Beginnings of a Networked Home

CBO

HTPC Specs: Show details

Beginnings of a Networked Home

Post by CBO » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:53 am

Hello,
Just purchased my first home. I was able to get a network option added, so from the beginning I wanted to stream video over hardwire and save on box top fees. Later I would like to venture into Home automation. But here is what I've managed to get going so far.

This is the home run with the builder's patch panel. It located in a closet down sitars. The networking package included 6 data runs, 6 coax runs and 9 telephone runs. "9 telephone" really? But luckily the telephone runs use CAT5E. So I asked if they could leave extra cable length when the punch down the panels.

I had a feeling they would give me the phone punch-down you see on the left so I bought a better option from Amazon. This panel allows me to switch a port back and forth from data to tel. Also it allows for multiple tel lines to be used. (My first attempt at punching down wires)

In addtion to the runs using Cat5e the jacks all use RJ45 (I think that's the proper name) Sample of what some of the ports look like.

OK, so I wanted to place a rack next to the home run. Eventually I will fill up this have rack but for now I have just my windows home server and a Hyper-V server. I am not sure how I will handle the heat especially when summer hits.

Wireless AP the guy looked at me like i was insane when I said I wanted them to run a port into the ceiling on the second floor, FIOS is cool but their router kinda falls short especially when it come to wireless. (The light can be turned off via the ap's software)

The entertainment unit I have an XBOX as an extender for now. I would like to get some echos in the future.
Image Image

HTPC-I'm still trying to lock this thing down so it ready for the wife to use without frustration. It currently in my office. I would like to move it to the rack as well and use only echos. Specs Core i5 Windows 7 Home Ceton PCI Card

Image Image

That's what I have so far. Please feel free to comment. I'm looking for advise, improvements and such. Thanks!!!

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:26 am

A far as the telephone lines go, an rj11 (telephone) plug fits into an rj45 (data) jack. In my system, if I'd like a telephone i can patch it in wherever a drop is.

CBO

Post by CBO » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:30 am

Same here. I just use a wire that came with the panel and jump the connection to that center ports on the panel and take it out of the switch.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I only have one observation and that leads to a question.

Why do you have the left and right portions of your front stage so close to the TV? I see a center channel peaking out of the cabinet. You aren't making the best use of those.

CBO

Post by CBO » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:58 pm

I had misplaced my speaker wire during the move. So I only had some scrap wire available and I just haven't got around to redoing it. Though I must say my wife hate the left and right and want me to move those ASAP. Good thing she dosent read this forum.

CBO

Post by CBO » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Where do you suggest I place the center?

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm

Obviously getting as close to the center of the screen as possible would be best but since sound doesn't travel so well through solid surfaces I think it good where it is. That is unless you want to hang the tv from a bracket in the back so you can lose the stand and move the center channel to that location.

CBO

Post by CBO » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Ok but most important is to move the left and right.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:14 pm

CBO wrote:Ok but most important is to move the left and right.
Yep.

http://acousticsfreq.com/blog/?p=369

CBO

Post by CBO » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Venom, Do you happen to do any home automation? If so any suggestions on what to use at your core? I've seen nexia but I also heard good things from Verde.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 pm

I agree Verizon FiOS router is not the best, but they make great MoCA adapters. I ended up switching to my own Linksys Router, and then bought a couple of Verizon (Westel) routers when they were on sale for $8 shipped. I set them up throughout the house (same SSID and PassKey, different channels) connected to the wired network as wireless access points. I get 100% wi-fi coverage, and they double a switches (port multipliers) where needed.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 am

CBO wrote:Venom, Do you happen to do any home automation? If so any suggestions on what to use at your core? I've seen nexia but I also heard good things from Verde.
I don't. I'm just a geek with a little too much spare time on occasion.

CBO

Post by CBO » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:46 pm

blueiedgod wrote:I agree Verizon FiOS router is not the best, but they make great MoCA adapters. I ended up switching to my own Linksys Router, and then bought a couple of Verizon (Westel) routers when they were on sale for $8 shipped. I set them up throughout the house (same SSID and PassKey, different channels) connected to the wired network as wireless access points. I get 100% wi-fi coverage, and they double a switches (port multipliers) where needed.

Yeah I saw something on dsl reports that uses three routers if you want to run your own router yet keep. FIOS baked in services like VOD caller id and so on. I just didnt feel like going thru all that cuz it may introduce too many points of failure to bring the whole system down.