Staying with WMC to the end

windham9

HTPC Specs: Show details

Staying with WMC to the end

Post by windham9 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:19 pm

Sad to see the abandonment of WMC by MS in newer versions.
I have 4 Win7 HTPC's , 4- 6 years old, that are all working properly now.
That guide switch was awful. But if Rovi works for 4+ years, it was worth the effort.
I also have an older Vista HTPC, I never got it changed over, doubt I'll try again.
Hope to keep all 4 win7 machines & all those silicondust hdhomerun tuners going until the guide is shut down completely.
I wish MS would quit sending the free upgrade to win10 offers.
If the new version is so good , then why is it free??? :?:

STC

Post by STC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:32 pm

^ Because they want to ensure they have a tight grip on your cahoonas for the foreseeable future...

They get their return in many other ways once you use the OS.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:37 pm

windham9 wrote:If the new version is so good , then why is it free??? :?:
No need to worry over it being free as that will end on July 28, 2016.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:19 pm

I pretty much feel that way too

I am not updating to Win10 and it is my primary computer that serves as my mediacenter computer

I have a Ceton 4 usb hooked to it right now and I am scraping everything I can off comcast

I already have a ClearStream 4v antenna tested and I will get 50+ stations on it and I will use my coax from cable to feed my TVs. Now I have to install Cat5 to all the TV outlets so I can install Android Boxes with Kodi.tv so I can watch from my archive or stream from the net through the HDMI Port and use the Coax port on the tv for Live TV OTA.

I really need a NAS Raid 5 Server for my archive since its getting really big now I could go 24/7 and not watch the same show or movie for probably about 16 months now.. so

I am concentrating on shows that don't rerun or get broadcast OTA and Movies off Basic Cable

In the end I should be good to go even when Data Caps are introduced I will have a ton of shows recorded or OTA that I won't have to stream and then I will stream limited content that I can't get OTA .. like clips from FoxNews through Kodi or something new that might be offered in the future.

I will probably get rid of the Ceton before Media Center and then go OTA on Media Center to record series like NCIS or Hells Kitchen or something that is new but if its already in rerun i will have it on a drive and I can just play it...

TV is a big part of my day .. its on all day in my home.. I work with it on the news and watch a couple series or some sports .. but I don't have a stereo or or listen to music anymore.. I did that when I was younger and would play music all the time.. but then I got into watching the news a lot.. probably because of 911 or maybe elections.. and Now I watch news all day.. so I will miss that a lot.. but there are other sources for the same or similar content.. and you're more likely to hear about live news on twitter faster than cable news today.. heh I don't know things will change a lot I guess with ASTC 3.0 and streaming.. Hopefully I will be healthy enough to enjoy that as I get older.. I am not really old right now but things are getting much more difficult for me.. eyesight and health.. so we will see.

dhwinner

Post by dhwinner » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Just wanted to chime in,

I am also staying with WMC until the end. Until there is a better system to be able to have extenders there still isn't a better solution for protected content. I am using a win7 pro dedicated HTPC with a Ceton 4 pcie card and multiple echos in my house. But I also use some chromecast's to bring the internet TV portion in. Good combo works well (for now).

windham9

Post by windham9 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Hopefully enough of us stick around to the end that a 3rd party would take over supporting the guide after MS stops.

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:21 pm

dhwinner wrote:JI am also staying with WMC until the end. Until there is a better system to be able to have extenders there still isn't a better solution for protected content. I am using a win7 pro dedicated HTPC with a Ceton 4 pcie card and multiple echos in my house. But I also use some chromecast's to bring the internet TV portion in. Good combo works well (for now).
I'm now in my 6th year of WMC using Ceton InfiniTV4 for cable, and OTA/ATSC tuner for local off-air networks from roof antenna. Originally it was single-tuner ATSC tuner from ATI/AMD, and now it's a dual-tuner HVR-2250 from Hauppauge. During a Ceton sale one year I bought a 6-tuner internal PCIe card just in case my 4-tuner card should die, but the second card is still sitting there new in a box. The 4-tuner card just keeps on truckin' without a hitch.

Storage capacity has been expanded over the years, with about 1.5TB primary recording folder and another 5TB secondary playback folders, so that I can handle recording the Olympics almost constantly for two weeks every two years (as is the recent evolution on NBC) and then still being able to watch it gradually over the following months, without impacting other normal viewing.

I never went with Echo's, having used Linksys DMA2100 as my extenders since day 1. WONDERFULLY DEPENDABLE AND RELIABLE!!! When I built the HTPC I also had my house wired with CAT6 cable to each room, which provides a wired whole-home solution that simply never fails. The DMA2100 theoretically provides wireless capability as well, but I never even considered using it.

I've had my same original four DMA2100 boxes in operation at my four HDTVs all this time, and never had a single one fail such that it needed to be replaced. I actually have another four, each still new in a box, purchased for use as someday spares although the way things are going with the current four I don't ever expect to be using them.

Although the ROVI Guide issues were quite a problem last year when the transition occurred, it's at least been stabilized by both the vendor and MS so that it's back to being quite usable and problem-free for me, even if not quite as informative as the Zap2it guide was. For my own needs, as long as it provides about 12-13 days into the future, and as long as my many scheduled series and one-off recordings still get done without fail (and they do), that's really what I care about.

I'm in it with WMC until the ship goes down, as long as it lasts. I have no interest in Tivo.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:03 pm

Have to agree WMC is pretty much ideal for my needs. It is an appliance as far as I am concerned and I don't need ongoing support other than a reliable guide for scheduling recordings and showing what's on. I don't need Win 7 updates since once I got everything working I disabled updates long ago and imaged my disk. There seem to be 3rd party guide solutions in development or already available (at least in the US) so I intend to stick with it until something forces me to switch. I have no interest in spending a bunch of money on a Tivo.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 pm

stuartm wrote:I have no interest in spending a bunch of money on a Tivo.
My Tivo with lifetime cost significantly less than my HTPC and tuners. Bonus is the guide isn't complete garbage.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:57 pm

Won't argue with you here but if Tivo satisfies your needs good for you. It doesn't for me. The cost to build my HTPC etc. was comparable to a current TIvo + lifetime cost. It doesn't look to me like the Tivo can even do simultaneous OTA/Cable recording although to be fair I didn't research that fully. I feel I have more flexibility and upgrade options than Tivo offers. The guide while is of reduced quality is still plenty good enough for my purposes. And currently still free.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 am

STC wrote:^ Because they want to ensure they have a tight grip on your cahoonas for the foreseeable future...

Exactly

Their ONLY goal is to build up Windows 10 usage so devs come to make apps for Windows 10 (Windows 10 store anyone ?)...and maybe Windows Phone (universal apps)

More apps come, more people get apps, more sales of apps, means more money for Microsoft... Just like they were talking about giving the OS free but, doing a subscription plan on it for updates, just even the talk of that got major backlash to Microsoft... even talking about it was a PR nightmare.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:12 pm

For WMC on Windows 7 and 8.1, the major risk is the program guide service. At some point, Microsoft will stop supporting it - and the exact date is unclear, because Microsoft considers WMC to be a consumer product, they've stopped selling new WMC licenses (Windows 8.x or Windows 7), and the end of consumer (mainstream) support for Windows 8.x is scheduled for January 2018. Though by then, it's likely someone will develop a cleaner solution to using a 3rd party guide service - which could extend WMC on Windows 7/8.x after Microsoft shuts down their WMC program guide service.

The future is less clear on using Xbox 360 as WMC extenders. Microsoft will start ramping down Xbox 360 support in 2016 - and the future is unclear for how installed Xbox 360 extenders will continue to work or at what point it may not be possible to add new extenders to a WMC. It's also unclear if there'll be any possibility for a 3rd party to keep the extender software working once Microsoft does something to pull the plug.

While it's likely we are going to continue using WMC for at least several more years, I'm also exploring other options. SD's DVR project initially appeared promising, but there focus may not be on providing a WMC replacement - and JRiver didn't get the funding they wanted to add DRM to their Media Center. Since Microsoft hasn't made any statement on how long they plan to continue supporting WMC, I want to be prepared to deploy a replacement on short notice, so in parallel with evaluating what SD is doing - I'm also going to more closely look at TiVo or Comcast's X1 AnyRoom DVR solutions - as potential replacements, if/when our "whole home" WMC environment stops working...

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:22 pm

windham9 wrote: I wish MS would quit sending the free upgrade to win10 offers.
Disable Windows 10 upgrade notifications using GWX Control Panel... http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:18 pm

bob_p wrote:For WMC on Windows 7 and 8.1, the major risk is the program guide service. At some point, Microsoft will stop supporting it - and the exact date is unclear, because Microsoft considers WMC to be a consumer product, they've stopped selling new WMC licenses (Windows 8.x or Windows 7), and the end of consumer (mainstream) support for Windows 8.x is scheduled for January 2018. Though by then, it's likely someone will develop a cleaner solution to using a 3rd party guide service - which could extend WMC on Windows 7/8.x after Microsoft shuts down their WMC program guide service.

The future is less clear on using Xbox 360 as WMC extenders. Microsoft will start ramping down Xbox 360 support in 2016 - and the future is unclear for how installed Xbox 360 extenders will continue to work or at what point it may not be possible to add new extenders to a WMC. It's also unclear if there'll be any possibility for a 3rd party to keep the extender software working once Microsoft does something to pull the plug....
Windows Media Center is in a maintain level with WMC only. If they release a update on 7 or 8.1 that breaks it, they will fix it, and I would bet in their internal testing, they do test updates that could affect WMC (files that it uses, registry, etc). Just like RDP version on Windows 7, they could of upgraded them to the 8.1/10 version but, due to backwards compatabity and breaking WMC extenders (a native feature of Windows 7), you will never see it.

Microsoft cut Zap2it due to costs, now that the Xbox one and WMC uses ROVI, I would bet WMC would keep working far after the discontinue of Windows 8.1(final support) but, if it fails one time due to a ROVI update or something, we would be on our own...

Think about what Microsoft services (active internet services) that Windows Media Center uses now. The ONLY thing left is the guide. They has a whole bunch of other options from internet TV (that sucked for the most part) and Sporting options (the sport window in WMC was awesome in it's day). That is it, guide data that is using the same feed as the Xbox one, so low if any cost to Microsoft to keep WMC going...

360's as well are on that level...Till the 360 is finally end of life, it WILL have WMC extender support and it will work.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

robcy

Post by robcy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:26 am

I use a dedicated Windows 7 HTPC with 2 Ceton 4 PCIe cards on Bright House Cable. This covers 4 HDTV's, 1 directly to the computer, and the others on an HP X280N, DMA2200, and XBOX 360. I really have not given much thought to life after WMC, but for the past 5 years it has been rock solid, and way more reliable than the Direct TV it replaced. I have save more than $70 a month in Rental fees for DVR, and multi-room boxes which after the years in service has more than covered the cost of the system. As of right now, I will keep this setup until the very last moment that I possibly can.

BlueScreenOfTOM

Post by BlueScreenOfTOM » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
STC wrote:^ Because they want to ensure they have a tight grip on your cahoonas for the foreseeable future...

Exactly

Their ONLY goal is to build up Windows 10 usage so devs come to make apps for Windows 10 (Windows 10 store anyone ?)...and maybe Windows Phone (universal apps)

More apps come, more people get apps, more sales of apps, means more money for Microsoft... Just like they were talking about giving the OS free but, doing a subscription plan on it for updates, just even the talk of that got major backlash to Microsoft... even talking about it was a PR nightmare.
There's a lot of misinformation here. Microsoft has a lot of goals with Windows 10. One of them is to get more devs to come to their Universal App store, but perhaps more importantly, their long-term goal is to end support for legacy versions of Windows and have "one Windows" going forward. Right now, Microsoft is actively supporting Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10. That takes a ton of resources, resources that could be better placed developing new features and not keeping the Vista-holdouts going. Admittedly, this is bad news for those of us clinging on to what's left of Media Center, but from a Microsoft perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Also, there was never talk of paid updates. Again, this defeats the purpose of "one Windows". Microsoft wants everyone on the latest-and-greatest version of Windows, so they don't have keep supporting those who refuse to upgrade. The only talk of paid updates came from a misguided tech press who assumed this is what Microsoft was going to do, never from Microsoft itself.

windham9

Post by windham9 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:01 pm

I use WMC every day, for many years. 90% of my Microsoft needs/usage is WMC. Without WMC, I wouldn't need 4-5 HTPC's, just one old PC to serve all my other non-TV needs.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:19 pm

BlueScreenOfTOM wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

Exactly

There's a lot of misinformation here. Microsoft has a lot of goals with Windows 10. One of them is to get more devs to come to their Universal App store, but perhaps more importantly, their long-term goal is to end support for legacy versions of Windows and have "one Windows" going forward. Right now, Microsoft is actively supporting Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10. That takes a ton of resources, resources that could be better placed developing new features and not keeping the Vista-holdouts going. Admittedly, this is bad news for those of us clinging on to what's left of Media Center, but from a Microsoft perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

Also, there was never talk of paid updates. Again, this defeats the purpose of "one Windows". Microsoft wants everyone on the latest-and-greatest version of Windows, so they don't have keep supporting those who refuse to upgrade. The only talk of paid updates came from a misguided tech press who assumed this is what Microsoft was going to do, never from Microsoft itself.
Well, I completely understand their vision. The One windows thing. I have seen all their press statements and follow it very well.

When it comes down to it, Universal apps need a lot of time before they grow to the level of iOS or even Android (not talking just about phones, iPad and Android tablets), if it can ever get to that level. In the "app" thing, Microsoft is years to late and millions too short. There is many experts in the field who don't think Windows can EVER catch up to the other devices in this market. They tried it with Windows Phone and after 5 years, they are still lacking big time.

When it comes down to it, Microsoft spent millions if not in the billions point of building Windows 10, the discussion on a lot of sites is WHY ? (their plan aside, in the $$ pocket, AKA stock holders), Giving away an OS like this loses money. So the their GOAL here is to get as many people on Windows 10 as possible, to make money, the more people who use Windows 10, gives a larger market share to Windows 10, and more apps come to the Windows store, More apps mean more money for Microsoft. It does not take a brain surgeon to see this.

There was a tidbit shown from a program manager over on the Windows team that the future of Windows would be a subscription model like Office 365 (pre-Windows 10 release, early in the preview program). You would get the OS free with a upgrade package and there would be a yearly subscription fee for updates on the OS. MOST people in blogs and other threads claimed "Paid updates" and it's how everyone saw it. SO, YES, there was a talk of "paid updates".... And many people complained about it, it was all over Twitter for a while.

Not really sure where you all this " misinformation".... You might want to do a little homework before bashing someone on a public forum. Not all of it's 100% direct from Microsoft but, it's from some very well known people who work or do press for Microsoft...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

BlueScreenOfTOM

Post by BlueScreenOfTOM » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:52 pm

DavidinCT wrote:Not really sure where you all this " misinformation".... You might want to do a little homework before bashing someone on a public forum. Not all of it's 100% direct from Microsoft but, it's from some very well known people who work or do press for Microsoft...
I'm not "bashing" anyone. Your assertion was that the "ONLY" reason that Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 is to make money on apps. I disagree. I conceded that it is one of the reasons, but not the only reason, and I provided a counter-example of another reason why giving away free updates to users would be beneficial for the company.

You're correct that Terry Myerson, the EVP of the OS Group at Microsoft, did say that Windows 10 would be provided as a service. His exact quote was
Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner, with continuous value for our consumer and business customers.
He said nothing about it being a paid service, but as I said in my initial reply, the press picked up this statement and ran with it as a concession from Microsoft that updates would require payment. But there's nothing in the statement that says anything about paid updates.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Our family streams a lot and nearly everything we watched on cable is available on the internet soon after broadcast, so I cancelled cable a month ago. However, I have about 6TB of recorded content and much of it is still in WMC format and I will happily use WMC to watch it.

Only 2 HBO channels were copy-once, everything else was copy-freely so I have transcoded a bunch of content and watch it with PLEX on the Roku. I've used other services like MediaCenter, MediaBrowser, EMBY etc on the PC and on the Roku, and I appreciate the work that went into them and I like the customizations but for me MCE is the one that did the best job with a good, clean interface that works great with a remote control. In fact, I stopped transcoding my WMC recordings (no more worries about hard drive space) and some recordings will remain in their recorded format so I can watch them in WMC. (I know there are ways around this, but I would rather not bother).

So, even though I don't use a tuner (for now) I will be sticking with MCE for a while (in addition to some other services).