WTB Win8.1 WMC Product Key

Sell and buy stuff from other TGBers!
Forum rules
WARNING: Always use caution when purchasing from strangers. Remember this site does NOT provide buyer protection. Never send your credit card information to a user.
hardmack

HTPC Specs: Show details

WTB Win8.1 WMC Product Key

Post by hardmack » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:58 am

Hey Folks,

It was suggested I post here to see if anyone has a 8.1WMC PK for sale. I have lost my key and recently suffered a drive failure and now Im stuck without the ability to reinstall the feature that's I already paid for. Nothing the less if someone is willing to part with their unused key it would help me out (stuck on win8 to use xbox as extenders for the kids rooms.)

Thanks in advance.
MacK

hardmack

Post by hardmack » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:32 am

My new ssd shows up tomorrow, still looking for a key if anyone has one they are interested in selling.

hardmack

Post by hardmack » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Well Im going to try to install win7, install wmc and then upgrade to 8... anyone know if this works?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:15 pm

hardmack wrote:Well Im going to try to install win7, install WMC and then upgrade to 8... anyone know if this works?
No matter what the upgrade path, you lose WMC in Win 8 unless you have a key. Why not upgrade to 10 and run the hacked version of WMC?

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:42 pm

mdavej wrote:
hardmack wrote:Well Im going to try to install win7, install WMC and then upgrade to 8... anyone know if this works?
No matter what the upgrade path, you lose WMC in Win 8 unless you have a key. Why not upgrade to 10 and run the hacked version of WMC?
Or just keep 7 and not worry about anything? The Xbox runs great as an extender with 7, everything is stable, it's still getting updates...

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 pm

dkrom wrote:
mdavej wrote:
Or just keep 7 and not worry about anything? The Xbox runs great as an extender with 7, everything is stable, it's still getting updates...
Use something that actually works? Now that's just crazy talk ;)

hardmack

Post by hardmack » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:39 am

dkrom wrote:
mdavej wrote:
xbox does work as an extender on 7? I thought it was only under 8... Im getting ready to install it now...

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 am

hardmack wrote:
xbox does work as an extender on 7? I thought it was only under 8... Im getting ready to install it now...
Yes, the Xbox is the only extender that works with all versions of Windows Media Center (even XP - I ran it for years).

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:41 pm

A bunch of extenders worked with Windows 7. It's Windows 8/8.1 that only the Xbox 360 fully works with it as an extender
hardmack wrote:xbox does work as an extender on 7? I thought it was only under 8... Im getting ready to install it now...

SaintMaybe

Post by SaintMaybe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:15 pm

I also am looking for a Windows 8.1 Media Center key - I don't want to blow up one machine so I can use its license on my new machine ...I like not having to reboot often in Win8.1 versus Win7U. so I'm not going backwards, and I'm not going to Win10 without WMC.
Lemme know if anyone has a key to sell. Thanks.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:12 am

Not sure why you have to reboot 7 so much... I let mine run nonstop for months without restarting (I did the same when I had my XP setup).

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:54 pm

dkrom wrote:Not sure why you have to reboot 7 so much... I let mine run nonstop for months without restarting (I did the same when I had my XP setup).
Must not be a dedicated machine. If you do other things and apps on a PC, it would need to be rebooted more. Personally my HTPC, I have a batch script that reboots it at 4am on a weekend (using the task scheduler), so no one is on it and it takes care of thos possable isssues but, it does not need it.

If you have 8.1 and WANT WMC but, are not using Extenders, download the Windows 10 WMC installer. It works perfect on 8.1...and it's free :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

SaintMaybe

Post by SaintMaybe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:38 pm

dkrom wrote:Not sure why you have to reboot 7 so much... I let mine run nonstop for months without restarting (I did the same when I had my XP setup).
Correct - it's not a dedicated machne ... it does VMs, games, etc - and since around the release of Win10, Microsoft keeps releasing updates.

SaintMaybe

Post by SaintMaybe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:39 pm

SaintMaybe wrote:
Correct - it's not a dedicated machne ... it does VMs, games, etc - and since around the release of Win10, Microsoft keeps releasing updates.
I need a key myself for WMC so that I can use it with my Ceton tuner - PlayReady (or whatever makes DRM work with WMC) isn't working on Win10. I have a pretty nice setup - cost me a lot over several years to get going, and when everything starts working nicely, Microsoft pulls out the DRM rug from under my feet.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:34 pm

SaintMaybe wrote:
SaintMaybe wrote:
I need a key myself for WMC so that I can use it with my Ceton tuner - PlayReady (or whatever makes DRM work with WMC) isn't working on Win10. I have a pretty nice setup - cost me a lot over several years to get going, and when everything starts working nicely, Microsoft pulls out the DRM rug from under my feet.
WIndows 10 WMC does work perfectly, the OLDER versions it didn't work but, in the later v11/v12 they work fine (DRM).
SaintMaybe wrote:Microsoft pulls out the DRM rug from under my feet.
DRM works fine and has been for years, not sure why you keep saying that....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012