Xbox One to play select Xbox 360 games - Future extender?

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
mike_ekim

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:05 pm

STC wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33142538

WMC extender code maybe?
The only thing that will suggest WMC extender on the Xbox One will be if Microsoft makes an announcement about a WMC extender on the Xbox One. No other combination of supported features or capabilities will ever mean that the Xbox One will work as an extender.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:20 pm

I ended up getting an XB1 because of a deal that I could not refuse. That being said I should have refused. I am not impressed with it yet. Waiting for the RDP ability to control windows on it. Mouse support etc... Not sure why we can not get the extender added. I boxed it back up because I do not want both sitting side by side. I originally was going to just get the free monthly games but now that seems you loose them if you are not gold so that's no fun either! Hoping for extender ability and the backward compatibility so I can chuck the older models.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:15 pm

mike_ekim wrote:
STC wrote:http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33142538

WMC extender code maybe?
The only thing that will suggest WMC extender on the Xbox One will be if Microsoft makes an announcement about a WMC extender on the Xbox One. No other combination of supported features or capabilities will ever mean that the Xbox One will work as an extender.
Following up on my own post: I'm doing a bit of pre-purchase research. It seems a MCE PC can be hooked up to the XBox One's HDMI in, and the Kinect's IR blaster will control MCE. I.e. the XBox One's media remote will power on a TV, change an AV receiver's volume, control Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, and control a cable box including a WMC PC. It's not ideal (some HDMI handshake issues) and it's certainly not an 'extender' but it's worth looking into.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:56 pm

mike_ekim wrote:Following up on my own post: I'm doing a bit of pre-purchase research. It seems a MCE PC can be hooked up to the XBox One's HDMI in, and the Kinect's IR blaster will control MCE. I.e. the XBox One's media remote will power on a TV, change an AV receiver's volume, control Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, and control a cable box including a WMC PC. It's not ideal (some HDMI handshake issues) and it's certainly not an 'extender' but it's worth looking into.
If you have a 360, try using that for the HDMI pass-thru. It worked pretty well (including remote functions) when I tried it out when I first got an XBO. Ultimately, I just kept them separate as there wasn't really a use case for my fam to have both machines on simultaneously.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:26 pm

steveo_in_sd wrote:
mike_ekim wrote:Following up on my own post: I'm doing a bit of pre-purchase research. It seems a MCE PC can be hooked up to the XBox One's HDMI in, and the Kinect's IR blaster will control MCE. I.e. the XBox One's media remote will power on a TV, change an AV receiver's volume, control Netflix/Amazon/Hulu, and control a cable box including a WMC PC. It's not ideal (some HDMI handshake issues) and it's certainly not an 'extender' but it's worth looking into.
If you have a 360, try using that for the HDMI pass-thru. It worked pretty well (including remote functions) when I tried it out when I first got an XBO. Ultimately, I just kept them separate as there wasn't really a use case for my fam to have both machines on simultaneously.
Yup, I saw how people do that too, but right now I don't have either XBox.