Sony Looking To Include Microsoft’s DRM ‘PlayReady’ In PS4

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
MinistryOfMagic

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sony Looking To Include Microsoft’s DRM ‘PlayReady’ In PS4

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:48 pm

I found this on gamingbolt.com.

I sure hope this means we will soon be able to use our PS4, PS3 or Vita as a MediaCenter Extender.

"For those of you who are unaware, PlayReady is a content protection solution from Microsoft. The technology enables encryption and Digital Rights Management. The technology was first launched by Microsoft in 2007 and is currently being used in several other services provided by the Redmond based company.

According to a job listing, Sony might be using the technology in all its platforms including the PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. Sony are currently looking for a Principal Engineer that has specialization in PlayReady and implement it in multimedia applications across its three consoles.

Now we are not sure whether this technology will only be limited to multimedia such as music and video or whether it will make its way across digital games as well. Having said that, it’s no surprise that Sony may be borrowing technology from its competitor. Microsoft is best at software applications and Xbox is only a small part of their business.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/sony-working-to-i ... Wp612rP.99"

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:27 pm

I strongly doubt it can be used as a real extender but the main purpose of this is for cvp-2/vidipath which will allow a prime to work with a ps4 similar to how it works with a ps3 but also support a rui and possible guide... It also might allow protected recordings to be streamed as I heard the xbone can now do this with their dlna update... I have not verified this myself as I refuse to get an xbone until it can be an extender.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:41 am

This is unlikely to be related to OCUR/CableCARD. WM-DRM is used from the OCUR to the PC, and it's converted to PlayReady for storage on the PC.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Many services (such as Netflix) use playready.

Some interesting reading...things that make you go hmmmm....
http://www.microsoft.com/playready/newsroom/