Audio cut out on encrypted channels in WMC with HD Home Run

aero_guy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Audio cut out on encrypted channels in WMC with HD Home Run

Post by aero_guy » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Hello All,

I just changed my HTPC setup from a Hauppauge dual digital tuner to a HD Home Run Prime. I have successfully installed the CableCard and connected the switched video adaptor/tuner. The cable company is Cox in Tucson. I did have to purchase a graphics card as the onboard graphics for the AMD APU didn't pass the digital cable advisor test. Everything seems to work fine with one major problem.

The local channels record without issue. However the encrypted channels (HBO, STARS) record and play video without a problem, but the audio will cut out for a few seconds and then return. It does this every minute or so. Since the unencrypted channels record and playback without a problem, I'm assuming that is a somehow related to the encryption. I have an independent set top box that doesn't have this issue. The diagnostics on the CableCard report no problems. I have installed the latest AC3 decoder and seen no change in the problem. I use an HDMI cable to send the signal from the HTPC to the TV and then optical cable from the TV to the sound system. I've tried using the TV speakers, but the problem is still present. This problem is present for both live and record shows. Using VLC media player I can see that the unencrypted channels are being decoded with AC3 filter. I don't know how to check the encrypted channels. The only player that will work with them seems to be WMC. I have noticed that the audio will work fine on the first encrypted channel while there is only dialogue playing, but the audio will start cutting out when background music starts. I suspect that the problem may be related to multiply tracks playing.

Does anyone here an any suggestions? I have reach the limit of my knowledge on the topic.

Thank you for ideas you may have,
-Anthony

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:49 am

OK, you say encrypted channels, but I think what you really mean are copy protected channels (copy once). You should be able to play recordings that were made from encrypted channels just fine on VLC. It is only copy-once recordings that can not be played using anything but WMC.

As for the audio issue, I don't have much experience with that, but in troubleshooting other issues, I have read about audio dropouts potentially being caused by "iffy" HDMI connections. So if you can, see if you can swap in a different HDMI cable to see if it makes any difference, also try another HDMI port on the TV or a completely different TV if possible.

Changing any of the codecs or filters will not help you. Since you are dealing with copy-once recordings, it can only use codecs/filters that have been specifically designed to playback copy protected recordings, any other codec/filter will not work.

aero_guy

Post by aero_guy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 am

Space,

Thank you for the reply. I moved the cable to a different port. Once I started the HTPC, I had to change the TV settings to turn off overscan. In the process, I also set the TV's audio out to Dolby Digital from PCM. I don't know what did it, but one of those things fixed the problem. I'm not willing to change anything else for fear of breaking it.

-aero_guy