Welcome to the all new TGB! Introduce yourself here!

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
kyemg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kyemg » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm Steve from Louisville, KY. Just got into streaming video and MC7 about three months ago. I picked up a Ceton tuner a couple of weeks ago and I'm getting ready to cut loose the Cable/DVR boxes. Just trying to get the wife adjusted to using the new tuner first. Looking forward to hanging out here. Thanks for the nice web site.

Steve

CadeFoster

Post by CadeFoster » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi, I'm Charles (CadeFoster is a character from one of my favorite TV shows, First Wave) and I've been into Media Center since maybe 2006. I'm 35 and work in a software testing lab. I'm from the Boston area of Massachusetts in the US. I was lucky enough to get one of the first InfiniTVs from Ceton by winning their naming contest. They didn't use my name but they thought that "Wicked Super Duper Alley-Ooper" was funny enough to give me one. :D

I'm a computer geek, love sci-fi, explosions, bacon, Media Center and video games. I'm an admin on a Team Fortress 2 server if any gamers are looking for someplace to play. I've been a drummer for 20+ years.

Media Center was really just for my own TV watching until the InfiniTV came along. I'm trying to get my family to accept Media Center and extenders but I've had some trouble with stability that has caused some grumbling and "why can't we have it back the way it used to be?" (cable boxes). That's it!

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Hi, I'm Nico Oosterwijk and I'm a Technical Operations Manager in Holland. Using Windows Media Centre since the first XP MCE. At home using several W7 MC with WHS for all family members to share media.
The media centre in the living has 2 digital tuners for digital cable reception and recording. Also using this PC to control living, ie. lights and heating, by using X10 controls.
Another media centre in the study is using the DVBLink client software to watch TV from the tuners in the WHS. The WHS (2003) holds a DVB-S tuner and the signal is available over the network by using DVBLogic software so all PC's can watch live TV.

My living room media centre system:

As a hobby-project I have written a Click2Record application to program the EPG while away from home. Just read about it on my website http://www.click2record.nl/eng
I am moderator on a Dutch MCE forum called http://www.DeGroeneKnop.nl, and founder of two Dutch sites called http://www.windows-mediacenter.nl and http://www.windows-homeserver.nl.

My other passion is technical Scuba Diving, (cave diving and deep wreck diving) http://www.dirdiving.nl

.Nico

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Welcome fellas! :)
Rich

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:55 pm

stonethecrows wrote:Welcome bud! I've just boiled the kettle, fancy a cup?
Oi mush, you never offered me one!!! Hhmmmppphhhhhhh :(

:d
Rich

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi, I'm Jon. I'm an E. KY native now living in Lawrenceville, GA with my wife and 3 kids. I'm a network and systems administrator by trade, but I mostly enjoy power tools and breaking things...not necessarily in that order.

I've only been involved with HTPCs for about 6 years now, but received my first "computer" nearly 30 years ago. I run a little blog, theHTPC.net, and you can also find me over at the Media Browser CT.

I visited the old TGB daily, but was only moderately involved, answering questions from time to time. I do the same at a handful of other sites, like AVS, MissingRemote and have also been a forum moderator at Overclockers.com for nearly 10 years.

Anyway, nice to see a reboot of the TGB forums and I wish it the best!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 pm

gpatlanta wrote:
StumpyBloke wrote:
FSUGrad1999 wrote:Windows Phone 7 isn't gonna make it. Save your money and go Android.
Why do you think this?
Please don't take offense anyone, but why wouldn't you think this is the question I would ask. Although I think it is a good attempt, MS has never been successful in this arena aside from a small following of dedicated and extremely patient folks (similar to it's MC crowd). But they are up against iPhone and Android which are both awesome and have a huge market and time advantage. They'll just not be able to get the critical mass required unless they radically leapfrog the competition which in my humble opinion just isnt going to happen. Don't get me wrong, I wish them luck, but don't think it'll happen.

Plus, to non-followers, all it takes is looking at the history. Every device they have come up with has been obsoleted in a really bad way fairly quickly. Even Zune already dead....kin.... Nokia is betting on the wrong horse here...but maybe they'll do better in non-US markets. It's siilar to Palm and RIM. Too little too late to keep up with the competition and grasping at straws to old on.

My $.02 here. Don't mean for a holy war (especially in a thread that is so positive about our awesome new community) and respect that others will certainly feel differently. ;)
Everyone has their own opinion and you are entitled to it. I have a Samsung Focus and a Zune. The Zune and Zune Pass are both great. I have never had an issue with them. In fact I like Zune Pass much better than iTunes as I can download whole albums and preview them to my hearts content with out having to purchase the whole album to do so. Plus I get 10 MP3 downloads a month to keep for myself. So I pay 14.99 a month..get 10 songs to keep and unlimited access to the Zune Marketplace to listen to anything i want.. so on average I pay $5.00 a month for unlimited access to tons of music. Since most tracks are .99 cents on iTunes i figure I pay $10.00 of the 14.99 for the 10 songs i get to keep. Thats a pretty good deal IMO.
Plus I can use the Zune Software on my HTPC,PC, Zune and now WP7.
Have you used a Zune HD? they are pretty solid MP3 players. I also really like my WP7.. I like the UI ..And with all the things they are adding to WP7 in the Mango release later this year will deffinately set them apart from iPhone and Android, both great OS's and Hardware are available for both I agree. But I have a good fealing about WP7 they are on the right track to set themselves apart from the competition. Like I said it's all a mater of opinion and what you like. So far my WP7 experience has been pleasant and my co-worker that has a My Touch 4G from T-Mobile w/Android wishes he had bought a Windows Phone instead of his Android Phone after using mine for part of a day.
It's all in what you like.
newfiend~

STC

Post by STC » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:23 am

Hi Jon :)
Glad you could make it.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm

That's cool and the music deal sounds pretty good. I sincerely hope they can be successful with the platform as options are always good.
Greg

gbwelly

Post by gbwelly » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:50 pm

Hello, great site, feels a lot like the old one. I'd say most people will come back once they learn it's here. I'm from NZ and started using media center in 2005. I joined the original greenbutton in 2005. In that time I only posted about 250 times, but I'd like to think that they were for the most part quality posts :-)

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:50 am

Great to see more familiar names popping up :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

roswellgrey

Post by roswellgrey » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:08 am

Just found this site - well done for trying to keep the spirit of the old greenbutton alive :)

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:46 pm

Welcome sir!
We all hope this is a place many will frequent.

spanner

Post by spanner » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:35 pm

Hi everyone
Craig Smith here, from Corbett Oregon, Retired Portland firefighter,grandpa, and long time tech enthusiast. Hobby started of with stereo equipment,then branched into computers with my first comadore 64 with a tape drive. Started doing some friend and family computer repair and through word of mouth was able to fund my tech addiction. networked discarded pentium 3 computers to my tv's throughout the house To take advantage of online video (poor mans media center) found WMC in a copy of windows xp and have never looked back. Now have 3 linksys, and two xbox extenders with a Ceton tuner. Thanks for setting up this site

NizZ8

Post by NizZ8 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:19 pm

Cool toys!! :)

NizZ8

Post by NizZ8 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Thanks to those involved for bringing TGB back to life!!! :)

nxsfan

Post by nxsfan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:35 pm

Well done guys on setting this up. Hopefully all the old GB users will move over in time. This site is already featuring pretty high on google searched.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:43 pm

Hey both! Glad you could make it.

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:02 am

Thanks for creating this site. I've deleted the MS site shortcut, replaced it with this.

I look forward to a donation link, you deserve it.

This is home.....
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:02 am

Woot! Welcome!