No files have been found in this remote library

IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

No files have been found in this remote library

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:54 am

I am trying to share / stream my media library on a Windows 8 PC to other PCs (Windows 10) and devices on my network.

The remote library appears in Media Player OK but when I click on Music, Videos or Pictures I just get "No Files have been found in this remote library". However when I click on Recorded TV I can see and stream all the content fine.

I have Googled this issue to death and tried everything I found:
  • Reset / rebuilt media library
  • Disabled / re-enabled media streaming
  • Tried default and custom device access settings (ratings)
  • Checked file permissions
But always I get the same result; empty libraries except for Recorded TV. The Recorded TV files are located on the same physical disk as the media files. I am running out of ideas. Can anyone else make a suggestion?
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:34 pm

IT Troll wrote:I am trying to share / stream my media library on a Windows 8 PC to other PCs (Windows 10) and devices on my network.

Can anyone else make a suggestion?
First place I would check would be the Win8 PC.....WMC/Tasks/Media Libraries.....

From the sound of your description Recorded TV is set up in Libraries, but the other stuff is not.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:53 pm

The Libraries looked fine, but I removed and re-added the folders anyway. I also rebuilt DRM and even tried the registry setting which enables content sharing from network folders. Still no difference.

However after some more messing about I have finally cracked it! It is Windows Homegroup. You have to create a Homegroup, even if you don't want to use it, in order to turn on sharing of Pictures, Videos or Music. It is only the Homegroup settings screen which allows you to enable streaming media within these libraries.

This is bonkers as the two things are not related. The other PCs don't actually need to join the Homegroup and of course DNLA devices have no concept of, or way of joining, a Homegroup. The Homegroup Library settings screen doesn't actually include an entry for Recorded TV and so clearly this library just gets enabled automatically even without creating a Homegroup.
Attachments
hg20.png
Homegroup Library settings
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:07 pm

Maybe 8 is different (but I doubt it).

With 7, I always setup as a WorkGroup, then go into Advanced Sharing and enable Network Discovery and File and Printer Sharing. I normally leave Media Streaming Off.

Whatever works though.....
Attachments
Network002.JPG

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I was running 7 previously and there are some subtle differences with 8.

Surely if you have Media Streaming turned off you don't getting any DLNA media sharing (unless you are using a third party server)?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:59 pm

IT Troll wrote:Surely if you have Media Streaming turned off you don't getting any DLNA media sharing (unless you are using a third party server)?
I'm not even sure I'm using DLNA. Media Streaming is ON in the server (M4A78PRO), OFF in the clients. All the clients have access to the servers Recorded TV folder through (each of their own) WMC's Library function. No shared Network Tuners.

For Live TV, all the clients share the HDHR's 3 tuners, or use Emby and HTML5 for the other 4 tuners.

Crash2009, XP Pro, has been sort of sent out to pasture. All that one does is serve up a few pictures and some music and a few old MKV's and AVI's.

Seems to work OK, might be a challenge to show someone how to run it. :lol:
Attachments
MyNetwork001.JPG