Setting up a WMC in the UK using the Freeview data

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
mercalia

HTPC Specs: Show details

Setting up a WMC in the UK using the Freeview data

Post by mercalia » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:12 pm

The PC I started with had at some time worked here in the UK but WMC nolonger recognised the tuner and therefore needed to be set up again. So go through the wizard, declining to get the latest setup data ( first time I tried there was not any AND SAID WOULD USE WHAT IT HAD, so do not bother, just decline) zip through the rest accepting as appropriate but decline getting epg data from MS ( there aint any) until you start to scan for channels and hey presto they are found and the WMC now works as normal. Go to the epg and select channels to download the data. It was the matter of getting WMC to recognise a tuner that always concerned me with MS withdrawing their epg data as it seemed this was another matter. I can not say whether it would work for a complete virgin machine unlike mine, but worth the try? Maybe there is some basic frequency data built in and gets updated or maybe when it was set up originally I downloaded it from MS and remained there I do not know.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:23 pm

Further to the above & whether MS terminated broadcasting any setup information for MC other that epg data.

I just did a complete reinstall of Windows 8.1 with Media center and it seems setting up does NOT require ANY downloads from Microsoft to get it to work in the UK just using Freeview epg data. I was wondering whether MC needed some set up data in addition to MS epg data. I did put in my post code but declined to get any epg data, so if it did download any data that data is still available even though epg data is not. Scanning for channels worked. So this is good news to any one in the UK who wants to set up a Media Center PC still. It looks as if the software works fine ( for standard defn tv ) and will continue to do so

By the way the epg data is loaded when you view the guide and view channels

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:32 pm

I might add this is only for standard defn TV not the HiDef broadcasts. One Thing you can do is use it as Radio tuner as the Freeview service includes many of the radio services & I understand these are higher quality than using a DAB receiver

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:16 am

IMPORTANT
lATEST MARCH 2022 UPDATE TO WINDOWS 8.1 DAMAGES MEDIA CENTER
IT RESETS ALL SETTING LOST AND RECONFIG CRASHES

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:03 am

more information and discussion here.
It seems those still using W7 and getting updates also afflicted
https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... 49&t=13857