I think I am going to TiVo :(

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:11 am

How bought we all go to Soft Sled :) Surprise! Surprise! The Remote works. Change channels in WMC in an RDP Session. 3 Live and 2 Recorded in the picture.
Attachments
RDP_PatchProject027.JPG

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:24 am

Crash2009 wrote:How bought we all go to Soft Sled :) Surprise! Surprise! The Remote works. Change channels in WMC in an RDP Session. 3 Live and 2 Recorded in the picture.
Sounds good! What's the frame rate like though?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:41 am

dkrom wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:How bought we all go to Soft Sled :) Surprise! Surprise! The Remote works. Change channels in WMC in an RDP Session. 3 Live and 2 Recorded in the picture.
Sounds good! What's the frame rate like though?
My little test network is a little maxed out at the moment. I need to move the project over to the Gig network to do a fair test. Also the CPU on the Win10 box is weak. I expect better results when the project goes production.

The previous picture was RDP from Win7 (Xeon 12 core client) to a Win10 (Old I3 Laptop Host).
Attachments
RDP_PatchProject013.jpg

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:01 am

I'll probably stick with my WMC for now. It runs great for cable, and I have a good deal at about $120 a month for internet, cable, and all the movie channels. When TWC jacks my rate, though, I'll be looking to switch to OTA again. At that point, I'll probably go with TiVo. I can't handle Rovi with OTA. It's horrible with sub-channels, and I have about 30 sub-channels. EPG123 still requires a fee with zap2it. As it is, I miss integrating sub channels with cable. They're integrated, that is tuners are configured for OTA and cable, I just don't have my guide listings for the subs. I'm really itching to try TiVo though, especially when I can probably break even after selling off my tuners and Xbox's.

I do have a sweet setup though. I have harmony remotes for all the rooms. With the simple press of an up arrow on the remote, the xbox launches the quick start menu, and the WAF can go directly to recent history and launch any app including the TWC app. WAF doesn't even have to get confused in the xbox guide. Another quick press of a down button, launches right back into WMC. I think it's this setup that is keeping me tied to the xbox's, and not tied to WMC specifically. It's nice when on OTA, to have all those apps at the click of a button and without changing devices. My WMC PC is attached to the living room TV, although I generally use an xbox in the living room, due to the PC/HDMI pairing issues. I still use that PC for content that doesn't have an Xbox app, but occasionally have to reboot it due to no HDMI sound.

Tough decision....

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:01 pm

dkrom wrote:$30 extenders (used dma2200's) work perfectly - no need for Moca, wireless HD video works flawlessly two rooms away on my extender. I keep the computer on 24/7 so no need for WOL. Streaming would be nice, but I have an AppleTV so no big deal, just switch an input and I have everything ready to go and I can screen-cast.
Understood. I had a house full of cheap extenders too, and they worked fine for me (except for WOL, so I used Echoes instead). I'm just saying that there's a lot more value in a Mini, hence the higher price. Right now, you get the same functionality, but have to add a $100 ATV to get there. Your extenders may be $30 now but were well over $100 when they were new. I could probably find some used Minis closer to $50 if I really tried.

It would be really difficult and expensive to get wifi working for streaming in my house (too much distance and too many floors/walls). So Moca is perfect. I actually used Moca with my old extenders as well, but needed additional hardware. Mini has Moca built-in. So that hardware cost goes away. Otherwise, I'd need new routers, repeaters and access points.

RF remote capability is really nice to have and is not an option with a DMA2200 or any other extender that I know of (except Echo, which works over wifi).

In any case, my Tivo system cost me less over all than my old WMC system, considering all the costs (hard drive upgrade, video card upgrade, IR dongle, keyboard/mouse, Moca, RF remote, etc.).

STC

Post by STC » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:19 pm

The TiVo solution for TV and streaming will only suit some and not others. I'm one of the ones it appeals to as I don't have an extensive ripped library et al. I'd still keep the HTPC live but powered off until required as a stand alone device for tinkering and plinkering on.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:37 pm

Can't you access personal video libraries using Plex from TiVo?

STC

Post by STC » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Yes but it is rather clunky.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:04 pm

Funny how things turn around. I left a Tivo behind when I started using WMC 2years ago, mostly because the integration of personal music, movie and video was so much better on WMC. Tivo was indeed clunky and proprietary and felt cobbled together.

Now I find myself watching & listening to so much streaming content that I feel less and less need to have a digital library.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:51 pm

I hear you and have never had a ripped video library.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:08 pm

DrSmith wrote:Funny how things turn around. I left a Tivo behind when I started using WMC 2years ago, mostly because the integration of personal music, movie and video was so much better on WMC. Tivo was indeed clunky and proprietary and felt cobbled together.

Now I find myself watching & listening to so much streaming content that I feel less and less need to have a digital library.
I agree. I left WMC mainly for 2 reasons: Rovi and price. The guide data got so bad, I just got fed up. The Rovi switch just happened to coincide with the $299 sale at Tivo (don't know if Tivo had the foresight to plan that or not). Otherwise I'd still be running WMC.

Having said that, I used WMC mostly for live and recorded TV, and use Tivo for the same plus some streaming just because I can.

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:27 pm

STC wrote:I hear you and have never had a ripped video library.
I had a ripped DVD library, but I have converted over half of it to Ultraviolet on Vudu. Can't beat their 50% deal for converting 10 movies at a time. Unfortunately, there are a few studios who do not offer converting DVD to ultraviolet.

al_wilson2

Post by al_wilson2 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:48 am

I bought a TiVo OTA Roamio 1TB (no subscription fees). I'm about 6 weeks into it, and don't miss WMC at all. I don't even miss cable either. The Roamio makes the switch back to antenna very pleasant. It will record suggestions, and learns what I like to watch. The hard drive is only 11% full, yet there are over 300 movies or shows that auto recorded. I have no problem finding something to watch. The seamless switch from OTA guide to Amazon/Netflix/Vudu or back to OTA, is sweet. I bought the current season of "The Last Ship" on Vudu, and have access to "Ray Donovan" through my Amazon/Showtime subscription. Those are the only two cable shows I watch in the summer, and the TiVo provides easy access to those. Plex is pretty sweet, and runs well on the TiVo. I had never used Plex before, but it provides an easy way to access my archived content. I'm glad I made he change! Lastly, the TiVo mini runs better on a powerline adapter than my Xbox did. I use a powerline adapter to get Ethernet out to my patio.

The only complaint I have, is that Amazon needs to add a Showtime channel within its app, or Showtime needs to make their own TiVo app.

I also love the fact that I am no longer messing around with trying to fix my guide.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am

TiVo does appear to be the best alternative to WMC today - and with the integration of streaming, on demand support and Plex, it has some advantages over WMC.

For us, we would need cablecard support because we watch a number of programs that require access to the cable channels (especially live sports) - so we'd probably go with a Bolt - especially if they come out with a 6 tuner version.

But there is also uncertainty with TiVo due to the pending acquisition - and what impact that may have on TiVo and their consumer business.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm

bob_p wrote:TiVo does appear to be the best alternative to WMC today - and with the integration of streaming, on demand support and Plex, it has some advantages over WMC.

For us, we would need cablecard support because we watch a number of programs that require access to the cable channels (especially live sports) - so we'd probably go with a Bolt - especially if they come out with a 6 tuner version.

But there is also uncertainty with TiVo due to the pending acquisition - and what impact that may have on TiVo and their consumer business.
Roamio has Cablecard support. I used it for a year before I switched back to WMC.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Old Roamio has suport for cableCARD.

The current Roamio is OTA only, lifeitme guide only. It looks like they're just recycling old hardware.

Buy from Weaknees and save shipping and tax. But accessories from Ebay.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:42 pm

/Slightly off topic

I do despise the advertising you get in the interface with TiVo.
Even if you actively ignore them they are still subliminal sights nagging your sub conscious... yuk.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:03 pm

STC wrote:/Slightly off topic

I do despise the advertising you get in the interface with TiVo.
Even if you actively ignore them they are still subliminal sights nagging your sub conscious... yuk.
One of the reasons why I came back to WMC. Plus I got tired of the bland interface.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:07 am

I still use my WMC for many things, but I was getting frustrated by the constant struggles to keep everything stable, and gradually waning support for apps, like netflix, guide and bluray players and such. When it came to my realization that the goal of having one box for everything would never materialize, I decided I would have to look elsewhere.

After doing a bit of research, I ended up getting a Tivo Roamio just to try it out (it was very inexpensive, with lifetime service a few months ago). My movie library doesn't quite live up to what I had in WMC, but I got a Roku that does a decent job of displaying everything from a plex media server. The roku also gives me access to streaming apps like HBO Go, Starz, Amazon Instant Video, etc. I then got a sony bluray player for discs. Netflix I stream through my TV, which works well. I think my favorite part would have to be that everything can now be controlled over IP. So I have a custom made remote on an old ipad mini (using iRule). When I hit the TiVo button, it turns on the TV, turns on my soundbar, turns to the right input, turns on the tivo, and I'm ready to go. When I hit the HTPC button, it turns off the Tivo, switches input, and turns on the HTPC/WMC. It gives me instant access to netflix, plex, and other roku apps too. Makes everything significantly easier, and a huge plus for the WAF. So it may not look like an elegant solution, but with the unifying remote, it certainly acts like one. (I decided to go with that over something like a harmony, because I didn't want to rely on IR).

The TiVo is a decent replacement for WMC DVR Functions, imo. I initially hated the way it skipped-- rather than jumping straight to the next spot, it would do several slower mini-hops to the next spot. But I don't care about that now that the complete commercial skip has come to the Roamio. That works great. I don't like the advertisements. The display of recorded shows is subpar, but functional. The guide works very nicely, especially now that they have logos in there now. I have not noticed anything terrible about picture quality, but I don't have the keenest of eyes. Everything just works. Got a $100 Tivo Mini that also works nicely with the original system. It was nice not to have to try to explain to comcast support what an HTPC was. While they don't see many Tivos, at least they know what they are.

Overall, I'm pleased with the current system.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:57 am

What's surprising is that with little development done on WMC for many years - we still don't have a solution that works as well as WMC.

TiVo seems closest - though there are trade-offs. While TiVo provides integration with several streaming services and "on demand" cable support - they also have some quirks (like the advertising).