"Tuner Not Available" after system wake up

WMCEnthusiast

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Tuner Not Available" after system wake up

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:44 pm

I hope your days were merry and bright, and that all your Christmases were white.

I have a serious issue here that has already ruined three of my scheduled recordings. Seems like the tuner randomly goes undetected from time to time after I put the system to sleep. When I return and initiate Live TV, I see the following message:

Live TV only works again after rebooting, or if I unplug the FireWire cable and plug it back in. My tuner is a Digital Everywhere FireDTV S2 with latest drivers. I already tried uninstalling both drivers and the FireTV software (I only watch TV through WMC anyway) and then installing only the drivers via device manager, but to no avail. First I thought that ServerWMC might interfere because it makes the tuner available for streaming TV to our Kodi machine in the kitchen, but closing it didn't help either.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:17 pm

What is the make and model of your tuner? Is it attached via PCI, USB, or ethernet?

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:39 pm

Sounds like the firewire driver is not waking correctly from a sleep. One thing to check is if the driver has any power saving settings i.e. allowing the device to be turned off to save power. Make sure those are not set. (usually accessible from the device manager - see if it has a power management tab for the driver in the properties menu)

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Doh, sorry for the red herring tuner question above. If I could just learn to read...

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:32 pm

This happens to me with my HDHR Prime. I can't find any rhyme or reason as to when or why it happens; I just do what it says...restart MC.

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks for the response.

@mcewinter: I figured I couldn't be the only one with this problem. Is your HomeRun connected via USB? In that case, you might need to disable "USB selective suspend setting" inside the power options.

As for my own issue, I scheduled some test recordings and after the first one stopped at the 22 minute mark because of an unprecedented system freeze, the following ones have succeeded so far. However, when I woke up the machine in between and tried to start Live TV, it said "Viewing or Listening Conflict - No tuner available to satisfy the current request." I forgot to mention that I had seen this error multiple times before, just not as frequent as "Tuner Not Available". For once, restarting WMC solved it, but today it didn't and I had to pull the plug again.

@stuartm:

As you can see from the screenshots below, there are no power options for the IEEE1394 or the tuner driver, respectively:

However, your advice reminded me of another power related setting that might be interfering - hybrid sleep. I have a feeling I'm headed in the right direction now. I disabled the option and will report back after a few more test recordings and wake ups.

You all have a happy New Year's!