Setting a dummy EPG

Vortex7

HTPC Specs: Show details

Setting a dummy EPG

Post by Vortex7 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:02 am

Hi Everyone,

I have a RF modulator to turn a HDMI input to a channel on WMC. I have set the channel to ch100, but obviously there is no EPG guide for this channel.

I'm trying to find a way to set a dummy EPG for this channel, I just want the EPG to say, "Use FOXTEL remote to change channel"

Unfortunately I'm trying to make my MC7 box "wife" proof which is proving to be quite challenging LOL -

Any suggestions would be grateful,

Damo -

tad

Post by tad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:22 pm

I don't know of a solution to your problem, but I am curious what you are trying to accomplish by feeding your cable box into WMC via a RF modulator?

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:08 pm

Accessing the cable box's on-demand features within wmc...

This could also be accomplished with a universal remote and switching inputs, albeit you would lost the ability to record via wmc.

To answer the OP's question I know that you can manually add qam channels via the setup menu? Is that the issue, or do you have the channel in your guide and you want to change the guide information to say something.

Vortex7

Post by Vortex7 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:25 am

Hi,

I have a roku3 box on a separate network with a VPN service on that network to the US (I live in Australia) for US Netflix and Hulu Plus and also Foxtel (Cable TV). Both of these devices I have connected to RF Modulators so that the 2X HDMI inputs are channel 100 and 101. This allows me to access the channels via the 3X MCE extenders I have in the house and allows my wife to control any TV + Roku3 + Foxtel all from her ipad without having to switch inputs or having 3X remotes. We have a long house and most IR sender units don't work in our place and hence I have 2X universal remotes, but they are not that reliable if the doors are closed in the hallway which is a must do with a new born at home. The Idea is to allow all free to air + Cable + Roku3 all running through the media center / extenders with all the basic functions working off the MCE remotes or an ipad /iphone /android device plus also allows us to record any channel from any extender or WMC box. My issue is that there is obviously no EPG for my RF channels and want to add the custom EPG of "Use Foxtel Remote to Tablet to Change Channel" and "Use Roku Remote or Tablet to change channel" to the EPG so I can make it as "WIFE PROOF" as possible. I have found some software "Big Screen EPG yesterday and installed it (in Trial Mode) and looks like I have a solution to setup dummy channels and add EPGs to the channel. I'm keen to see when the trial runs out and the software reverts to the "free" Version if it still works -

So I think I have found a solution to adding a custom EPG to a dummy channel.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to read my post

Damo

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Vortex7 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have a RF modulator to turn a HDMI input to a channel on WMC. I have set the channel to ch100, but obviously there is no EPG guide for this channel.

I'm trying to find a way to set a dummy EPG for this channel, I just want the EPG to say, "Use FOXTEL remote to change channel"

Unfortunately I'm trying to make my MC7 box "wife" proof which is proving to be quite challenging LOL -

Any suggestions would be grateful,

Damo -
The most you can do is edit listings and chose a channel that has no Data or something like that available... Through WMC.

I have never seen anyone attempt to put a custom message in place of guide data.. As it may be possable, I dont think it would be an easy thing. Look over some of the details on hacking in 3rd party guide data, as it comes down into XML format, you might be able to edit it but, you take the chance of breaking other guide data or having to edit the file weekly to have this info in place (maybe scripted out ?)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012