WMC Guide not working

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
daltonporter

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Guide not working

Post by daltonporter » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:37 pm

Is the guide service not working or is it something on my side? I have tried several times in WMC to download the guide.
Is there any way to tell outside of having a working guide if the guide service is working?
It seems to have stopped around 10/21 for no apparent reason.

I have Win7 Home Preimium + Fios in Grapevine, TX

Thanks.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:02 am

Are you getting an error when you instigate a guide update? You can try flushing your DNS.

You may have to resort to running TV setup again, perhaps under a neighboring zip code but you'll have to edit your channels again. Recording schedule will remain intact.

Jefronty

Post by Jefronty » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:05 pm

I got a HDHomerun Prime this Summer and I've never been able to download the guide. I've successfully added my tuner and can watch and record (specify channel and time), but every time I try the signal setup I get the following error when it attempts to get the guide info.

Also under settings>TV>Guide I don't even have an update option. It only shows Edit Channels, Edit Favorite Lineups, Guide Page Options, Guide Terms of Service

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:19 pm

^ What steps have you taken at an attempt to rectify?

The link below sums up my response above.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =96&t=9179

Any guide issue that I've had was fixed by changing zip codes or flushing DNS.

daltonporter

Post by daltonporter » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 pm

I've made sure that I'm using google dns, done ipconfig /flushdns.
I've also tried using a different zip and disable/re-enble WMC.
Nothing has worked.
When WMC tries to download the guide, it looks like it just hangs. Does anyone know what traffic I can look for in wireshark to see if it's even trying?

daltonporter

Post by daltonporter » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:55 pm

The guide started working again! I'm not sure if it was something that I did or something on the remote side.

The list that I had done was:
update WMC pc to use google dns
uninstall the WMC feature
install the WMC feature
go through WMC custom setup
remove extenders
reboot WMC pc
add extenders

Jefronty

Post by Jefronty » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:57 pm

I still have had no success getting guide data. I tried ipconfig /flushdns, and still got the same error pictured above.
I've tried numerous zip codes, some that are not even close to me. I have tried this with fiddler open and did not see any network traffic while WMC is apparently requesting guide data. Nothing up or down. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I looked at the post mcewinter recommended and from there I was able to verify that my zip code does have guide data available on MSN (http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings)

daltonporter

Post by daltonporter » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Update: guide went blank again about 2 weeks later.
Uninstall feature, reboot, reinstall feature fixed the guide again - but what a pain!
I also had to uninstall/reinstall my extenders.

Before this reset, I noticed in the event viewer en error about nettv: package name is invalid

tmbeck7

Post by tmbeck7 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm

My cable TV provider is Mediacom Cable and my zip code is 52404.

I spent a few hours on Saturday and went through each channel and when I went to Edit Listing and searched for the channel on the list and selected and saved the change, only then did the program title description show up on the guide. However, I am not sure if it will continue to work, when the guide updates. This did fix the guide but not sure for how long.

The guide used to show it as Mediacom LLC Cedar Rapids Digital ID 28511742

Now it shows it as Cdr Rpds-Wtrlo-Iwac OTA Antenna ID 309582087

I have digital cable, not Over The Air, so this might not even be the right guide, even though in setup I selected cable.

It still created an error in the log, when it tried to update last night still saying it "Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)"

There are thousands of others that are having this same issue. I am hoping you can get to the bottom of this and release some sort of fix. Mediacom, Rovi and Hauppauge (tuner card) all point to someone else being at fault.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:11 pm

'nettv' is related to the internet TV feature that is no longer supported. With that said, the error is to be expected. If your guide is dsiplaying accurate information, then there is nothing to fix. Although, selecting cable for OTA signal is incorrect...but if it's working...