Windjammer Cable - No CableCards

For questions regarding Co-ax wiring, and to complain about your cable co.
mjlaris

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windjammer Cable - No CableCards

Post by mjlaris » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:11 am

I recently moved and my new cable company, Windjammer Cable, says that they don't offer CableCARDS in this area. My reading of the Telecommunications act of 1996 is that cable companies are required by law to offer CableCards "for a reasonable fee". Has anyone here encountered a similar problem with a cable company?

I argued with them for a couple months and then filed a complaint with the FCC a month ago; the were served with it 2 days ago and, the FCC tells me, they have until July 8 (30 days) in which to respond to both me and the FCC.

Mark

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 am

The only way they can get around not offering a CableCARD is to not encrypt anything (broadcast all content as either analog or ClearQAM). But you did the right thing by complaining to the FCC. I'd be surprised if the cable company didn't have CableCARDs....I'm betting the people you talked to just didn't know anything. Ignorance seems to be fairly common among customer service people.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Heres from their website. http://www.windjammercable.com/customer ... /cablecard
Cost is $1.75, but it does say "not all services available in all areas". But yes, you are right, by law they are required to offer cable cards. In fact, in the next few months, by law, they will be required to either install cablecards for free, or let you pick them up for free.

If hounding them yourself doesn't work, I find that Jeremy Hammer at Ceton can be a very effective person at getting them to give you a card. (They don't call him the Hammer for nothing!)
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 am

Cable providers sometimes use misinformation to avoid dealing with CableCard requests. I'm glad you didn't take the bait and filed a complaint. Please let us know how things work out. Good luck.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:48 am

So, what happened? Did you get a response?

I just noticed this thread and it is now past your response time.
Greg

rbmorse

Post by rbmorse » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:34 am

Either he got his cable card or Windjammer sent Vinnie and Butch out to have a "word" with him.