Guide Data Running Out - Spring 2016 DST

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
CXGY

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by CXGY » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:48 pm

Still no OTA update here, just sat channels update (same as last couple of weeks). This is what I have discovered over the past couple of weeks :

If I copy an old working version of mcpeg2-3.db (from March 1st) over top of my current version found in c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/ehome/mcpeg2-3.db, I will get a guide with all data missing. Hitting 'Get Latest Guide Listings' will populate the entire guide - both OTA and satellite for the full 11 days. However from then on, only the sat data updates daily, the OTA data remains old. A week later if I repeat this procedure, I get a full guide again - both OTA & satellite. It's the OTA data that refuses to update after that. Perhaps a whole new setup is the only thing that will fix this for me (I hate having to redo the channels & logos though). For now though, I'll wait a few days to see if OTA updates return. In the past, reinstating an old working version of the .db usually fixed everything.

PS - your .db may be mcpeg2-0, mcpeg2-1, etc. Mines just happens to be 2-3 now. The .db retains active channel & logo info & recording sked. I always do a backup of this file when things work OK so that I don't have to redo the setup.

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:14 pm

Just checked, and my guide updated as well...new guide end date: 4/21/2016 - 1pm.

I'm in NY.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 am

CXGY wrote:Still no OTA update here, just sat channels update (same as last couple of weeks). This is what I have discovered over the past couple of weeks :

If I copy an old working version of mcpeg2-3.db (from March 1st) over top of my current version found in c:/ProgramData/Microsoft/ehome/mcpeg2-3.db, I will get a guide with all data missing. Hitting 'Get Latest Guide Listings' will populate the entire guide - both OTA and satellite for the full 11 days. However from then on, only the sat data updates daily, the OTA data remains old. A week later if I repeat this procedure, I get a full guide again - both OTA & satellite. It's the OTA data that refuses to update after that. Perhaps a whole new setup is the only thing that will fix this for me (I hate having to redo the channels & logos though). For now though, I'll wait a few days to see if OTA updates return. In the past, reinstating an old working version of the .db usually fixed everything.

PS - your .db may be mcpeg2-0, mcpeg2-1, etc. Mines just happens to be 2-3 now. The .db retains active channel & logo info & recording sked. I always do a backup of this file when things work OK so that I don't have to redo the setup.
Same thing has been happening on my system (Dish and OTA). Dish is up to date, but OTA has No Data. I run the objectstorerecovery task and after it runs all data is downloaded. I've had to do it after each of the DST data stops. Try it and let it run to completion. If you run My Media Center you'll need to restart after the task.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:15 pm

dkrom wrote:
CXGY wrote:Still no OTA update here, just sat channels update (same as last couple of weeks). This is what I have discovered over the past couple of weeks :

Same thing has been happening on my system (Dish and OTA). Dish is up to date, but OTA has No Data. I run the objectstorerecovery task and after it runs all data is downloaded. I've had to do it after each of the DST data stops. Try it and let it run to completion. If you run My Media Center you'll need to restart after the task.
Are both of you in the location? What is your local guide number? (Go to Tasks/TV/Guide/about guide There should be two guides there, one for dish and one for OTA and each will have a guide number. It sounds like you're either missing the second guide or the guide number has been changed and stopped working. If you are in different locals, then it sounds like MC lost the second guide. To fix that means running TV set-up again, scheduling won't be lost, just the amount of time it takes your machine to run tv set-up. I set-up a brand new machine which included running the Cable Advisor and then tv set-up and it took over an hour and half for MC to complete on a new machine so be patient. I wasn't and started over twice because the screen saver cut in and then the MC Window was black after I woke the computer. Finally I shut off all screen savers and turn monitor off controls and got it all the way through.

Without locals and guide numbers, its hard to troubleshoot.

Octavean

Post by Octavean » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:32 pm

dkrom wrote:

Same thing has been happening to me. However, in my case the OTA ATSC channels no longer updates guide data (seemingly after guide data issues from MS / Rovi) and the same corresponding channels via cable also have no guide data updates as well. So for example CBS channel "2.1" (HD OTA ATSC) has no guide data updates, CBS channel "2" (SD cable) has no guide data updates and CBS "602" (HD cable) has no guide data updates. However, cable channels that have no corresponding OTA ATSC analogous channels like HBO channel "700" (HD cable) has guide data updates and HBO channel "400" (SD cable) has guide data as well. And so on,...

In my case the tuners are 2x Hauppauge HD PVR units and 2x SiliconDust HDHomeRun units. The setup depends on DVBLink for Hauppauge HD PVR software for tuner compatibility in Media Center. The DVBLink software spoof DVB-T Satellite tuners to achieve this compatibility.

In order to fix the problem I've had to do the objectstorerecovery task but I would prefer to not have to do this and have to go through Media Center tuner setup again,.....

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:48 pm

If you havent tried it, download LineupSelector:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 439#p97439.

If indeed its simply that the guide as forgotten the OTA listing, you can re-merge it back in.

When you run it, it starts with the existing guide lineup and then you specify which lineup you want to merge. You'd pick the OTA lineup. Then there are some options about what you want to do with duplicates and non existent stations. Set those accordingly and run it.

Re-merging lineups might make things show up again. The worst that can happen is you'll have to re-run TV setup.

Bee_Dee_3_Dee

Post by Bee_Dee_3_Dee » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Octavean wrote:
dkrom wrote:

Same thing has been happening to me. However, in my case the OTA ATSC channels no longer updates guide data (seemingly after guide data issues from MS / Rovi) and the same corresponding channels via cable also have no guide data updates as well. So for example CBS channel "2.1" (HD OTA ATSC) has no guide data updates, CBS channel "2" (SD cable) has no guide data updates and CBS "602" (HD cable) has no guide data updates. However, cable channels that have no corresponding OTA ATSC analogous channels like HBO channel "700" (HD cable) has guide data updates and HBO channel "400" (SD cable) has guide data as well. And so on,...

In my case the tuners are 2x Hauppauge HD PVR units and 2x SiliconDust HDHomeRun units. The setup depends on DVBLink for Hauppauge HD PVR software for tuner compatibility in Media Center. The DVBLink software spoof DVB-T Satellite tuners to achieve this compatibility.

In order to fix the problem I've had to do the objectstorerecovery task but I would prefer to not have to do this and have to go through Media Center tuner setup again,.....
which extra folders created by ObjectRecovery are safe to delete? (after a backup image is made for contingency.)

ty :)

CXGY

Post by CXGY » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:01 pm

Both my OTA (Buffalo) and Sat (Buffalo) are now updating again since the above post. Fingers crossed.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:10 pm

Octavean wrote:
dkrom wrote:

Why would you have to run through Media Center tuner setup? I've never had to when using objectstorerecovery.

julesism

Post by julesism » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 am

Still no guide data here.... I'm OTA only in 72207 (Little Rock/Pine Bluff AR). When I run TV Setup and put in zip code, it gets stuck a little more than halfway though then throws up a download failure error. I've tried different zips and I have ran the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask several times. Could someone ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com and let me know what IP you get? I'm wondering if I've got an old IP in my hosts file. I've come across 3 different IPs while looking for a fix. I cannot ping any of them. Also open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm

julesism wrote:Still no guide data here.... I'm OTA only in 72207 (Little Rock/Pine Bluff AR). When I run TV Setup and put in zip code, it gets stuck a little more than halfway though then throws up a download failure error. I've tried different zips and I have ran the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask several times. Could someone ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com and let me know what IP you get? I'm wondering if I've got an old IP in my hosts file. I've come across 3 different IPs while looking for a fix. I cannot ping any of them. Also open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I know of one but get chastised for mentioning it in the WMC EPG forum. Use EPG123. Also see The Green Button EPG123 Forum

julesism

Post by julesism » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at EPG123 but I'm not ready to pay for the SD sub. If I can just get WMC to let me pick my location/line-up.... not sure what the problem is :(

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:20 am

julesism wrote:Still no guide data here.... I'm OTA only in 72207 (Little Rock/Pine Bluff AR). When I run TV Setup and put in zip code, it gets stuck a little more than halfway though then throws up a download failure error. I've tried different zips and I have ran the ObjectStoreRecoveryTask several times. Could someone ping data.tvdownload.microsoft.com and let me know what IP you get? I'm wondering if I've got an old IP in my hosts file. I've come across 3 different IPs while looking for a fix. I cannot ping any of them. Also open to other suggestions. Thanks in advance.
I'd suggest removing any entries in the hosts file, running objectstorerecovery, restart, then trying setup again. It probably won't work, but worth a first try. Next, I would remove media center in the programs control panel, restart, then add it again, and restart.

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:44 pm

I have been having problems with WMC on my two regularly used Windows 7 machines failing to update many of the secondary OTA channels in the EPG (that is, the ones with channel numbers ending .2 or .3, as well as one or two of the .1 OTA channels. It shows No Data Available, even though the Cablevision (Optimum) CableCARD channels and most OTA channels are now updating. I was not aware that I should backup these files so I do not have a prior copy except possibly by doing a full image restore, and I am not sure that my image is from an appropriate time. Would copying the files from another working system be likely to work?? Do these files contain the scheduled programs as well? I am guessing that your suggestion is to just copy the 2 filing ending in .db, not the additional folders in eHome. Thank you for your advice. I am pretty new to messing with the innards of WMC, as before the Rovi changeover it just worked well for over 4 years. I am still considering trying epg123 instead, but am unsure.

If relevant I am in zip code 11238, Brooklyn NY, using SiliconDust Prime and Connect CableCARD and OTA tuners.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 pm

markfromBrooklyn wrote:I have been having problems with WMC on my two regularly used Windows 7 machines failing to update many of the secondary OTA channels in the EPG (that is, the ones with channel numbers ending .2 or .3, as well as one or two of the .1 OTA channels. It shows No Data Available, even though the Cablevision (Optimum) CableCARD channels and most OTA channels are now updating. I was not aware that I should backup these files so I do not have a prior copy except possibly by doing a full image restore, and I am not sure that my image is from an appropriate time. Would copying the files from another working system be likely to work?? Do these files contain the scheduled programs as well? I am guessing that your suggestion is to just copy the 2 filing ending in .db, not the additional folders in eHome. Thank you for your advice. I am pretty new to messing with the innards of WMC, as before the Rovi changeover it just worked well for over 4 years. I am still considering trying epg123 instead, but am unsure.

If relevant I am in zip code 11238, Brooklyn NY, using SiliconDust Prime and Connect CableCARD and OTA tuners.
Did you try objectstorerecovery? It's much easier than finding files and doing all that extra work. It works every time my guide stops downloading the OTA, which isn't often, just at the annual DST data stops.

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Yes, I tried objectstorerecovery. The guide downloaded overnight afterwards, but was still missing data for the certain OTA channels, mostly secondary, that had been missing before. It downloaded data for all of the cablecard channels and most of the OTA channels, but is missing many of the .2 channels, including a two that I watch regularly. Thank you for the suggestion.

julesism

Post by julesism » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm fixed! Pretty sure the post below is what did if for me:

The media guide content is in a file named “mcepgX-X.db” and a directory “mcepgX-X”, all in the c:\program data\microsoft\eHome directory. The “X-X” means it may be different for your PC. For instance it may be “mcepg2-0” or it may be “mcepg1-0” depending how many times you have rerun the WMC setup again in the past. I actually had two instances. In that case use the highest number with the newest date. The file and directory will always be the same. I.e. X-X- for the directory name and file name.
Delete both the mcepgx-x file and directory on the problem PC, and copy these same files and directory's from a PC where the switchover to Rovi worked successfully. Make sure you rename the files so the x-x- matches the original file names on the problem PC, as these x-x values might be different on the PC from which you copied the files.
Reboot the PC and start WMC again. Upon startup, WMC responds immediately with a message that there is a problem with the database file, and that it will therefore reload program data again to fix the issue (make sure you are connected to the internet at this stage).

That is from Trmalee's post on:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 891?page=3

I fired up WMC on a different machine, walked through config, copied files over, re-did config on original WMC PC, profit!

gsr

Post by gsr » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 pm

julesism wrote:I'm fixed! Pretty sure the post below is what did if for me:

The media guide content is in a file named “mcepgX-X.db” and a directory “mcepgX-X”, all in the c:\program data\microsoft\eHome directory. The “X-X” means it may be different for your PC. For instance it may be “mcepg2-0” or it may be “mcepg1-0” depending how many times you have rerun the WMC setup again in the past. I actually had two instances. In that case use the highest number with the newest date. The file and directory will always be the same. I.e. X-X- for the directory name and file name.
Delete both the mcepgx-x file and directory on the problem PC, and copy these same files and directory's from a PC where the switchover to Rovi worked successfully. Make sure you rename the files so the x-x- matches the original file names on the problem PC, as these x-x values might be different on the PC from which you copied the files.
Reboot the PC and start WMC again. Upon startup, WMC responds immediately with a message that there is a problem with the database file, and that it will therefore reload program data again to fix the issue (make sure you are connected to the internet at this stage).

That is from Trmalee's post on:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 891?page=3

I fired up WMC on a different machine, walked through config, copied files over, re-did config on original WMC PC, profit!
I'm having somewhat similar problems for the last several days. Media Center will work fine for around 24 hours. Then around 7PM each night, when I try to watch something, the UI crashes and restarts, then crashes again, at which point I need to reboot. When it gets into this state, no recordings happen. My guide data only goes till 4/26.

So I tried renaming the mceepgX-X.db file and got a message from Windows that it's locked. Did you have to boot into safe mode or something to make these changes?

julesism

Post by julesism » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Hello. I did not have to boot into safe mode, but that sounds like an easy way to get around it. I did get the locked files message. I did a normal reboot and made sure not to open anything WMC related, including extenders, after the reboot. I just checked my guide... I've got data past 5/1. The only problem I had was no guide data.

gsr

Post by gsr » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:38 pm

julesism wrote:Hello. I did not have to boot into safe mode, but that sounds like an easy way to get around it. I did get the locked files message. I did a normal reboot and made sure not to open anything WMC related, including extenders, after the reboot. I just checked my guide... I've got data past 5/1. The only problem I had was no guide data.
Ah, that might be my problem with changing the file. The PC is setup to automatically start WMC when it boots up. Closing WMC after it has started once might not be the same as not letting it start at all. I'll try disabling that and see where it gets me. Once I can rename or delete the file, I've got access to another WMC box that I can copy the files from (same zip code).

At this point, I really only need WMC for 1 show on a Copy Once channel (The Americans on FX, thanks FOX...) as JRiver Media Center can handle everything else I watch. But I've been letting WMC and JRiver run in parallel for a while to build up my confidence in JRiver's TV functionality and so I've got a backup in case either one fails to record something. Of course, if more channels I care about follow suit with using the Copy Once flag, my need for WMC could increase again.