WMC exclusively - No Windows Update or Antivirus needed?

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:58 pm

JTScribe wrote:With the way MS is starting to treat the Windows 10 "upgrades" I would be leery of allowing any updates. The keep re-shoving some of the telemetry updates over and over again. If you're going to do updates I'd get something like GWX Control Panel to make sure it doesn't try to "upgrade" behind your back.
Over at mydigitallife (where the W10 WMC is), if you look through the Windows 7 area, there are scripts to run that will uninstall all Windows 10 spy ware and there is another one that will HIDE all Windows 10 spyware.

Run those 2 scripts and you COULD leave Win updates on and not worry about 10. I actually disable updates and every month or 2, I will manually go through them one by one to see what they do or fix. If it's kernal based or driver that I need, I will update them, otherwise I hide them (most security updates I DO install)...but, I do check them ONE BY ONE...

And I ONLY do that, the morning AFTER a full backup was completed, so I have a 100% roll back, just in case...

Over the years, I have been burnt many times in WMC by updates....(maybe 5-7 times over the years, going back to XP MCE)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012