Watch copy protected contact after a reinstall?

skepticon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Watch copy protected contact after a reinstall?

Post by skepticon » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm going to have to reinstall Windows 7 on my machine.
I've got a ton of content that's been recorded via CableCard, that I obviously want to be able to watch after I reinstall the OS.

Is this possible? Can I just back up a token or something prior to formatting, and then import that token after the reinstall to be able to watch that content?
If so, please point me to those instructions.

Thank you.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:36 pm

No, If they are DRM'ed your SOL if you rebuild your machine, there is no official way to backup keys. Your best bet If you want to keep your recordings is to repair/fix your current install.

Now, just because it was recorded via cablecard, does not mean it was protected, I would check file by file to see if they are all protected, you would be shocked, unless they are all recordings from Premium channels, they might not all be protected...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:55 am

Whether or not they're all protected depends on the provider => e.g. Time Warner marks EVERYTHING as Copy Once ... so it's all "protected". (Except the mandated broadcast channels)

This is probably THE biggest flaw in the CCF system. Computers can and DO crash ... and there absolutely should be some way to transfer the ID of the protected content to a different machine (after which, of course, only THAT machine could play the protected content).

But as far as I know, there's no way to do this => Although I've read that if you simply restore an IMAGE of the system to the same machine all will be well. If that's true, then as long as the hardware is okay, you should be able to effectively "reload" it by restoring a previously saved image.

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:04 pm

After thinking a bit more about this, I'm wondering if it really matters as long as you're reinstalling to the SAME machine. Since Windows will activate fine (due to the matching machine hash from the previous install), I wonder if it will generate the same Host ID for your cable cards. If so, I'd think it will work fine.

Definitely interested in the result -- let us know the results after the reinstall.