Welcome to the all new TGB! Introduce yourself here!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
nadspink

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by nadspink » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:39 pm

have been using media center as the households sole provider for tv and entertainment since january of this year. we were on a promotional plan from cox in tulsa, ok that lasted for one year and it was unbelievably cheap. 53.00 dollars a month for 2 hd dvr's, all the tiers, and hbo and starz. when that ran out there was noway i was going to pay more so i jumped in and i love it. have the main setup in the livingroom and another one in the bedroom. when my ceton card comes in it will be back to hd and for onlly an extra 2 dollars. can't wait. and my member is the perfect size, not too big, not too small, just right.

Wolfshadw

Post by Wolfshadw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm the new guy in town. I've dropped by the original TGB from time to time, but never registered. Time to change that, I think. 8-)

I'm originally from Minnesota, USA. After traveling around for about 20 years, I've finally come back home. I got started with MCE2005 and I've always loved the ATI All-In-Wonder cards (I still have an X1800XL AIW if anyone's still running XP and needs a tuner). I got started building my own systems back in the 90s when my old AST DX2-50 just couldn't handle any more upgrades and couldn't cut the mustard anymore. Save for one emergency purchase and a couple laptops along the way, I've been building ever since.

Today's HTPC is based on an AMD Athlon II X2 240 installed on an ASRock 760GM-GS3 motherboard with 4GB or RAM and an ATI (still won't call graphic cards AMD) HD 4670; running Windows 7 Ultimate (Technet subscriber). Right now, it has an AVerMedia AVerTV PCI-Ex1 Tuner card, but I am looking forward to getting my Ceton InfiniTV card. The HTPC is connected to both my HDTV (Olevia 232T) and my projector (BenQ MP610). The projector has a < 20 Foot throw distance, giving me about a 140" diagonal screen; sitting 15 ' away. :D It's also wired into my Onkyo HT-S3200 5.1 surround sound system. My neighbors (small apartment building) all know when it's movie night!

-Wolf sends

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:51 pm

G'day wolf!! Enjoy!! :)
Rich

TonyXL

Post by TonyXL » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Love the site. Kinda reminds me of...well, the old TGB!! Thanks for getting it up and running.

Recently got the InfiniTV, and am loving it. Works great, even though I have an older system. Currently working on getting my XBox 360 extender working from the bedroom. Would also like to add a surround sound system in the near future.

I think I like tweaking my HTPC setup more than watching TV -- anyone else have this problem? :)

-Tony

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:02 pm

I love the site!!! Just tried to reply on the new site for the first time and could not find a reply button. Where is it?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Er...
How did you post your comment above?!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:06 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Er...
How did you post your comment above?!
No on the new MS site that they created not this one. :)

Edit: I figured it out just had to login in again.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Ahh lol, sorry.
I just tried and the reply link is not there. They could be doing some maintenance. Hopefully making some changes...

[edit] I re-logged in and it was still no-go, but looks like it's working now.

Just13d

Post by Just13d » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:42 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Ahh lol, sorry.
I just tried and the reply link is not there. They could be doing some maintenance. Hopefully making some changes...

[edit] I re-logged in and it was still no-go, but looks like it's working now.

No worries!!! :) I just read my post again and I really need to proof read before I hit submit.

grantndub

Post by grantndub » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:04 pm

First I gotta say, I love the set up for this site, it's familiar.

I'm Tarrick from Sacramento, CA and have been using MC as my source of TV for over 5 years now. I'm currently a mechanic but, due to unfortunate circumstances, I'm looking for a career change hopefully in computers. I have MC to thank for most of the knowledge I have about computers. I only know how to use a computer until I bought a HP media center PC. My current setup uses 2 OTA tuners and the rest of our TV comes from online content via Netflix, Hulu, Boxee, and sometimes Kylo. My setup is quite stable and rarely gets rebooted.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:13 pm

So stc, the site is about a week old now (give or take) - what do you think about its progress? For me, I am quite impressed at the number of regulars of the old TGB that have popped up here and also the number of posts and replies is quite favorable.
Rich

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi grantndub and welcome! I think everyone will agree that you really learn, and indeed have to learn, so much when you start with a media center pc! It aint for the faint of heart! :D
Rich

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:36 pm

I certainly like the way things are progressing. Michael keeps springing up cool tweaked phpBB widgets here and there. We're hoping for a nice gradual climb of members with great info being posted all the time.

Today I'm getting up late (one day a week I treat myself). I'm in bed perusing the site on my iphone through Tapatalk. Oh what a joy. Just for kicks I went to TGB.com and was instantly reminded of not-so-nice times. Just loading up the front page took 11 seconds. Totally unusable IMO...

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:38 pm

Crikey! Is it really that bad? I dont go on anymore unfortunately.

Enjoy your lazy day! Oh yeah, what is your name btw? (excuse me if I've asked already)
Rich

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes it really is that bad!
Don't even try posting as Safari locks up for a while on the first key press.

meh....

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh and I'm working today, just getting up an hour later :)

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Fair play that man!! :)
Rich

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is Kenny Duval. I am an IT systems/Network admin for Conklin-Intracom. http://www.conklin-intracom.com/
I spend my days supporting our IPTV deployments across the US and Canada as well as QA testing and troubleshooting for our development team in Greece. I'm a geek at heart and love to play with technology at work at home and at the race track.

When I'm not working I spend my time racing motorcycles across the southeast with WERA. http://maps.wera.com/?x=y

I run several machines from as small as 400 cc's up to the 1000 cc fire breathers.

Onboard video of the 400 *in photo* with data overlay.
http://youtu.be/10y5NVHeD_0
Last edited by Venom51 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi Kenny! Christ you are a braver man than me!!! :)
Rich

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:18 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:Hi Kenny! Christ you are a braver man than me!!! :)
It's not nearly as dramatic as it looks and is safer than riding a bike to the grocery store. It's all good fun. You'd tend to think people that jump out of perfectly good planes that are still flying are nuts but to them it's just good fun. :mrgreen:

Crazy is always a relative term.