WMC TV Channel Status

A place for App developers to hang out / post
Kick4U

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC TV Channel Status

Post by Kick4U » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Hello, I really don't know enough about programming as I wish and have been putting a lot of my free time on the weekends to try and understand and learn.

Before I get deep into my project I want to know if anyone sees it feasible and maybe knows of an application that already achieves this.

My goal is to acquire the current channel being viewed or recorded on WMC and preferably know which tuner it's using. I see that TV Content can be acquired through

Code: Select all

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms816505.aspx
, but this will only flag that it's TV content. Is there a way to know what channel has been "blasted" last and have a trigger for when it changes? Maybe this is all I need?

Code: Select all

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa468300.aspx
If you think you could achieve this, PM and we can negotiate :geek:

Thank You!

Kick4U

Post by Kick4U » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:49 am

So I still haven't come up with a solution, but I think I'm getting close. I've researched that ehmsas.exe (Media Center Media Status Aggregator Service) contains the current channel being viewed, as it was used to communicate such information to front panel displays years ago using MediaDisplay from the MCE SDK.

Is any of you familiar with this process? I'm trying to find a file called "Tunertracker.dll" which seems to do what I'm looking for. Maybe someone has this archived somewhere...

Thank You!

Kick4U

Post by Kick4U » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 pm

Seems this is completely possible and now I need a few free evenings to spend on figuring out how to accomplish this. I found a project called VMCController (Windows Media Center TCP/IP Controller) that provides this data, but the WayBack Machine doesn't have the downloads archived (shucks!).

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Kick4U wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:13 pm Seems this is completely possible and now I need a few free evenings to spend on figuring out how to accomplish this. I found a project called VMCController (Windows Media Center TCP/IP Controller) that provides this data, but the WayBack Machine doesn't have the downloads archived (shucks!).
I have that one. There is a little more to it than that though because VMC Controller hooks the MSAS service I believe. Any time I have had a program hook that service on Win 7 WMC stops responding to playstate commands from both the remote and the GUI. I can host the file if need be but I bet I have a post in the third party apps forum somewhere that might have a link. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11878

There is a little more to it than this, and the MSAS has been deprecated in WIn 7 in favor of the Object Model I believe.