XBOX 360 laggy guide all of a sudden

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
glugglug

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by glugglug » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:29 pm

wyered1 wrote: Can you shed any more light on how the header in index.dat is being used? Is this for retrieving the images, or is it being used to populate the guide? I would think once the file is local, there wouldn't be a need for the header, but maybe this is some sort of local network optimization?
The index.dat is used to associate the URLs with cached filenames. The headers returned by the server include the expected file size to be downloaded (Content-Length) and the type of file (Content-Type), so that IE knows whether to display it as a JPEG or PNG -- not sure if WMC also looks at content type, or if it will try to download again if it thinks the file is incomplete due to a mismatched content-length.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm

trashcanman wrote:Win 8.1 x64
Ceton 4 tuner
TWC So Cal

I have seen some posts but have not seen any improvement of the performance of either the regular guide being slow/choppy or tuning to the Movie Guide totally locking up the extender.

Is this being worked on?

Not that there is anything I can do about it but I have been trying to be very patient over the last month and half hoping this would all smooth out but it is not.

Thanks

[Moderator note: topic merged]
See Glugglug's suggestion on page 2 of this thread. It totally worked on both of my wired and wireless extenders. You're going to have to fix it yourself if you want results anytime soon.

wyered1

Post by wyered1 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 pm

glugglug wrote:
wyered1 wrote: Can you shed any more light on how the header in index.dat is being used? Is this for retrieving the images, or is it being used to populate the guide? I would think once the file is local, there wouldn't be a need for the header, but maybe this is some sort of local network optimization?
The index.dat is used to associate the URLs with cached filenames. The headers returned by the server include the expected file size to be downloaded (Content-Length) and the type of file (Content-Type), so that IE knows whether to display it as a JPEG or PNG -- not sure if WMC also looks at content type, or if it will try to download again if it thinks the file is incomplete due to a mismatched content-length.
You're right. I don't know what the catch for that is either, closed-source problems. I could resize the whole folder images manually and then pull up a guide on the extender just to test this, but it won't help unless we can figure out a way to have a process running to do this automatically.

grungymegajeff

Post by grungymegajeff » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:34 am

This evening I am noticing an improvement in the guide performance on my Xbox 360 extender. I have not made any changes to my own WMC configuration so perhaps Rovi has made a change? Has anyone else noticed a difference?

BobRetro

Post by BobRetro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:52 am

grungymegajeff wrote:This evening I am noticing an improvement in the guide performance on my Xbox 360 extender. I have not made any changes to my own WMC configuration so perhaps Rovi has made a change? Has anyone else noticed a difference?
Yes! It's back to normal. I just turned the pictures back on in the movie guide and it's about as fast as ever! The guide pictures load instantly.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:19 am

I just wanted to chime in, yes it appears they fixed the size (either resolution or more compressed or both) of the images. I am now able to use the movie guide again where as before it would freeze trying to load all the images.

Edit: It appears to be both resolution and compression fixed. A little too low for my liking, but better than too large.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:00 am

Thanks for heads up everyone. I reverted back to my original hosts file and checked the guide on wireless and wired xbox 360s. Both guides working normal with picture preview of show. Movie library back to normal also. I checked the cached files in temporary IE 5 directory and all .cached images files are less than 20KB. Good job Microsoft/Rovi!

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:55 am

It seems the image mismatching is worse now though.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:06 pm

Nice - thanks for checking on this and letting us know it looked good again. Mine seems to be working at full speed, and with a bit of searching I could not find any mismatches. All the channels I watch were fine, and that bank of kid's channels that were way off (like the one that only showed cooking show images or the one that showed Spanish language dramas) are all on the money now.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:01 pm

I removed the lines added to remove images and the images are DEFINITELY quicker now. I am amazed Microsoft/Rovi fixed this as I thought they don't care about WMC anymore :(

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:03 pm

Ed  wrote:It seems the image mismatching is worse now though.
My guide data/images seem to be correctly matching now. Hopefully it was just an initial thing after restoring images, and won't go back and forth between being a mess and being correct. Only thing left for me is 'Premiere' and 'Finale' flags need to be restored/included in the Rovi metadata.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:34 pm

Still getting mismatched guide images here through a regular mcupdate. The images change every day!