Microsoft Marketing about Windows Media Center

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
wayloncovil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft Marketing about Windows Media Center

Post by wayloncovil » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:24 pm

Hi, TGB folks. This is my first post!

I was thinking about Microsoft's decision to not include Windows Media Center in Windows 10.

I get it. From a business decision perspective, it costs them money to support the application. And, in their opinion, it doesn't make them any money but actually costs them money.

But the thing they are forgetting is the "value add" it brings to Windows users. Many of these Media Center users are very technical. It takes some expertise to setup a tuner card and Media Center.

And now what are these users doing? These highly technical users are looking at other options. Perhaps some of these options include non-Windows operating systems.

Would it be worth the cost to Microsoft to keep these highly technical users on a Windows platform?

I think Microsoft's marketing decision here isn't the best.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:09 am

According to MS Windows Media Center has a very small "user base". It doesn't see the need to support something that to them
a) has a limited user base &
b) costs them money to keep supporting.

There are more WMC users than I think Microsoft knows of but still doesn't care to update or support what they now consider legacy software. Windows 10 is the future for PC's to them.

They stopped at some point caring about their end users, it was apparent when they suddenly shut down the original Green Button Forums and merged us with the Windows Experts Community (which I would say more than 50% of the original TGB site users hated) and that's how this site came to be. They then randomly deleted all the content from WEC. It had years worth of tips and tricks that end users and Microsoft MVP's had posted that was an invaluable resource for many WMC users.

IMO Microsoft needs to reconnect with it's user base. WMC needs to be revived, supported and updated. If that happened maybe, just maybe it would have a larger user base?? Just sayin'.. :)
Since MS dissolved the eHome team a long time ago and abandoned WMC I think we have to eventually look at other viable options.

Media Streaming via On Demand seems to be the way things are going.. Hulu, Netflix, Plex, Emby... etc. If someone could develop a way to get a good TV DVR app going that would integrate with cableCARD devices (I'm lookin at you Silicondust) and be able to view and record encrypted cable content on a PC or Xbox One etc. I think we could effectively move away from WMC. I will miss it though when I do unless someone can come up with a better software solution for a "media center".

I'm liking Windows 10.. I wish MS would change their mind on WMC and revive the project and inject new life into it. It was a fun ride and I made lots of good friends here over the years but things change and we just have to find new ways of moving forward from here. I will use WMC until I find something better to move to.

newfiend~

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 pm

I agree that streaming integration will be of increasingly larger importance in the future.

As a fallback to WMC and SD's DVR project, I now have Comcast's new X1 DVR installed on one of our TVs - and they've done a pretty decent job of integrating their streaming environment into the traditional live/recorded TV world.

For example, if you navigate to a movie using the program guide and start watching it in the middle, in most cases, there is an option to start watching the movie from the beginning. The X1 box will automatically switch from live TV mode to streaming mode - and get the movie from their server.

When doing searches for upcoming programs, they mix what's available right now with upcoming live TV programs, programs streaming from their servers, and "on demand" programs that can be purchased or rented (pay-per-view).

They've seamlessly integrated everything together - and it doesn't matter whether I'm getting the programs from a broadcast TV channel, "cable" channel or one of the premium services.

And, they now support access through multiple STBs at your house - and through a web browsers or Apple/Android app. While at the house, I can watch anything available on the X1 DVR - on any PC or smartphone/tablet. And while away from the house, they allow programs that have been recorded to be downloaded to a mobile device.

However, they've made some design decisions that may prove frustrating to deal with in the long run. If you stream a TV show that you didn't record, it forces you to watch all of the commercials. Programs downloaded to a mobile device are locked - and can only be viewed on that device until transferred back to the DVR.

But, if WMC does go away and SD or someone else doesn't come up with a WMC replacement, Comcast's X1 might be a fallback - or TiVo. Though I'll probably stick with WMC for as long as possible - shift to the SD DVR if/when they get enough implemented to be a WMC replacement - and will likely use the X1 DVR periodically to access streaming from their program library.