Windows 8.1 Update April 8th

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:33 pm

mdavej wrote:MS finally comes to their senses:
http://mashable.com/2014/04/05/microsof ... 8-retreat/
I did a lol ;)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

cncb

Post by cncb » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Unfortunately, the update seems to have made no improvements in keyboard navigation in the Metro apps.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 pm

mdavej wrote:My 80 year aunt has no problem with an iPhone, but is completely lost on Win 8.
Not sure if the new patch makes it any easier to navigate. I know I have taught my 5 year old that if he gets stuck somewhere to always press the 'window' keyboard key. That will toggle you back and fourth from your desktop to the metro screens. He has used windows 8 now for over a year on his PC and I never have to assist him. Perhaps because the younger generations will use it as their first OS it will be second nature to them? How is the update? I do not see it yet in the windows update area.

Edited: Installing it now, hope it does not hose my machine.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:47 pm

cncb wrote:Unfortunately, the update seems to have made no improvements in keyboard navigation in the Metro apps.
I think that it would make the most sense to contact the companies who made the individual apps and complain that they aren't compatible with remote/keyboard, and tell them exactly which keyboard keys should do which functions. Maybe even send them a link to the Microsoft documentation for the keyboard shortcuts in Media Center, and/or tell them that you want their app to work with the Microsoft Media Center IR dongle and remote.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:26 pm

STC wrote:
I did a lol ;)

I am doing a LOL on this update. I am not impressed, added no value to me. Ohh well just have to wait for Windows 9 I guess so that no software works on it. From what I read the Windows 9 will have no backwards compliance similar to the XBOX one. Should be interesting.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Does anyone else notice that the above link appears to be some kind of VIRUS? Or, is it just me?

EDIT Must be just me, it didn't do it the second time I clicked on it.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:01 pm

So what's the verdict? Did they add enough keyboard support in Metro to make it usable with a keyboard or remote, in the Netflix app, for example? How about navigating just the main Metro screen with arrows? I don't have Win 8 on my HTPC anymore or I'd try it myself.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:22 pm

mdavej wrote:So what's the verdict? Did they add enough keyboard support in Metro to make it usable with a keyboard or remote, in the Netflix app, for example? How about navigating just the main Metro screen with arrows? I don't have Win 8 on my HTPC anymore or I'd try it myself.
Did you see post #22, and my reply in post #24?

cncb

Post by cncb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:30 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
cncb wrote:Unfortunately, the update seems to have made no improvements in keyboard navigation in the Metro apps.
I think that it would make the most sense to contact the companies who made the individual apps and complain that they aren't compatible with remote/keyboard, and tell them exactly which keyboard keys should do which functions. Maybe even send them a link to the Microsoft documentation for the keyboard shortcuts in Media Center, and/or tell them that you want their app to work with the Microsoft Media Center IR dongle and remote.
I already did this a while ago for Slacker but I would be surprised if they do anything about it. It is already better than Netflix because you can use the Tab key to focus different areas. In Netflix, there seems to be no way to even open "My List" without a mouse. I don't know how to contact Netflix or even if would be worthwhile.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:41 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
mdavej wrote:So what's the verdict? Did they add enough keyboard support in Metro to make it usable with a keyboard or remote, in the Netflix app, for example? How about navigating just the main Metro screen with arrows? I don't have Win 8 on my HTPC anymore or I'd try it myself.
Did you see post #22, and my reply in post #24?
Sorry, I missed those. Too bad nothing has changed.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:09 pm

cncb wrote:
mdavej wrote:My 80 year aunt has no problem with an iPhone, but is completely lost on Win 8. The former is intuitive, elegant, beautiful, simple, logical. The latter is none of those.
You are comparing a phone interface to a PC interface. Most likely she wouldn't have problems using Windows Phone 8.
If Mcrosoft is trying to unify mobile and PC interfaces, and if someone can easily use the W8 phone interface but not the W8 PC interface, then Microsoft has failed to meet its objective.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:16 pm

Anyone notice WMC changes with the MS update on Apr 8 for Win 8.1?

I had lost the Win 8 MC machine (with the update to 8.1 from 8.0) in my shared recorded tv on Win 7 machines on my network, but after the the Apr 8 update (I think it did it) the Lenovo Laptop is now back with its recordings under Shared in Recorded TV.

Any other changes in the update anyone else noticed?