Ceton InfiniTV 6 - No InfiniTV Found

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Cirdecus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:23 pm

Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH, Model number: 5504-DCT06EX-ETH

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:25 pm

Latest Ceton Replies. From what I experience with their support, they only reply to tickets with copy and paste replies and only ONCE A DAY around 5pm CST. So i'll just have to wait. It's been over a week now and I have a total of 3 replies from Ceton and they make sure not to post a support number on their site.

These guys are so horrible everyone, please stay away from them:
Update:

Fresh Windows Install on a PC
No Software other than the Ceton Drivers installed clean
WMC fresh, no configuration or plugins.

Ceton is reset back to the network settings default which is a DHCP Server at 192.168.200.1

Ceton plugged DIRECTLY into network port on fresh PC. PC Receives 192.168.200.7 IP from the Ceton.

Diagnostic utility still cannot find the tuner. WMC cannot find Tuner as well.

I can browse to the tuner's default IP address 192.168.200.1 through a browser as usual.

So please tell me again how this is a third party piece of software and hardware causing this?

Remember, Ceton is plugged directly in. No router, no firewall, no software, nothing.
and
I set the network back to a static IP rather than a DHCP server and put it back on the network. The Ceton tools started finding the tuner occasionally (sometimes yes sometimes no). However, rarely do the options in the diag go green. There's either a CableCard not detected error or a "cable company entered information wrong" error, etc.

I got WMC to tune a channel for about 5 minutes, but it locked up constantly. eventually it just said no tuner available and stopped working, then the Ceton Diag also said no tuner available.

The NIC in the Ceton appears to be failing. Please authorize an RMA. I've been without TV for over a week now and your support is extremely unresponsive.
Waiting to see what their response is. They said they would penalize me for updating a ticket with more than one reply by delaying their response to the ticket, but I don't care.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Cirdecus wrote:Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH, Model number: 5504-DCT06EX-ETH
That is 25% of my question answered. What about the other 75% ? I will re-phrase the question.

2 Are you using a TA? Yes or No would suffice. If yes, what model?

3-a What is the model number of the NIC that the ETH6 is plugged into?
3-b What is the model number of the other NIC in the HTPC?
3-c Or is this a Dual Port NIC?

4 Is the USB on the ETH 6 plugged into anything? If yes, WHAT? If no, it doesn't matter. Yes or No?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm

Cirdecus wrote:I can execute it and it opens the Ceton Diag utility. I have UAC turned off so it doesn't pop a warning for me.

I have been using the diag utility for a while now trying to troubleshoot so it is open.
So you got a brand new build, and the first thing you do is "Turn Off UAC". Did you ever stop and think that maybe Ceton Diagnostics (or something else) might need that?

Post#10 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:04 pm

Alright update:

Fresh Windows Install.
No Software other than the Ceton Drivers installed clean
WMC fresh, no configuration or plugins.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:42 pm

Eric from Ceton has said that the ETH works fine without any driver at all. So software and driver issues can be ruled out.

This is either hardware failure or a network issue.

EDIT: I take that back. You must run DCA at least.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:58 pm

No I haven't thought about Ceton needing UAC turned on. Nothing in my technical experience would think that Ceton does. I've also had UAC off for 5 years without problem.

Sorry i missed the other questions:

1) Gave you model number
2) Yes Charter requires a tuning adapter

Coax Cable coming into Home-------> 3 way splitter
------> 1 cable to Internet Modem

------> 1 cable to Motorola Tuning Adapter (input) -----> USB to Ceton InfiniTV 6

------> 1 cable to Ceton InfiniTV 6 ------> Ethernet CAT 5e to HP 1810 48G Managed Switch ------> Ethernet Cat 5e to ASUS RT-87U Router ------> Ethernet CAT 5e to Motorola Charter Modem (WAN)

WMC PC 1 -----> CAT 5e cable to HP 1810 48G Switch
WMC PC 2 -----> CAT 5e cable to HP 1810 48G Switch
XBOX 360 Extender ------> CAT 5e to HP 1810 48G Switch

CETON InfiniTV 6 ETH - Configured with no DHCP server settings and a static IP on the same network: 10.0.0.0/24
HP 1810-48G Managed switch - has latest firmware, no VLANS or any other non-default setting other than IP address and name.
ASUS RT-87U router has latest firmware and uPnP is enabled. No other QoS or non-standard config changes DHCP in the 10.0.0.100-200 range, static IP's are below 10.0.0.50
WMC PC 1 - has latest drivers, no other software installed other than the Ceton drivers and windows updates
WMC PC 2 - has latest drivers, orignal WMC PC that has been operating fine. Removed firewall and malware software while troubleshooting
Motorola Tuning Adapter Model - MTR700 has solid orange light always
I have replaced both the Motorola CableCard and Tuning Adapter a few days ago and successfully paired both.

Coax Cable is a new run (less than 12 months old), no couplers or other crap, just the single 3-way required for internet and TV. Total cable length from endpoints to outside of home is ~35ft

Testing Environment:

I tested using the fresh WMC PC1 by pluging the Ceton 6 directly into a secondary NIC and turned on DHCP default Network settings, making the CETON 192.168.200.1 and handing out IP's in the same subnet.
Intel Ehternet I211 Giganet NICS (both of them).

As mentioned earlier, the Ceton can be access directly with a browser with no problems.

Hope this clarifies! Thank you for helping!
Last edited by Cirdecus on Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:00 pm

I'm having trouble with formatting for the wire diagram, i'll keep editing to see if i can get it to display correctly

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Cirdecus wrote:I've also had UAC off for 5 years without problem.
Except for two dead tuners and the third is bleeding like a stuck pig.

I would suggest you return the UAC settings to their default.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:52 pm

First thing I do on all my systems is turn off UAC. It's never been a problem for me either and has nothing to do with the network issues at play here. UPNP, on the other hand, is probably required and should be turned on in the router.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Yep have uPnP turned on.

UAC can be on or off, it shouldn't matter, but I can turn it back on, no problem.

I think my test which eliminated my router and switch should have been enough to kill any potential network problem, unless there's some kind of deep configuration in the Ceton that needs to change. OR maybe the firmware is bad and needs reloaded. I can't find anywhere on the Ceton site where i can download a firmware file though.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:15 pm

I found a post from 2011 (different Ceton tuner) Ceton Diagnostics Problems.
Pay special attention to all the posts by john248 (he is a member here, and knows a lot about tuners, CableCards, and TA's)

Some of the causes mentioned are:

programs that do scans or automatic login

Some of the cures mentioned are:

dump the tuner data (which we did all ready with the checkmark in the reset box)

What do you have on your network that might be scanning your tuner? Smart TV? DLNA Server?

Do you have anything installed that might be running automatic login? I know you shut off UAC so you don't have to click OK. Have you also bypassed the windows login?

http://missingremote.com/forums/ceton-i ... ard-issues

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks again for helping everyone.

I've been playing with this thing today and sometimes i can get it to detect the tuner, but WMC usually fails to find the tuner after the TV Signal setup finishes. Sometimes after 10 minutes, it will tune a basic channel, but after maybe 15 minutes, it will stop and say "no tuner available".

Occasionally when going through TV Setup, It will only detect certain tuners, like Tuner 1, Tuner 3, Tuner 6 and I have to constantly clear and rediscover the tuners. It's pretty nutty.

Ceton continues to blame everything but their InfiniTV. I honestly think they want me to spend another $299 on a replacement even though the one i'm using is in warranty until next March. I can't go a month without Television without a divorce lol.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks Crash, good find. Let me read through that thread and I"ll post a reply.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:24 pm

Cirdecus wrote:I can't find anywhere on the Ceton site where i can download a firmware file though.
The firmware can be downloaded through the Ceton Diagnostic.

You will need your 2nd NIC plugged in to the internet.
Attachments
Diagnostic005.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:43 pm

Cirdecus wrote: unless there's some kind of deep configuration in the Ceton that needs to change.
We can have a look at that if you want. First stop is this one, just click Details. Could you show us a Snip or a screencap
Attachments
InfiniNetwork001.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:48 pm

2nd one click Properties, then Advanced, then Support Bridging.

BTW.....don't change anything just yet. We are just looking right now.
Attachments
InfiniNetwork002.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:53 pm

3rd line em up nice and straight so we can see all 4 in on picture.

From the left click Properties, Internet Protocol Version 4, Properties, General, and finally Advanced.
Attachments
InfiniNetwork003.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:03 pm

4th is a little tricky to get to.

On the keyboard press the alt key, use right arrow to move over to Advanced, then down arrow to Advanced Settings,

to get the screen cap... on the keyboard, hit the print screen key, then open up paint, and click Paste

Snipping tool is easier.
Attachments
InfiniNetwork005.jpg
InfiniNetwork004.JPG

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks Crash.

The tool allows you to UPDATE firmware but thats it. You can't upload your own firmware manually in order to rest or reload it. I can't follow the steps on the other screenshots because none of my PC's have a Ceton network adapter in the network properties.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:28 pm

I looked at the other post and it seems that the card was stuck in a bridge mode. However, I'm not sure how to check the setting or even remove it if this is the problem. I did notice that he was having the same problem and even started having issues when he started handing out tuners to various PCs.

Again, i have no network connection labeled CETON in my net adapters, so i can't really check the settings there.