All video in WMC is now stretched on the sides

aanda6

HTPC Specs: Show details

All video in WMC is now stretched on the sides

Post by aanda6 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:51 pm

Hopefully someone can help me.
all video in Media Centre is now stretched on the sides.

I am running Ati HD 5450
1080p * 60Hz

see attached image. No matter what i no longer get whole picture on sides.
if i play a file in windows media player it is fine so must be something with Media Centre.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
image of setup screen

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:57 am

When you "Configure your TV or Monitor" you must select "Television" if you don't want overscan. All other options enable overscan.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/miss ... dia-center

Of course you need to turn overscan off on your TV as well.

Note: Also look in the comments section of that link for tips on adjusting the UI to better fit a non-overscanned picture.

EDIT: OK I just looked at your sample picture above. It looks like you may have overscan on your TV turned on.

The ideal setting is to select "Television" in WMC and turn off overscan on your TV (on mine, it is called "Unscaled" but other are "Screen FIt", "Just Scan", etc.)
Last edited by Space on Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

aanda6

Post by aanda6 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:08 am

I have tried that and it does not work. It makes everything in the screen zoomed in but does not change the width of the video at all.

you will notice it is only zoomed on the sides not the top

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:16 am

aanda6 wrote:I have tried that and it does not work. It makes everything in the screen zoomed in but does not change the width of the video at all.

you will notice it is only zoomed on the sides not the top
OK, then while the video is playing, go to the (i)nfo menu and left arrow to zoom settings and select "Zoom 1". This should be the default, so not sure why it would have changed.

Also, in the ATI settings, there is an option to turn off overscan, set it to 0%.

aanda6

Post by aanda6 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 am

I already have those settings and zoom 1.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:57 am

Sorry, I'm not sure what is going on...
I am just guessing now, so maybe someone else will have more experience with this and have a better answer...

STC

Post by STC » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:29 am

Try 'Zoom' setting in WMC:
When playing, press MORE or INFO, then scroll right
or right-click on the video

Yours may be set to 'Dynamic Stretch'
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:37 pm

could always try editing the registry settings for media center back to default. that will fix it. i'm at work right now and do not have access to the exact method to fix it. i do know it involves changed top, bottom, left and right all to 0 and the saved to 1 to scale the image. once i'm off work i will post more detailed instructions.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:17 pm

If you do 411-info on the remote and then right arrow over to the Display and Presentation screens, what does it say is the resolution and picture size?

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm

Sorry for the delay, late night at work. I have used the below method to great success on correcting overscan and underscan.

When a Media Center extender is turned on, the HTPC creates a registry profile with settings that can affect the over/underscan. This can impact
the visual quality of many of the themes available for MediaBrowser causing a blue border around the edge.
There are two steps to resolve this issue:
1. Finding out the SID of the Media Center extender account
2. Changing registry settings of that account while the extender is turned on
To find the SID (Security Identifier) of the account:
1. Turn the extender on
2. On the HTPC Start –> Accessories –> Command
3. or for Windows 8 machines locate the search charm on the right hand side of the screen and single click.
4. Type “Regedit” (no quotes) and enter
5. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
6. Select each folder individually and look at the ‘ProfileImagePath’ key to identify the user profile associated with the selected folder
7. If you only have one extender in the house you’ll be looking for the account listed as C:\Users\Mcx1-MEDIA
8. “Mcx”(1-9)–“YOUR COMPUTER’S NAME” is how the extender name will be formatted. “Mcx” for the “Media Center eXtender”, with
1 through 9 as an identifier of the extenders you have in your setup in the case of multiple extenders and your computer’s name as it is setup
up in Windows under the System control panel icon.
04/12/2013 How to remove the "blue borders" on WMC Extender (Updated for MB3/Win8) - Media Browser Community Tracker
community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/7529/how-do-i-fix-the-blue-borders-on-an-extender 2/4
1. Copy the name of the containing folder on paper or by first opening a new notepad file, then within the registry selecting the proper ID and
using the right click to select rename and highlight the text, copying that text and pasting the text into the notepad file. (we’ll use example: S-
1-5-21-1936395286-2373921472-2568239761-1002)
Now that we’ve located the SID of the extender user we can get started with changing the values to get rid of the border. The numbers used here
can vary from user to user, so you have to understand that the numbers are based upon the feedback to the computer from your extender, Xbox
and the televison MediaCenter is being presented on. (In my experience with my three extenders, if you have a border your numbers are always
higher than zero in the fields of “bottom”, “top”, “left” & “right”.)
First, YOU MUST DO THIS WITH YOUR EXTENDER(S) ON. It is the only way you’ll be able to access the registry properly to alter the
settings and make adjustments accordingly. (Don’t freak out, it’s safe.)
1. In Regedit (with the extender on) navigate to HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1936395286-2373921472-2568239761-
1002\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]
2. Find the settings you’ll adjust: marginBottom, marginLeft, marginRight, marginTop and most importantly, marginSaved
04/12/2013 How to remove the "blue borders" on WMC Extender (Updated for MB3/Win8) - Media Browser Community Tracker
community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/7529/how-do-i-fix-the-blue-borders-on-an-extender 3/4
3. Double click on the one you want to change.
4. Enter a ZERO. Hit OK.
5. Make similar adjustments for all margins
6. Double click marginSaved. Change the value to 1. Click ok.
7. Shut off extender and exit out of regedit for the change to take effect.
The easiest way to explain it is, a registry takes 0 as a no and 1 or any other positive integer as a yes. Just turn the blue border off and set the
margin to remember (save) that it’s off.
Successful example:
“marginLeft”=dword:00000000
“marginTop”=dword:00000000
“marginRight”=dword:00000000
“marginBottom”=dword:00000000
“marginSaved”=dword:00000001