Resolution issue with splitter

Talk about speakers, TVs, receivers, STBs, etc.
lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Resolution issue with splitter

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:46 am

Well, I thought I finally figured out a way to split my HTPC to two different rooms. Was working fine until I realized my resolution was defaulting to 720.
I've running my HTPC with an Nvidia GT610 to a Sharp 70LE757. I'm actually splitting it to two different displays (two different rooms) to a Vizio HD flatscreen, but have this issue even without the Vizio hooked up. The path goes from the HTPC, to the splitter (listed below), down to a Sony STR-DH810 receiver, then out to the Sharp. (Sorry, this is convoluted). If I run from HTPC to Sony receiver, to Sharp TV everything is fine. The monitor type shows up in Windows 7 as Sharp, the TV reports a 1080 signal, and I can set the resolution to 1920 x 1080.
But, if I add the splitter into the mix, HTPC, to splitter, to Sony receiver, to the Sharp the monitor shows up as Sony Avamp, the TV shows it's only getting a 720 signal, and I can only set the resolution up to 1280.
The splitter is a powered VHD-0102M http://j-r-galaxies.amazonwebstore.com/ ... 673EW6.htm . It says it 1080 and supports 3D, but it's 1.3 (which I don't know if it makes a difference). It says "Per HDMI protocol, only the lower video and audio formats connected to the single HDMI video source will be supported." So I don't know if that means anything.
Anyways, is it because I'm using a cheap older splitter I had laying around? If so I'm happy to buy another one if someone has a suggestion. I didn't know if there was a way to force the monitor type back to Sharp rather than Sony Avamp, but didn't figure it would matter since 720 pops up on the TV when I turn it on. It's obviously just getting a 720 signal. Like I said, straight from the Sony receiver it's fine, it's just when I put the switch in the mix.
Thanks for any help. 10 hours of trying every combination and reading online and I'm stuck.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Do the results differ if you put the splitter on the other side of the receiver (HTPC -> Receiver -> Splitter -> TV(s) )?

It may be caused by Win7's auto-detection, this post may help (with additional info here).

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I tried that too. I tested every combination I could find. Still no luck. I think I'll try a 4k splitter and see if it helps. I was reading the posts (and hate to change the registry if I don't have to). But I can try that after the new splitter. I wonder though, since my HTPC doesn't sleep, if that could be it?

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:31 pm

Okay, for anyone who runs into the same issue I'll follow up. I just bought a better splitter. A newer 4k one. Works fine.