

A place for App developers to hang out / post
SMC

HTPC Specs: Show details

HDMI Mute Fix

Post by SMC » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 pm

I've been living with the fact that my ATI graphics adapter mutes the HDMI audio out whenever my AV receiver switches to a different input, or is turned off. I thought about programming my remote control to deal with this, or doing some Event Ghost thing. Then I thought: Hell, I'm a software developer ... why don't I write a little software to fix this?

After several hours of messing around with handling various Windows events that might tell me I need to un-mute the audio, I gave up and went with a brute-force timer scheme. Every two seconds, it checks to see if the PC audio is muted. If it's muted, it un-mutes it. It uses no detectable CPU time, and about 1.5 mb of RAM.

I've been running it for a few days, and it works like a charm. There is no installer. Just one .exe file that you can put wherever, and run it. If you want it to run on system startup, put in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
Attachments
HDMI Mute Fix Source.zip
Source code buildable with Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 Express for Desktop (free!)
(8.69 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
HDMI Mute Fix.zip
Win64 executable
(37.84 KiB) Downloaded 114 times