WMC 7 black screen

Vindii

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC 7 black screen

Post by Vindii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm

I have a HTPC I built around 7-8 years ago. Running win 7 MC. Its been running good. Recently the TV screen just went black. Like it doesn't have any input. The PC boots and I can see the bios stuff at boot up and I can see the "starting windows" with the multi colored windows symbol. As soon as that screen finishes it goes black. No response or sounds from the remote or keyboard.

I pulled the PC and plugged in a monitor using the VGA on the video card and its displays and functions properly. Plugged it back into the TV and it does the same thing. I also moved the HDMI plug to the onboard video and its also goes black.

Need some help trouble shooting this. Suggestion on what to look for and how to test. I though maybe the HDMI port on the vid card was going but its odd to see part of the boot screens?

PC is running thru a Denon 2806 receiver.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:56 pm

Take the receiver out of the middle, and plug the PC directly into the TV.

Betcha it works.

Vindii

Post by Vindii » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:51 pm

Why you say that? All was working fine before. I did pull the HDMI plug from the receiver and plugged in my Chromecast and that worked fine. So I believe the receiver and TV are good.

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:29 am

adam1991 wrote:Take the receiver out of the middle, and plug the PC directly into the TV.

Betcha it works.
I would try this first.... the receiver may be the problem. I know you said it's always worked, but receivers don't last forever. It doesn't hurt to try.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:27 am

Vindii wrote:Why you say that? All was working fine before. I did pull the HDMI plug from the receiver and plugged in my Chromecast and that worked fine. So I believe the receiver and TV are good.
Why do you believe the receiver is good? Why do you think the receiver couldn't have broken in some fashion relevant to your WMC hookup?

The fact is, the black screen is the result of HDMI failing between WMC and your TV. Your receiver is in the middle; it's easy to remove for testing purposes. It's also EXTREMELY common for HDMI to decide for some reason that it doesn't like the pathway, think you're trying to circumvent copy protection, and shut down the signal when you have a receiver in the middle.

So take it out of the middle. Plug the HDMI straight from your WMC computer into the TV. What happens?

Why wouldn't you do this very simple, completely reversible, and absolutely free test that takes no more than a couple of minutes?

I guess I get exasperated when people ask for help, then refuse something this simple out of principle or because they desperately don't want to know if that turns out to be the problem--as if ignoring it will make things better.

We're here to help. Really.

Vindii

Post by Vindii » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:31 pm

adam1991 wrote:
Vindii wrote:Why you say that? All was working fine before. I did pull the HDMI plug from the receiver and plugged in my Chromecast and that worked fine. So I believe the receiver and TV are good.
Why do you believe the receiver is good? Why do you think the receiver couldn't have broken in some fashion relevant to your WMC hookup?

The fact is, the black screen is the result of HDMI failing between WMC and your TV. Your receiver is in the middle; it's easy to remove for testing purposes. It's also EXTREMELY common for HDMI to decide for some reason that it doesn't like the pathway, think you're trying to circumvent copy protection, and shut down the signal when you have a receiver in the middle.

So take it out of the middle. Plug the HDMI straight from your WMC computer into the TV. What happens?

Why wouldn't you do this very simple, completely reversible, and absolutely free test that takes no more than a couple of minutes?

I guess I get exasperated when people ask for help, then refuse something this simple out of principle or because they desperately don't want to know if that turns out to be the problem--as if ignoring it will make things better.

We're here to help. Really.
Easy now. I think you read way more into my reply than what is there. I didn't say I wouldn't try it. I posted this to get ideas of what to try. Silly not to follow thru.

I simple asked why you thought it may be the receiver. I also gave you the reason why I thought the receiver was ok. As I said I plugged a different device into the receiver HDMI port and it worked fine. Doesn't mean its still not a resolution issue or something like that. I just wanted to know what your thinking was. Nothing wrong with asking that is there.

Ill hook it back up this weekend and go direct from the PC to the tv. It will narrow things down.

If its HDMI failing between the TV and the PC is it normal to still see the boot up screen and the windows starting logo screen?

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:21 pm

Welcome to the black screen club.

Your issue is slightly different but you can read through the thread that I created looking for help. Maybe something in there will help you.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=9167

Vindii

Post by Vindii » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:13 pm

Finally got some time to mess with this today. I plugged the HTPC back into the tv. Direct without the receiver. Same problem. Switched to the other tv input and also a different HMDI cable. No change. I don't have any DVI inputs on the receiver or tv to try another connection.

Pulled the PC and hooked it to a monitor with VGA. Now it does the same thing on the monitor. Same on both the motherboard VGA and the video card VGA. Boots to the starting windows screen and then goes black and sames no signal.

Not sure if its a bad video card or if its software related?

Thoughts?

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:09 pm

While still connected VGA to monitor boot into safe mode and see if you can uninstall all of the current drivers (both on board and external). If that doesn't work trying physically removing the addin card and boot to safe mode with on board card. If you can't get to safe mode best bet is to try and reload windoze with a full reformat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Vindii

Post by Vindii » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:28 pm

EZEd wrote:While still connected VGA to monitor boot into safe mode and see if you can uninstall all of the current drivers (both on board and external). If that doesn't work trying physically removing the addin card and boot to safe mode with on board card. If you can't get to safe mode best bet is to try and reload windoze with a full reformat.

Tried to boot into safe mode on the tv screen and the monitor. Both times it comes up black with only a cursor that doesn't move. I'll pull the card and try again.

Vindii

Post by Vindii » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:34 am

No safe mode with vid card out.

I also have a repair disk I made at last install. Tried using that and nothing.

It takes so long to get these running well I really dont want to wipe it out.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Vindii wrote:No safe mode with vid card out.

I also have a repair disk I made at last install. Tried using that and nothing.

It takes so long to get these running well I really dont want to wipe it out.
I here ya on not wanting to start over. For me at this point it's usually better for me to reload than chasing ghosts trying to putz around with fixes. Best of luck to you. I hope it has a happy ending.