Goodbye time to cut the cord

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
Tracer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Goodbye time to cut the cord

Post by Tracer » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:05 pm

I've been using Media Center since the early days when it was on XP all the way up to Windows 8. Even today it has by far IMO the best DVR interface but, with the increasing Cable TV costs I just can justify spending what we are on Cable TV and going to make the switch to YouTube TV. By switching I could possibly save as much as $90.00 a month and just can't justify keeping Media Center and Cable TV.

Unfortunately I live in a small town and I don't get all the OTA channels otherwise I would have dropped Cable TV long time ago since every year they keep raising their costs. I'll keep the Media Center setup for the already existing recordings until the unit just dies or if we go back to cable.

Thanks everyone for all their support over the years and the support of this site that has kept Media Center going. :thumbup:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:15 pm

That isn't cutting the cord. That's moving the cord to a different plug on a different wall. You're still subscribing to the same linear grid-based pay TV channels, and unfortunately in the process you're ceding control of your recordings to Google's cloud. Yuck.

$90/month is a ton of money. Your cable provider must think very highly of itself to be charging that kind of money.

micallen

Post by micallen » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:48 pm

Tracer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:05 pm I've been using Media Center since the early days when it was on XP all the way up to Windows 8. Even today it has by far IMO the best DVR interface but, with the increasing Cable TV costs I just can justify spending what we are on Cable TV and going to make the switch to YouTube TV. By switching I could possibly save as much as $90.00 a month and just can't justify keeping Media Center and Cable TV.

Unfortunately I live in a small town and I don't get all the OTA channels otherwise I would have dropped Cable TV long time ago since every year they keep raising their costs. I'll keep the Media Center setup for the already existing recordings until the unit just dies or if we go back to cable.

Thanks everyone for all their support over the years and the support of this site that has kept Media Center going. :thumbup:
I went from cable to YouTube TV, and I'm enjoying it.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:59 pm

Tracer wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:05 pmUnfortunately I live in a small town and I don't get all the OTA channels otherwise I would have dropped Cable TV long time ago since every year they keep raising their costs.
If you really don't need cable channels, but you're too far away for OTA reception, you could keep an eye on Locast for OTA streaming:
https://www.locast.org/

brixx99

Post by brixx99 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:13 am

I have recently signed up for Locast.org in the Seattle area. It has all the local broadcast TV in the area. I have a dedicated WIndows 7 PC that has WMC for recording over cable shows. My problem now is to find a way to connect WMC to Locast so I can record the local shows for watching later. Also, my set up includes MCEBuddy for commercial editing. If I could record Locast shows in WMC, I would be able to convert them like I do now... and finally cancel my cable. I signed up for Locast for $5 a month. That save me well over a $100 a month in cable, boxes, and cable cards... Well worth the effort and even better if I can use WMC and rid myself of the commercials.

Any suggestions or help in this area would be appreciated. I've wanted to get rid of cable for about 10 years. Might finally be getting closer.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:31 pm

I went from WMC to Tivo (just to see what it was like vs WMC) then finally to Plex a while ago for DVR (2018 I think, I was using it though for archived movies/shows since 2014) very happy with it. Yes, luckily I am not impacted by the Copy Once/Never flags.

I only still have cable TV because Comcast and my condo complex have a contract so it's part of my maint fees - I'm paying for it no matter what so I'm gonna use it. Luckily the cable card is free so all I give Comcast directly any actual money for is internet.

Plex server sharing is also great - me and newfiend from here share each of our Plex servers with each other. Also great for adding recommendations to your own media in its overview mode for content they have you don't.

All I really need other than Plex now for all my video entertainment is free Youtube. Plex is also great with music especially when you add music videos to it. All I use other than Plex for music is free Pandora and some other free internet radio streaming.

Plus it's so nice running it all off a Synology 918+ NAS that requires almost no maintenance/upkeep compared to even the best 'set it and forget it' WMC server which I had the pleasure of experiencing for my 12 year stint with it.

Plex is really everything WMC was and should have become IMO.