WMC Freezes on Cable Channels But Extenders Work

sourcehound

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Freezes on Cable Channels But Extenders Work

Post by sourcehound » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:41 am

For the last couple of days, whenever I try to tune to a channel from my HD HomeRun Prime, WMC freezes hard, and I have to reboot to get control of the computer.

However, all my extenders still work perfectly, even with the display frozen.

I've reinstalled all drivers, not sure what to try next - I'll probably have to rebuild my system, but if anyone has any tips I would appreciate it.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:26 am

That is difficult to figure out if your screen is completely frozen as you can't check task manager or performance monitor for any indication as to what is happening. I would look at your storage first. is it almost full, failing? how about your RAM, did you make any recent configuration changes. How about any recent driver updates?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:34 am

Video driver ?

If extenders work, It's not the hard drive, or should not be CPU(if another major part of hardware was failing, Extenders would not work or be spotty or choppy). I'd say, uninstall your video driver completely and re-install it, try again...

Just a thought tho...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:12 pm

There's a lot of constant hard drive activity - so I'm going to replace the drive.
I've uninstalled / reinstalled the video drivers and tested / scanned the hard drive, ran a SMART test, nothing.

No other hardware changes except for a lot of resets of WMC lately due to guide issues.

Another key point is that the video playback works perfectly with the HDHomeRun View program and Windows Media Player, so it's probably not the video card.

Also I have an HDHomeRun connect for Broadcast TV which works. It's only when I try to tune to a cable channel does it freeze.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:46 pm

I searched silicon dust forums and found this https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewt ... ng#p176657 You might want to try using this http://www.hdsentinel.com/

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:18 pm

That was my thought too, and I switched the recording drive to a different drive, same problem.
If it is the drive going bad, wouldn't that affect the HDHomeRun Connect (OTA Tuner) too? That works perfectly.

It's just the HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard Tuner) that is locking up.

I'm going to install WMC on another computer to see if I can watch the HDHomeRun Prime....and may replace the drive in my main WMC computer.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Might be your system drive, only other things I read suggested motherboard being faulty.

sourcehound

Post by sourcehound » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 pm

The other box I set up works perfectly, so I'm gonna replace the system drive and see what happens.