WMC7 x64 problem with vsfilter and subtitles

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
ratbrain

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC7 x64 problem with vsfilter and subtitles

Post by ratbrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:59 am

Running: WMC7 x64, vsfilter 2.41 is installed. I've tried x64 version and x86 version alone. and also both installed.

Cant get .sub/.idx files to display while playing mkv within media center.

What I also discovered thru the process is that when I play a mkv outside of media center, launching the mkv with a right click and open with sub menu and selecting WMP, the mkv plays and displays subtitles.

Then trying to trouble shoot I realized when starting WMP12 x86, this version displays the subs correctly. When launching WMP12 x64, no subs. I also notice the task bar does not show the green arrow icon for vobsub.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both x86/x64 versions of vsfilter [2.39 and 2.41] with installer and by cmd line without any success....

My other HTPC running x86 wm7 works flawlessly. However, I cant get the x64 version working to display subs correctly.

I have COREAVC w CUDA acceleration/AC3/Haali codecs installed. I've never used codec packs and never had any issues until installing x64 os on my new HTPC build.

any ideas? why isnt vsfilter loading correctly?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:52 pm

You may have better luck adding a .srt subtitle file to your movie folder. I've had better luck using them instead. Lately I've been muxing them into my .mkv files and they work great on both x86 and x64 bit OS. http://www.opensubtitles.org/en/subtitl ... 57/safe-en
newfiend

ratbrain

Post by ratbrain » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:53 pm

i have .srt .sub and .idx in the folder ive been testing....

no luck....

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:46 pm

I had some issues with this in the past as well. The last xy-vsfilter installer I have for x86 and x64 that worked in Windows 7 (last I tested) is version 3.0.0.211.
I recently updated to Windows 8.1 w/ Media Center. I installed the xy-vsfilter and had no subtitles as well. I was using LAV filters and xy-vsfilter for subs in Win 7 and it worked fine.
After I couldn't get them working on Windows 8.1 I opted to try Shark007's pack. I have always been against using codec packs and just installing the codec's and splitters I needed but Windows 8 proved to be a bit of a pain.
I installed Shark007's Advanced codec pack and set it up for bitstreaming to my AVR etc. and it's worked splendidly. It uses LAV codecs now and all my subtitles are working in Media Player and Media Center.
I would suggest you give his pack a try. Just make sure you remove any codecs or splitters you currently have installed first. Also avoid installing any of the bloatware that comes bundled with Sharks Pack.
So far its been the easiest and simplest way to get everything to just work that I have come across. http://shark007.net/
newfiend~

ratbrain

Post by ratbrain » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:25 am

thanks for the suggestion. im at the end of my rope here and really dont want to resort to codec pack but i think that may be the simplest solution as it sounds like that may just end up being the solution....

my only remaining thought is if there is a way to force media center to open wmp x86 by default. ? is there a way to do this?

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:24 am

ratbrain wrote:my only remaining thought is if there is a way to force media center to open wmp x86 by default. ? is there a way to do this?
If you're looking for a minimalists approach to codec installation, I suggest that you use my STANDARD Codecs release.
If you feel the need to have FFDshow and Haali, then the ADVANCED Codecs is your only option.
It is my opinion that the above deprecated software's are not required by the average user.

WMC does not use WMP for video playback but both the 32 and 64bit Media Center use the 32bit WMP for audio playback.

When using the Windows players and my codec releases,
be sure to check the box for the [x] SUGGESTED settings at the end of the installation.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

ratbrain

Post by ratbrain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:49 am

Shark007, thanks for your input. if WMC does not use WMP as default player , what does WMC use for video playback?

i currently use Haali to enable MKV playback/support. i do not use FFDSHOW. i currently use COREAVC w/ CUDA accelaration.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:06 am

WMC is a player in itself. (ehshell.exe is a player)
Both Haali and CoreAVC are deprecated and to old to even discuss here.
Uninstall both of these before installing my software.
Even CUDA has been surpassed by FFmpeg's dxva implementations (through LAV filters) as a hardware accelerator.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

ratbrain

Post by ratbrain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:52 pm

Shark007, thanks again for the info.

I guess I just haven't been caught up in all the latest software. Think the mentality was setting this all up back in08, Haali + CoreAVC worked and my HPTC was rock solid. Never any issues. Dont break whats not broken. Its the same setup I've used on my oldest HTPC with Q6600 Socket 775!

Today , that is still my main living room setup. Besides a few sticks of RAM I've had to RMA over time, the WMC setup has never been a problem.

Its this new setup on my Haswell ITX build that has given me fits....

But again, thanks for the info. I will uninstall Haali and Core and install the pack and see if this fixes the problem.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:32 am

let us know how you get on with Sharks pack.. I'm sure things should work well once you do.

ratbrain

Post by ratbrain » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:32 am

uninstalled all existing codecs

then installed the standard codec pack

rebooted.

subs now working!

im just amazed....

its been hours spent trying to figure out what the heck was wrong....

did a little testing before and after.

prior with Haali/ COREavc PC was at 26% CPU

after uninstalling old setup and codec pack, PC now at 18% CPU with NVIDIA hardware acceleration

I cant really tell if there is a difference in image quality. but will do some more testing.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:24 am

Glad things are working for you now.. I've had good luck with his pack thus far