Need a solution to stream Live TV over Internet

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
beakerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need a solution to stream Live TV over Internet

Post by beakerman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:55 pm

I am looking for a solution to stream Live TV over the Internet. Specifically OTA or Cable HDTV from a house in 1 state to another state (or anywhere).

Any ideas?

Some hardware & software in my current setup (but I am willing to try just about anything!):

WMC on Windows 8 Pro
2x HomeRun Prime (cable card)
1x HomeRun Dual (OTA)
3x Xbox 360

Other hardware & software that I own and can tinker with:

WMC on Windows 7
Windows 10
Nvidia Shield
Xbox One
Android Phone

Thanks from a long time lurker.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:10 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

beakerman

Post by beakerman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:31 pm

Thanks, I am checking it out right now.

Also wondering if anyone has a alternative working solution?

Thanks again.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:57 pm

http://www.remotepotato.com/

I still use that with the Android apps (need one app to see the bulk of your WMC stuff, and a second to add live TV). Works well enough for me - but only my tablet / phone... not sure about getting it back on to a TV remotely, although I assume it would be possible with casting, etc.

EDIT - link above seemed confusing related to apps, although it does have the necessary server app to run your WMC machine. I have these apps installed to access it remotely...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tatoclient
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ientlivetv

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:38 pm

I've done all of the above. While they do work in a pinch, all are very clunky, low quality and unreliable. For decent quality, you need very fast upload at the source. On a tablet/phone, not such a big issue as even low rez looks pretty good.

Best solution for Live TV is use OTA in the remote location or subscribe to a service like Vue, SlingTV, etc. Vue is more expensive but far better than SlingTV in nearly every respect. Pay only for the months you use it.

beakerman

Post by beakerman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:21 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's what I am trying to do: take OTA or Cable content from Minnesota, where I used to live, and view it in Texas, where I live now. Mostly interested in OTA local channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS) in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul market.

I would be setting up any devices at my relative's house. They have Cable and Satellite. I will pay their fees for another cable or satellite box if I have to :)

So far, it seems Slingbox is the simplest solution to implement, likely their M2 model.

And to keep it very simple with no monthly fees, I guess I could buy a decent standalone OTA tuner and connect it to a Slingbox M2.

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:27 pm

I am using Emby server and find it works very well. I stream TV from my HD HomeRun Prime from my home over my FIOS connection. I'm using a Windows 7 PC with a Core i7. The quality is excellent. There are apps for all the platforms though I can't get the Windows Phone app to stream TV. The provided website works very well.

beakerman

Post by beakerman » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 pm

mskenny wrote:I am using Emby server and find it works very well. I stream TV from my HD HomeRun Prime from my home over my FIOS connection. I'm using a Windows 7 PC with a Core i7. The quality is excellent. There are apps for all the platforms though I can't get the Windows Phone app to stream TV. The provided website works very well.
That would be nice. I've been trying to make sense of how to setup Emby server to remote view Live TV, but my Google-Fu is failing me. Can you help me out with any details, maybe a FAQ, or a YouTube video walk-thru?

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:05 am

Hello Beakerman,
Depending on what your using for content is going to change how you setup Emby. If you are using your "HomeRun Dual (OTA)" I think this guide should be helpful. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/ ... ta-305713/

If you are using your "HomeRun Prime (cable card)" you will need to use this setup: https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb40d4 ... index.html

The second link has the software/guide on how to set it up.

Please note: I've only setup EMBY once using the second method and it worked decently. I personally prefer Plex using a variant of the second method made for Plex. If using OTA however I think Emby has the better offering.

I hope that helps.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:27 pm

beakerman wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

Here's what I am trying to do: take OTA or Cable content from Minnesota, where I used to live, and view it in Texas, where I live now. Mostly interested in OTA local channels (ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS) in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul market.

I would be setting up any devices at my relative's house. They have Cable and Satellite. I will pay their fees for another cable or satellite box if I have to :)

So far, it seems Slingbox is the simplest solution to implement, likely their M2 model.

And to keep it very simple with no monthly fees, I guess I could buy a decent standalone OTA tuner and connect it to a Slingbox M2.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but look into signing up for Vue or Slingbox using the Minneapolis address as your primary account location. Not sure if anyone has tested, but I wouldn't be surprised if the local packages they offer are based off the "location" of the account.

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Sharks wrote:Hello Beakerman,
Depending on what your using for content is going to change how you setup Emby. If you are using your "HomeRun Dual (OTA)" I think this guide should be helpful. http://emby.media/community/index.php?/ ... ta-305713/

If you are using your "HomeRun Prime (cable card)" you will need to use this setup: https://0df317251eddfb99d4fce96eecb40d4 ... index.html

The second link has the software/guide on how to set it up.

Please note: I've only setup EMBY once using the second method and it worked decently. I personally prefer Plex using a variant of the second method made for Plex. If using OTA however I think Emby has the better offering.

I hope that helps.
Actually the first link you give is sufficient. Emby will work with an HD HomeRun Prime without using add-on software. One caveat is that it won't work with "copy once" channels, only unlocked channels. So for example I can't stream HBO or Fox channels. It will automatically remove these from the guide. One key that I missed at first is that to remove channels from the guide you need to go to the HD HomeRun prime built-in website and "favorite" the channels you want to appear. For example I removed all the SD channels because who wants those when you have HD? Also you need a subscription to Schedule Direct in order to get the guide data.

The stability has improved greatly since the first release and it's quite reliable. You'd want to have remote access to the PC so you can troubleshoot and install updates (if you run it as a service you have to manually update.)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:29 am

There are a couple "other ways".

1) Teamviewer will stream 1 protected or non-protected channel to anywhere. Only takes about 5 minutes to set up.

2) RDP will stream all 6 of your CableCard Tuners and 2 of your OTA tuners at the same time. This can be all 8 tuners to 1 device, or all 8 tuners to 8 different devices. Both my Win10 and my Win7 HTPC have this capability.

Either way, including some of the suggestions that have been made all ready, including Emby, you will need to increase your upload speed with your internet provider. In my case I went with the Comcast 100 download/20 upload. You might need a higher upload for 8 tuners at the same time.

Most of my RDP notes are in this post. Dont let the Title fool ya!

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 409#p99409

EDIT....Looks like Teamviewer over wan uses 9.7 mbps If your upload is only 20 mbps, well, do the math. As I recall, I think Emby might compress the stream down to around 3 mbps.
Attachments
RDP_PatchProject027.JPG
ProtectedToPhone.jpg
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:53 am

one more $0.02...As stated above, the key thing is the UPLOAD speed, and you didn't cover that as well as the actual HW used for transcoding, since if you want more than one at a time, or you can';t get the upload speed you need, you have to transcode, and that takes a certain amount of CPU power to do. This is why a slingbox is a great alternative, since it used HW to do the work.

You set up what you want at the "sending" end (including any WMC, etc.) and it's like you are there locally for the video sent to the slingbox (even if you're not).

Good Luck!

Scott

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:12 am

I thought I read somewhere that one of the HDHR Tuners has built in transcoding, might even be the HDHR 3-CC.

Of course, something specialized like the Slingbox, would likely work better.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:54 am

Crash2009 wrote:I thought I read somewhere that one of the HDHR Tuners has built in transcoding, might even be the HDHR 3-CC.
No, it's the Extend. http://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-extend/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct