6-Tuner HDHRP is coming!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
Scallica

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Scallica » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:55 am

RyC wrote:I really wouldn't hold your breath waiting. I think we've learned by now that we have to take SD's release schedule with a grain of salt.
I would prefer the product be released when it's fully ready for prime-time, rather than being rushed to market. :silent:
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Scallica wrote:I would prefer the product be released when it's fully ready for prime-time, rather than being rushed to market. :silent:
Gee, I wonder what product you're referring to.

<Church Lady Voice>

Could it be... Echo?

shoffert

Post by shoffert » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:54 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: Could it be... Echo?
As I was reading this, I was hoping you'd say Ceton instead of Echo... since Ceton kinda sounds like Satan.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:22 pm

shoffert wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: Could it be... Echo?
As I was reading this, I was hoping you'd say Ceton instead of Echo... since Ceton kinda sounds like Satan.
That's really funny! I didn't think of that. I was thinking of a product, not a manufacturer... but I can definitely imagine the Church Lady saying, "Could it be.... CETON?"

NNate

Post by NNate » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Anyone heard anything new about this? I'd guess not, but you never know...

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:54 pm

At this point, I'd much rather a 6 tuner ATSC unit...

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:02 pm

It is odd that they haven't released this with the promised transcoding tuners. Wonder if they're having financial issues or if CableLabs is screwing them over.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:30 pm

I think they released the original HDHR Prime well after the announced release date too, but yes, it's been almost 2 years since they announced the (I think 3 tuner) HDHR Prime w/transcoding.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:21 pm

The market for such devices is really saturated and dwindling now. It most probably doesn't make financial sense any more.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:23 pm

I am hoping that they are just waiting for the androidtv release to offer the transcoding device. They had them as a partner I think when the androidtv was being talked about. The two would go hand and hand nicely IMO.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:50 pm

^ Yes, nice thought. That would be great.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:55 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:I am hoping that they are just waiting for the androidtv release to offer the transcoding device. They had them as a partner I think when the androidtv was being talked about. The two would go hand and hand nicely IMO.
A transcoding tuner isn't required with the Android TV, because it can decode MPEG2 (at least, the current hardware can). There are plenty of demo videos of ATV working with a HDHomerun Prime, cable card tuner without transcoding (but only copy freely AFAIK).

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:57 pm

^ Only copy freely natively (the bare-bones OS level). The HDHomeRun View app loaded onto an Android TV can view copy once/etc channels.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:01 pm

Ed  wrote:^ Only copy freely natively (the bare-bones OS level). The HDHomeRun View app loaded onto an Android TV can view copy once/etc channels.

My other thought is they are getting the HDHomeRun View App polished and that will be the driving force on the Android TV. I would think transcoding would just make it much better since they say HD is not supported on the APP currently. Smaller file size = better experience. All the major broadcasters are streaming in smaller files. Makes no sense to send ~8GB a movie. Just my thoughts and hopes. I did see a P-I-P on the AndroidTV somewhere which would be nice on a 6-Tuner Transcoded SD device :) Cross your fingers!

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:50 pm

STC wrote:The market for such devices is really saturated and dwindling now. It most probably doesn't make financial sense any more.
Agreed, I'm more interested the Mohu Channel (http://store.gomohu.com/channels-ota-st ... evice.html) potential at this point with the growing streaming options to supplement OTA broadcasts. If they can figure out how to include DVR functionality for the OTA channels, and ESPN moves to a subscription based online service only, I'm in.

And NFL, you could make a ton of money simply by offering a Single Team Season Package at $100 a pop. Living in PA, I almost never get to see the Dolphins play (not that I have missed much lately).

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:25 pm

So, it's been a whole year since this thread (and the announcement of a 6-tuner prime) was created. The assumed target date of "sometime in 2014" has come and gone. CES 2015 has just finished up, and we have another fresh article from a tech site indicating that they got the low-down scoop from the folks at Silicondust.
http://www.thedigitalmediazone.com/2015 ... pand-apps/

Here are my takeaways and assumptions from the article:
SD is all about the apps right now, and to make these work - they need the right hardware to make it work. To me, this means transcoding. I think the 6-tuner prime was ready to go, but they realized that it wouldn't be able to deliver a reliable HD stream to a mobile device via wifi. So, they went back to the drawing board, and I think/hope we'll see a TC model of the 6-tuner prime this year.
XBOne Dev kit - I'm not really holding my breath on this one. I feel like MS will drag their feet as much as possible on this one. I think MS wants complete control of every bit of media that touches their console, and the SD tuners threaten that idea. It would be really cool to use the XBOne as a DVR box, however to get any real use out of it, an external HDD would be required.

Anyway - I'm curious to see what you guys think about this article.