InfiniTV to ClearQAM Channel mapper

A place for App developers to hang out / post
glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV to ClearQAM Channel mapper

Post by glugglug » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:39 am

THE AUTHOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES. BE SURE TO HAVE A WORKING BACKUP BEFORE TRYING THIS PROGRAM
Most if not all of the APIs used in this app are undocumented, and I am guessing at the usage by trial and error. There are probably many bugs.

InfiniTVToQAMMapper.1.1.zip
version 1.1, including source
(114.06 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
I have created a utility which reads the channel map from the InfiniTV, and uses it to create QAM channels and merge them.
It also detects if you have channels in your channel map which are not in your MCE guide and creates those as well!! You can assign appropriate listings to any channels added this way. There were about a dozen in my case which MCE does not add for my chosen lineup (TWC Jamaica, NY), but they are there on some other lineup that gets downloaded for the zipcode, like DirectTV or something, and you can select these and they work!

It also tries to detect channels that have previously been incorrectly merged and fix them.

It looks at your downloaded "Digital Terrestrial Lineup" (even if you don't have an OTA tuner) to identify callsigns of OTA channels, and assumes that at least these should have ClearQAM tuners added. You can select other channels to add & merge QAM channels by selecting a different option in the "Action To Take" column for that channel.

If there are multiple things wrong with a channel, it will choose the most critical one as the current "status" and an appropriate default action for fixing that first. Therefore channels may require multiple passes to get completely straightened out.
Also, creating a QAM channel for one cablecard channel can change the status of another if they share the same EIA number, as it no longer needs it created, just merged. For safety, whenever the status of a channel changes, the selected action reverts to None, so you'll need to select all default actions and run again for whichever channel comes second in that case.

Changes in version 1.1:
[*] Now reads the channel map from the InfiniTV as XML if you have the latest beta firmware. If not it falls back to reading it as HTML.
[*] Fixed likely crash if you have a DVB channel from a satellite tuner merged with a CableCARD channel.

Changes in version 1.0.0.1:
[*] Hopefully fixed issues with UserHidden channels confusing the analysis and getting duplicated.
[*] You can now click column headers to change the sort order. Columns can also be re-arranged.
[*] Improved error handling. Sending myself an e-mail isn't working due to authentication, so for now if an unexpected exception occurs it just pops up the error info in a window you can copy/paste.
[*] Removed console window

Known limitations/bugs:
[*]The background thread from the MCE libraries that wakes up after adding a channel to update your scheduled recordings was crashing the app with an InvalidOperationException("Access Denied"). I block this thread in the app to prevent this. So after updating your channels, I'd recommend going to settings->TV->Guide->"Get Latest Guide Listings" in MCE.
[*]My guess is that this build will work with x64 only because of references to MCE DLLs that contain some native code. If you provide the following DLLs from the C:\Windows\ehome directory on Win7 x86 I can probably make a 32-bit build: BDTunePIA.dll, mcstore.dll, mcstoredb.dll, mcepg.dll
[*]I also get access denied errors if I try to grab the lineup lock during editing as MCE normally would. Therefore I'd strongly recommend against editing channels within MCE and the app simultaneously.
[*] The InfiniTV must be installed in the PC where you run this, not shared over the network to that PC. Shared tuners might possibly be supported in a future release (are you guys able to download the map from the client PC in that case?)
[*]Currently only QAM256, QAM64, and ATSC channels are supported. Analog channels will not be added in this version.
[*]A ClearQAM tuner is currently required for this application to work. In the future it may support adding missing CableCARD channels without a ClearQAM tuner.
[*]For right now I leave disabling the background scan to you, rather than trying to get elevated privileges for that. I recommend disabling it if you haven't already.

InfiniTVToQAMMapper.1.1.zip
version 1.1, including source
(114.06 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Attachments
channel mapper screenshot.PNG
screenshot
channel mapper screenshot.PNG (174.21 KiB) Viewed 2334 times
Last edited by glugglug on Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Moved to Developers Corner ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:30 am

re-uploaded as the original archive was somehow corrupted.