Tivo Wants Aereo's Customers

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
miracleed

HTPC Specs: Show details

Tivo Wants Aereo's Customers

Post by miracleed » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:47 pm

bidger

Post by bidger » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:22 am

If TiVo were really looking to pick up Aero's customers they would charge the same $8/mo. that co. did instead of nearly twice that price.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:25 pm

TiVO fails to understand the Aereo customers. They DON'T want to set up an antenna. If they did, they could buy $50 DVR from Walmart and plug it into the antenna without paying $15/month to TiVO.

Sure, there will be a few really technologically challenged people who will buy the device from Best Buy and pay $200 to Geek Squad to come over and install it (connect antenna to the input, connect HDMI to the TV, connect to the network, and enter the zip code), but they will be a minority.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Tivo is barking up the wrong tree going after the Aereo customers.

They are trying to get people who can't afford basic cable TV to buy a dvr, an antenna, and pay each month for their guide service.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:23 pm

So do the makers of the "slick little micro antenna device" who bought a full page ad in my city's newspaper yesterday. There's a copy of it here:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews ... 9e.pdf.pdf

Consumers rush to get free TV after Supreme Court ruling

U.S. households to get free TV with slick little micro antenna device engineered to pull in all over-the-air TV channels for free as law forces network giants to broadcast all TV signals regionally to all 50 states

Free TV: Crystal clear hDTV picture with no cable, no satellite or internet connection and no monthly bills

It's only $88 for what appears to be an ordinary flat antenna, notwithstanding the fact that it is simultaneously "a slick little device", which is how they referred to it a dozen times throughout the verbose ad.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 pm

^ I feel strangely compelled to purchase one of those slick little fandangles :crazy:

[read: Joke!]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

webminster

Post by webminster » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:31 pm

I'd take one, except seems unlikely it'd work magic when tvfool tells me I need a honker antenna rig to get anything way out here. Although, didn't see any caveats on the Web site...
-Alan

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 pm

crawfish wrote:So do the makers of the "slick little micro antenna device" who bought a full page ad in my city's newspaper yesterday. There's a copy of it here:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews ... 9e.pdf.pdf

Consumers rush to get free TV after Supreme Court ruling

U.S. households to get free TV with slick little micro antenna device engineered to pull in all over-the-air TV channels for free as law forces network giants to broadcast all TV signals regionally to all 50 states

Free TV: Crystal clear hDTV picture with no cable, no satellite or internet connection and no monthly bills

It's only $88 for what appears to be an ordinary flat antenna, notwithstanding the fact that it is simultaneously "a slick little device", which is how they referred to it a dozen times throughout the verbose ad.
It's $59 on their website
https://www.clear-cast.com/shop/

I think there is going to be a run on coat hangers... ha ha ha

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:18 pm

STC wrote:^ I feel strangely compelled to purchase one of those slick little fandangles :crazy:

[read: Joke!]
:lol: I got it even before the ETA.

I swear, the very last page of the front section of our paper could be labeled "The Scam Page". It's always something like this. Amish fireplaces, sheets of uncut money, etc.