Comcast price hike

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
john321

HTPC Specs: Show details

Comcast price hike

Post by john321 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:34 am

I've been using Windows 7 Media Center since around 2010. Until 2016, I lived in Central Florida and I had Brighthouse Networks (BHN) for my cable provider. I was very happy with BHN. Sure... the price went up a little bit each year, but it was tolerable.

In 2016, I moved to New Hampshire. In my new home, Comcast is my only choice. Unlike BHN, Comcast pushed me into a 24 month contract. BHN had no contracts. In the beginning, the price on Comcast was similar to what I was paying BHN for similar service.

Well... my 24 month contract on Comcast just ended, and my bill went up $53.00 per month (a 37% increase)!!!

I am still negotiating with Comcast, but I am wondering how others have fared with Comcast. Can you please share your Comcast story with me?

To be honest, I am, for the first time in my life, considering cutting the cord. And... I don't mean that I will purchase Internet service from Comcast and drop the TV channels... I mean that I am considering cutting the cord completely.

I have T-Mobile for my wireless service. Right now, I am grandfathered on the old 2GB-per-line deal. I can upgrade to T-Mobile "One" (unlimited data) for an additional $15/month. Then, I can add an additional line for another $10/month... and use that phone as a cellular modem connected to my router.

This will give me 50GB of tethered data per month per line, and I can connect the phone (via USB-C-to HDMI cable) to my TV to watch Netflix and many other popular video apps without touching any of my data (at 480P resolution).

I'm fine with 480P video. It will be a little inconvenient compared to having stuff pre-recorded like I have now with Media Center... but I will be saving more than $150/month!

What do you all think about this plan? Has anyone tried going this route?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

dkm

Post by dkm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:16 pm

I usually just walk into one of their stores and ask (sometimes escalating to demanding) new customer pricing again. Basically just say that you're looking to cancel because the price is too high. Some reps need to hear key words before offering better prices. Just be wary that they will try to upsell you, or lock you into a long term contract, etc. I typically research on their website as if I'm a new customer and walk in with a deal I want in-hand.

It's a game I have to play every year, and I wish I didn't have to. But I've done it basically every year for like 10 years and never had them say no.

john321

Post by john321 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 am

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

dpt17

Post by dpt17 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:28 pm

I have Comcast in NH as well. They pushed me into a 2 year deal which I had resisted before but finally agreed to because they changed their termination policy. Prior to say 2015 if you downgraded any service and had a contract they would ding you with a fee. Now, they only ding you with a fee if you cancel service with them. I'd be surprised if weren't able to negotiate another 2 year agreement with them. You can always threaten to cut or downgrade service.

The only other choice in my area is Consolidated which can't match what Comcast can offer so I've never really considered switching...especially since Comcast supports CableCard. I guess whenever I call Comcast to negotiate, I'm sort of bluffing :D