XBox 360s extender WMC7 channel use

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
crazymayhem

HTPC Specs: Show details

XBox 360s extender WMC7 channel use

Post by crazymayhem » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi,

Ive got a W7 with WMC running on a i3 NUC 24/7, with a SD Prime, both on Gbit LAN. So far so good, but the NUC is starting to have issues, heat, hdd, and a few others.

I am planning on building a new home server anyways (have a unused original WHS2011) and was thinking of running a virtualized W7WMC and a virtualized WHS2011 off of a 2012 R2 HyperV host.
Thats just an idea for now, as I need to do something in the direction of hardware anyways.

My main question is how does an extender use the channels on the SD Prime. From what Ive read, its the W7WMC host which uses the channels. It then extends it to the extender, in this case a X360s (dont have it yet - planned).
I often run into the case where I am recording 3 channels in parallel and max out the SD Prime tuners. I do sometimes watch one of the channels being recorded, and that works without an issue directly on the W7WMC NUC today.
Would a extender require its own tuner (so a 4th one) in this case, or would it use the tuner that is recording the channel? Basically, if I am recording 3 shows on the in future virtualized W7WMC host, and then turn on the XBOX360s, and then want to watch one of the channels being currently recorded, will that work or will it complain because there is no free tuner (or kill one of the ongoing recordings)?

Thanks,

Dan

soapdishbandit

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by soapdishbandit » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:07 am

It will work. Think of an extender as just another user logged onto main pc. If all tuners are used, it won't require a 4th to watch whatever you're recording.